How much is a reaonable price to charge for TV shows?

theaveng

Let's use Stargate SG1 as our "template".

- What's a reasonable price for a season set on dvd?

- What's a reasonable price for each episode via download?

For dvds, I think $40-50 is reasonable.

For downloads, I wouldn't pay any amount. I prefer dvds.

troy

If you pay a subscription to a cable network, or a licence fee (as to the BBc here in dear old Blightly) to watch something, I don't see why you should have to pay to download a TV show - after all you don't have to pay the network to record your favourite show on videa/dvd so why should you pay to store it on your PC.

On DVD (as it is now, if they change it so that it only works with a code and for so many viewings, etc, it had better be less) I would say that 30-35 bucks is reasonable for a season of a half hour show, and that for a full hour show like stargate maybe 55-60.

As for downloads, without copy protection/ads .99 per episode. With copy protection .49, and with ads free.

Note that all of my figures are in American dollars.

I think... $140 australian for a seven disc set of stargate.That's around $105 US.

To download: $2.25 US per episode, ads included.

It would be cool if the would sell 175mb encodes to watch on the computer. Less discs, cheaper, but I doubt they could go for an underpriced option like that.

:rolleyes:

On Amazon.co.uk, I've been buying Stargate Seasons for a tad over £20. Got 1-4 so far, uberally happy with the price, especially as in shops you buy 1/6 of a season for £15-20....stupid eh

I wont buy a season of anything over £25. Too much :P

If you pay a subscription to a cable network' date=' or a licence fee (as to the BBc here in dear old Blightly) to watch something, [/quote']

What about the shows that appear on free TV, like Star Trek or X-Files? Shouldn't you have to pay for them?

troy

I dont know about in the rest of the world but the biggest culprit for taking a large slice of the DVD cake is actually the retailers, normally about 25%- 30% region hence why i would prefer buying the download as you wouldnt be paying for packaging, supplier or the retail robbing gits.

If you pay a subscription to a cable network' date=' or a licence fee (as to the BBc here in dear old Blightly) to watch something, [/quote']

What about the shows that appear on free TV, like Star Trek or X-Files? Shouldn't you have to pay for them?

troy

a big NO!! why, free tv is always years behind pay tv, and any self respecting fan would buy them anyway,

troy

a big NO!! why, free tv is always years behind pay tv, and any self respecting fan would buy them anyway,

If you pay a subscription to a cable network' date=' or a licence fee (as to the BBc here in dear old Blightly) to watch something, I don't see why you should have to pay to download a TV show -[/quote']

You didn't answer my question. Shouldn't you have to pay to download Trek or X-Files, which are broadcast over the air (free)?

troy

to download with ads it should be free as the ads pay for it and we watch them.

to download with no ads then i might grudgingly pay £1 ($1.8us)

I disagree with you there. You can just skip directly past the ads, it's much less hassle than fast forwarding, and you never watch them. On TV you're forced to watch the ads, or at least wait them out.

If you pay a subscription to a cable network' date=' or a licence fee (as to the BBc here in dear old Blightly) to watch something, I don't see why you should have to pay to download a TV show -[/quote']

You didn't answer my question. Shouldn't you have to pay to download Trek or X-Files, which are broadcast over the air (free)?

troy

Again the company has already made a profit from commercial revenue and you've paid by having to sit through the adverts. No-one would object if used a dvd recorder so why object to dling on a PC.

troy

Again the company has already made a profit from commercial revenue and you've paid by having to sit through the adverts. No-one would object if used a dvd recorder so why object to dling on a PC.

Because using a DVD recorder is different. It's for personal home use only. Downloading via bittorrent includes sharing with large amounts of people. And with downloading how do they KNOW that you've sat trhough the adverts but forgot to record the episode/movie?

(The quotes are getting out of control :p)

And with downloading how do they KNOW that you've sat trhough the adverts but forgot to record the episode/movie?

Whereas with downloading, I only have to sit through the download, while I'm watching the adverts on TV that go with another show. :rolleyes:

(The quotes are getting out of control :p)

I wondered why I was getting seasick. (Somebody please reset the inertial dampers before I throw up.)

Shouldn't you have to pay to download Trek or X-Files' date=' which are broadcast over the air (free)?[/quote'] Again the company has already made a profit from commercial revenue...

Accept they didn't. Star Trek (and most shows) are *losing* money during the first run. They are in debt.

They don't make profit until they are sold direct (either to customers or station managers) several years later.

troy