Federation Defences

Beawulf

And what do you mean when you say that the klingons dont help the federation. At wolf 359 they sent a fleet to back up the frderation fleet. I didnt see the derilect klingon ships though but i remember hearing that they sent one.

SO the Federation doesnt need a very large force when they have somany allies and frineds.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. Let me compare the situation to the real world (dangerous, I know).

But basically, in the unlikely event of Britain being invaded by some random country - sure we've got plenty of powerful allies like the US but the fact is, if you have a big invasion force it takes a while to marshal forces and respond. By which point our defences would have been overwhelmed and the enemy could have dug in.

Essentially, while theoretically having plenty of allies is a good way to reduce your own need for forces it's no substitute for your own forces. Essentially, you're assuming ideal conditions if the Federation are attacked. That they're enjoying good relations with their neighbours, that they're neighbours don't have anything to worry about and that they can respond quickly enough.

As I said before - just look at the way the Founders manipulated all the major powers in the Alpha Quadrant and at how quickly the Federation and Klingons went from being best buds to being at war with one another. Essentially, basing your defence policy on the benevolence of others is a good way to end up being part of someone else's Empire.

Really, to say that some other powers forces count towards the Federation's own defences is tenuous at best.

Really, to say that some other powers forces count towards the Federation's own defences is tenuous at best.

Well i think it does - The Federation grows so colonies and planets need to be protected - klingon colonies need to be protected by the federation as well as by klingons - the Federation and other races share defences - the federation might count towards the klingons defences

I'm afraid I can't agree with that. Let me compare the situation to the real world (dangerous, I know).

But basically, in the unlikely event of Britain being invaded by some random country - sure we've got plenty of powerful allies like the US but the fact is, if you have a big invasion force it takes a while to marshal forces and respond. By which point our defences would have been overwhelmed and the enemy could have dug in.

Essentially, while theoretically having plenty of allies is a good way to reduce your own need for forces it's no substitute for your own forces. Essentially, you're assuming ideal conditions if the Federation are attacked. That they're enjoying good relations with their neighbours, that they're neighbours don't have anything to worry about and that they can respond quickly enough.

As I said before - just look at the way the Founders manipulated all the major powers in the Alpha Quadrant and at how quickly the Federation and Klingons went from being best buds to being at war with one another. Essentially, basing your defence policy on the benevolence of others is a good way to end up being part of someone else's Empire.

Dont worry about being invaded if you live in the UK, your friends will be there in hours. America has 25 of the worlds 35 air craft carriers and they are usually all on the water prepared for attk. Ever since america made powerful enimes we are ready for them. Also i dont think any one in the world except the US/UK has enough gas to lunch a succesful invasion. :)

• 3 weeks later...

hehehe.

I am curious what design flaws the defiant had, both of the ships named defiant appeared to run fantastically and kicked butt, dont remember the shields powering down at a critical moment or anything like that. I dont see the justification for scrapping the design

hehehe.

I am curious what design flaws the defiant had, both of the ships named defiant appeared to run fantastically and kicked butt, dont remember the shields powering down at a critical moment or anything like that. I dont see the justification for scrapping the design

Several factors really:

1. The fact that only the first defiant had the cloak

2. It was over-powered for such a small ship

3. It was a warship and the federation dosn't beleive in warships

4. erm.....well i'm sure there are more.....whatever they are.....

well i think that it is b/c the defient was made after the borg threat for the purpose of fighting the borg. Well It wasn't long after 359 that the Federation was tossed into another war, with the Dominion. they probly scrapped the production due to the lack of

1) man powerer

2) materials (probly need for refitting other star ships into the warships,i.eEnterprise)

3) time (the federation was under attk, probly didnt have time or space to built them)

4) lack of interest. federation probly wasnt possitive about it. i.e the design flaws.

All in all it was a really good ship. It was a strong littel ship. But every one refers to it as a warship when i didnt see the power in it to call it a warship. it was no bigger than a ber 'el class (bird of prey, klingon). To me a real war ship would be a Enterprise E, or a Dominion battel crusier, or a Romulan Warbird, Neg' var, or the Remen Scitimer.

I only saw it take down a few Dominion destroyers which are only about as strong as a bird of prey.

I cant find earth in any of the maps' date=' is it where wolf 359 is?[/quote']

you see 'Sol' - that's our solar system :)

and unlike most of the other major powers on that map - if it's acurate - the Federaion is like the only power to have it's main planet 'earth' near the centre of there territory - all the other races have there homeworlds near the front line

Just how are people putting these maps together? Are they basing them on actual star maps and then just referring to continuity to fill in a powers' borders?

It's pretty cool to actually see a map though and it looks like all of these represent quite a bit of work... I just wish that Trek would respect these things a bit better. It often seems that they can travel at the speed of plot.

I had no idea Trill was so close to Bajor! :o

Also - there are two Breen Systems - i don't think these are acurate - Trill is too exposed there - the Dominion War would have seen that a conqured planet if it was there