TV: Threshold

NiteShdw

What did you think about the series premiere for Brannon Braga's Threshold?

I found the episode to be somewhat intriguing, but also somewhat predictable. For example, the 'security guard' at the water treatment plant (that somehow turned into some type of factory when they arrived).

I found the premise about as interesting as The 4400. I just hope the show ends up having better acting and better stories

Personally, I think Braga did a crappy job with Star Trek, but maybe he'll do better with someone of his own creation.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nite, I have only negative things to say about Threshold...

I decided to watch the premier because I heard it was kinda OK (per NYT) and Carla Gugino is pretty damn hot.

First I was horrified to see BB's name in the opening credits. Anyone who watched the recent decline of Trek understands why.

The main Carla Gugino character....what is she, like, Fox Mulder with a vagina.

Three geeks backing her up....that wasn't ripped off....I'll just call them Byers, Langley, and Frohicke until I start to remember their names.

Fractals, Chaos Theory, higher dimensions.....I would have been impressed about 8 years ago to see these concepts worked into a TV show, but not now. Maybe they'll reference String Theory in episode 2, that would be awsome!

I think Brannon Braga wanted to kill Star Trek, and Brent Spiner helped him do it, so the medical nerd role is Brent's reward.

I'll probably watch next week, but I think I'll cut myself off there out of respect to Chris Carter.

It does seem like an out of the ordainary Sci-Fi show, tying the genre in with a government organisation such as the NSA. It was funny sometimes hearing references to Star Trek, and hearing some words that would have only come from Braga's experience on Star Trek. It'll be interesting to see if the series pans out to be an arc based around this one extra-terrestrial threat or if it will move on to other areas. I still haven't decided whether I will keep on watching - it just doesn't seem to do anything for me as some other series' have.

Oh yeah, I cringed at the mention of Klingons and anti-matter.

I predict that a time paradox will be introduced into the storyline no later than episode 5. Would anyone like to bet? The wager is, the loser has to seed the winner's torrent of choice for a solid month or risk being kicked off the forum (pending Nite's approval).

I predict that a time paradox will be introduced into the storyline no later than episode 5. Would anyone like to bet? The wager is, the loser has to seed the winner's torrent of choice for a solid month or risk being kicked off the forum (pending Nite's approval).

Based on Braga's Star Trek experience... I'd give it 10:1 odds that some weird time travel event will occur.

I agree with everyone that Braga killed Trek, but we are talking about a whole new show here. I believe the show has potential, but it also has potential to suck badly. I am a fan of story-arcs, or continunity, and I think that this show has that potential.

I'll continue to follow the show until I get bored of it. That's what happened with The 4400. It had a good premise but got boring really quickly.

saw ep 1 and 2 not that good yet, the story so far has been very predictable so I'll keep watching to see where it goes.

2 more series to look out for supernatrual and surface.

I'm so happy atleast scfi shows are begining to come back. I really hated reality tv.

a good site to keep up to date on the recent tv series

TV Tome

The 9/23 episode was totally lame. This is sci-fi by people without imagination. And just plain bad writing.

The premise might have been pitched like this to the network execs: It's like Ally McBeal meets Alias meets Dark Skies.

I would rather watch those three shows simultaneously than watch Threshold.

I've watched the first 3 episodes as well. I do think they focus too much on the lead character. It's such a large ensamble cast, they could really do a lot more. However, I have found that the 'twists' are really predictable. Oh, and I'm starting to get sick of the word 'infected'. "they aren't infected" "are they infected" "I tested them for the infection" "No sign of infection" GAH!!

The show has promise, I believe, but only time will tell if they can come up with more intriguing stories. The 4400 lost me after about 5 episodes.

this TV season is pretty good for all sci-fi fans. theres Threshold, Invasion, Surface, Supernatural etc. but i must say that Threshold is the weakest of them all, at least so far. i have watched 2-4 first episodes of the series i mentioned and Threshold is the only 1 that made me say "what the f....!?".

"you have just become the most important person on the planet" - i laughed my but off when i first heard it... it just did not sound right... naive, childish and way too overused.

and i seriously hope they will find a good explanation for why did that object appear to a shipcrew of less than 20, when it could have appeared in central New York? or in any other place in the world? i mean, if u are about to "bioform" entire planet, where would u start?

the general idea of mutating DNA with soundwaves does not sound too bad, but the fact that the red team was so easily able to isolate it and "replay" parts of it reminds me of Star Trek, where they had a solution for every (technical) obstacle ("can u modify the sensors"? - "yes, captain")

its (wo)men in black chasing monsters again.

but i will keep watching, i just cant help it.

Hey the 4400 gets really good when you've seen the 2 seasons, and it's really worth watching - consider this; most TREK have sucked until the end of the 2nd season, so if 4400 takes a few eps to get good, I think that's really strong. I'm going to check out this show to see what it is ASAP!

Guest c4evap
I just watched the first 3 episodes of this new series, and think it is really good.

Perhaps opinions would be different if it were not known that Braga was involved..........?

I enjoy this show as well. I didn't know Braga was involved but it wouldn't have made a difference to me. Seems a lot of people here didn't care for it though.

c4 B)

I'm actively watching Treshold as much as I can - seen the 4 available Eps already, and I must say I enjoy it - though I wouldn't want to 'compare' it to Firefly or other high-class shows, but it's at least above 'OK' on my scale (I usually have so called high standards and I'm picky!) and so in terms of OK, I though Andromeda was excellent on occasion which kept me watching it, though the ending lowered my overall opinion to less then OK, and I think Treshold is at least watchable as I said, and hey the characters are kind of cool (while the story isn't THAT exciting thus far)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK. Now that "crystal/glass" stuff is spreading across the ocean floor. Maybe we'll get some action now. I'm still hoping this show picks up some speed before I die!

c4 B)