The name 'Niteshdw'

TFMF

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did this site really start?? I know it has been here for over a year (one of the oldest active members thejman (our stargate encoder) signed up on the 14th of june 2004) but how long exactly?

I've been here a long time but i've never figured out when this site actually started.

When did this site really start?? I know it has been here for over a year (one of the oldest active members thejman (our stargate encoder) signed up on the 14th of june 2004) but how long exactly?

I've been here a long time but i've never figured out when this site actually started.

You've been here longer than Nite

I joined back in November and remember when all the tracker had on it was nites encodes and a few others encodes of Star Trek. Nites encodes only consisted of Enterprise and some of the movies. There were a few games on here at the time but only about 4 or 5, some sound files and some video clips. I think it had only 100 torrents up'd at that time.

Within a month we on this forum discussed the idea of adding more sci-fi on the tracker and in no time stargate sg-1 and Altantis was up and had its own subsection. that is the time I think the tracker started to become popular.

BTW, the name NiteShadow appeared in my head sometime around the age of 8 or 10. I used to use it for my name on BBSes, and even signed it in my journal (diary). The name was shortened to NiteShdw when certain applications back them wouldn't accept anything longer than 8 characters for a name (I think IRC was one of them).

I really picked up the name again when I started getting into the video encoding scene starting with Enterprise Season 3.

Oh my god.. BBS's.. a blast from the past.. I used to love those, even had one of my own..

Chris

Why did you decide to create a torrent site?

I originally downloaded Enterprise episodes from CHerron on IRC. It was there they I discovered that a number of the XDCC servers also had these weird files that ended in ".torrent".

I asked that they were all about. I found the 350mb rips of Enterprise, and decided that it would be useful to have an encode that was better quality than CHerron's 80mb, but easier to download than the 350mb. I originally released encodes at 115mb, then I moved to 175mb (though I made both versions through all of season 3).

Well, once I decided to start releasing my 115mb/175mb encodes, I found BNBT to use a tracker to host my torrents. (I didn't know about any free hosts back them) If you goggle niteshdw.dyndns.org you might still find a cached page of that BNBT server.

I eventually, for an unknown reason, moved into setting up a full website based on TorrentTrader, which I slowly hacked and modified. The site was originally "NiteShdw's Star Trek Torrents"... then became "NiteShdw's Sci-Fi Torrents" and on the to famous "NiteShdw's Sci-Fi Fansite and Forum".

As the site became more and more popular, I added categories for more and more Sci-Fi content. For example, previously there was only a single "Sci-Fi TV" category, which has now morphed into a dozen sub-categories.

Ah yes, the Star Trek torrents title. I remember it well. I first stumbled upon this site last fall. I had been searching the legal corners of the web to find avi file versions of the Star Trek and Star Wars original trilogy movies. When I found this site I did a little research to make sure this wasn't another Kazaa and signed up. Using BitTornado, I attempted to download files at home on a 36k modem. It didn't work. I tried at school and eventually succeeded in getting A New Hope, which wouldn't play on the school computers. I attempted to send the 700mb file home via 1.4mb diskettes. Suffice it to say it didn't work as it would have taken a very LONG time to bring the file home for viewing. In February after much frustration I finally got high speed internet. It took me maybe a half a week to get A New Hope and I fell in love with BitTorrent. Now I have ST III and IV, the original Star Wars trilogy, the pre-special edition versions of the original Star Wars trilogy (gotta love those very long titles) and Trinity and Beyond: the Atomic Bomb Movie. I would download slowly and I quickly found that it was impossible to seed at home. I would have to do this on the school computers. Getting some Star Trek episodes made this a more complete experience, especially the ENT episodes as I could not watch these on TV.

BitTorrent downloads should count towards TV ratings.

Thank you Nite for such a great site.

Q: When did the tracker/torrent site all begin?

If I remember correctly, I started my Enterprise encodes sometime around episode 4 or 5 of Season 3. That would make the start of the site sometime late-September, early-October, 2003

So, actually we're coming up on our 2 year anniversary!!

The forum was started much later. The forum got reset (forgot to remove the install folder) in mid-2004, so I would put the original creation of the forums sometime early to mid-2004.

I stumbled onto the site in the fall of 04 when I realized that UPN had moved Enterprise and I had missed the first several episodes. I was also just starting to use bittorrent. One of the other tracker sites had some NiteShdw encodes on them, so I followed the URL in the comment section.

That ruined my blog life. But there forums are more fun. It's been a great experience here. You people are one of the best eCrowds I've ever hung out with. Period. Bar none.

You've been here longer than Nite

That's because of the forums reset, that somehow affected his sign up date..... (or at least after that he had an different sign up date).... So I wasn't here before nite......:p....

Maybe a con would be at it's place... ? :D

I know the original idea 'sunk' but I think something would be in order and highly possible to orchestrate - in my case, by the end of this year my obligations are formally done so by that time I can pitch in, hang out, show up whenever whatever whatsoever.

Just planting some seeds...

Getting any reminders, GeneralLee, Elderbear?? :D