Federation Defences

Beawulf

What do you think of the federations defences?

Personally I think they never really made enough of an effort to build up the fleet with a large number of strong ships, just incase they need to defend themselves. They had plenty of scares that should have made them think, xindi, borg, klingons and the romulans to name a few.

consider the defences the federation had in "best of both worlds" where the borg attack. The extent of the defence they could put up was 20ish ships which were easily dispatched by one cube, and then when the borg got to the sol system the defences there consisted of 3 missiles. That's all for starfleet headquaters? Even after that threat I dont think they put enough resources into really beefing up the fleet.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It totally sucks, With that kind of resources they should have invested a lot more in defences. It's always the next ship is 7 days away at warp 9, I mean damn, that means buy three ships fly into federation space destroy one ship and you have penetrated their defences. They should have build massive ships, like we always do. Even the terrran empire wasn't confincing, if it were truly an terran empire it would have had massive draednaught's with hundreds of faserbanks etc.

Edit: Invested instead of infested ;)

Well, It's interresting, that all battle-thirsty kinds cant defeat Starfleet like Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Dominion, even Borg. So baybe there defences aren't weak. But as seen on shows, I think that the borg queen has so poor tactic. ONLY WITH ONE CUBE to defeat and assimilate terrans. What a stupid queen. :p

during the dominion invasion, the federation had quite alot of ships though they consist of federation, klingons and romulans fleets.

But Overall defense? very poor, they should create a new series where the federation is destroyed by some new powerful alien. But of cause in the last season the federation manage to prevail and the federation lives on.

I agree, the Federation does not have a strong military. But that is because that is in conflict with their philosophy! They prefer talking it out.

Their tactics go a bit like this:

- small fleet really spread out thin

- invasion force destroys one or two ships in one sector

- a lot of ships from other sectors come to the rescue but before they get there, the Federation need to 'give' some serious territory away to the invasion force

- two fleets meet, the Federation tries to cripple as much from the invaders as possible and then goes to the conference table to make some sort of treaty...

Remember that the Federation is extremely anti-militaristic. If you compare that to the US for example, you get that the US is more like the Cardassians than like the Federation (imho).

The Federation does actually have a massive fleet - see DS9 - I really do like the scenes where we see there massive fleets in DS9 - it really does make the Federation seem powerful - i'd like to have seen more of this in the films - I wander what else they could have done to enhance the fleet with the full budget of a movie

^^Whathesiad^^

lol

I agree with you. And the Federation do have rather poor defences. Even with diplomacy as their defence they shouldn't be this...lazy. There should be heavily shielded phaser and torpedo turrets around ALL federation worlds - Or at least near the Sol System. Nobody should be able to enter the Sol system without good cause; or being destroyed :P

btw one threat you forgot; Shinzon and the Scimitar. But remeber - he could have "gone within 10 meters of every ship in starfleet" without being detected :p

What about the cannon on the moon for diverting asteroids in Enterprise? You figure that in more than 100 years something better could be made, and with the range and accuracy of the thing (picking of a building from Mars is a bit like shooting a flea off a dog at 100 yards) that should have been a hinderance to the Borg.

Of course all this was created in the 22nd century this year, so that wasn't even thought of in the 24th century a few years ago so it holds no bearing on todays discussion. (yeah, wrap your brain around that!)

Darn Str8!

The Federation does actually have a massive fleet - see DS9 - I really do like the scenes where we see there massive fleets in DS9 - it really does make the Federation seem powerful - i'd like to have seen more of this in the films - I wander what else they could have done to enhance the fleet with the full budget of a movie

Dont forget they had other races in the fleet as well. But they did start building up the forces until they were at war, which I think is too late, they should have learnt from previous experience to be prepared. To be well defended doesnt turn them into a conquering race or compromise the philosophy. they could still continue to explore, and in fact, with more ships they could explore more, safely.

btw, defence is the UK/Australian spelling, and defense is the US spelling :P

I think that it is just fine, it apperintly worked. besieds why make more ships that would have turned the federation from an exploring race to a military race, and it would be just like the roumulans say then, "the federation assimaltes just like the borg, but without others knowing it." or somthing like that...

^^Whathesiad^^

lol

I agree with you. And the Federation do have rather poor defences. Even with diplomacy as their defence they shouldn't be this...lazy. There should be heavily shielded phaser and torpedo turrets around ALL federation worlds - Or at least near the Sol System. Nobody should be able to enter the Sol system without good cause; or being destroyed :P

If your talkin about the terren sol. system, it is defended w/ the mars defence force. It is just that the borg walked right through it with out looking back.