Gas Prices - Next 5 Years

synexo

Everyone invest in some solar panels now!! Or buy 1.5 million mice and get them running on the wheel and connect it to a dynamo! Its time for a power revolution! Or everyone can just eat lots of beans and we can start a methane farm. =p

=Han=

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given we measure in Canadian dollars per metric litre up here in Canada' date=' I'm not quite sure how to go about price guaging in this case... Okay, I admit it. I don't want to spend the time converting units on a calculator ;p[/quote']

With hurricane Rita getting ready to slam into the USA and the Houston, Texas area, with perhaps more force then Katrina did, gas prices have already climbed nearby where I live. Already some gas stations are selling gas for over $4.00 a gallon US. In a few days, it will climb again.

For those who like or want to convert things easily, and not have to reach for a calculator to do so...

Everyone invest in some solar panels now!! Or buy 1.5 million mice and get them running on the wheel and connect it to a dynamo! Its time for a power revolution! Or everyone can just eat lots of beans and we can start a methane farm. =p

=Han=

I've looked into this and there is actually a worldwide shortage of solar panels and prices have nearly doubled over the last 4 years, due to increased demand on silicon from chip-makers and increased demand for solar panels in europe. (solar panels and computer chips use the same type of silicon.)

(1) Why the heck is this in the Doctor Who section?

(2) I expect we'll see $4 a gallon by 2010... maybe even $5. It's inevitable: Limited supply & growing demand (chinese buying cars).

troy

I think your estimates are conservative. We'll be lucky if our gas supply lasts that long. One of my colleagues (a mathematician) is trying to predict the world’s oil production peak. While he has no conclusive results yet, he informs me that some recent papers on the topic suggest that there is a strong likelihood that our crude oil supply will become quite thin in the next 1-10 years. By 2010, oil is not likely to be a viable source of energy any more.

You see, I’m assuming that we won’t run the world completely dry of oil. The oil production rate is a function of the amount of oil left in the earth. It would be my guess that it will eventually become too difficult to extract oil in any large quantities, and so will lose its place as our major fuel source as other options become more economically viable.

So you see, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m not sure what people financial situation is, but my advice to everybody is to not get frustrated over the gas prices. Purchase gas with a bitter sweet feeling that the high gas prices will force companies to expand research in alternative fuel engines. This may just save your children or grand children or great grand children from a lot of hardship and perhaps even a painful death.

Our brothers in the US are paying a terrible price right now for their lax laws regarding environmental safety. My heart goes out to the families and loved ones of those killed or injured in the recent weather disturbances over southern USA. Many people are losing their lives because of the irresponsible decisions of the politicians and business men. Speaking as a physicist, gas powered vehicles should have gone out of style in the 80’s or even the 70’s. Alternatives have been around for a long time, but research was suppressed, because the corporate big-wigs were getting far too rich from the already well established oil market.

Get rid of SUVs and Trucks if you don’t really need them. When the gas prices get very high, the vehicle will lose its value and you will not be able to sell it. And I’d hold off from purchasing a new gas powered vehicle, you just may see some interesting alternatives in the near future.

Cheers and God bless.

If the car companies did R & D like the computer companies do.

We would be driving round in cars that do 200 miles to the gallon.

There was a guy who supposedly invented a carburator that got 200 mpg, but the bug eyed martian men came and bought his silence. Never would have worked anyway since fuel injection is what modern cars use. The key is in the TRANSMISSION and aerodynamics. Or finding some kind of magnetic force to propel vehicles.

Fuel prices were $3.40 for premium 93 just 3 weeks ago. I filled up yesterday at 2.71 and today it's 2.89! It used to be prices only jumped 5 cents a week, not 18 in 1 day!

I say reduce the speed limits to 55 since automakers are too stupid to increase transmission efficiency. They're all geared for fast 0-60 instead of slow start / high speed cruising like European cars. They can probably do 100 mph and still get 30mpg.

Get rid of SUVs and Trucks if you don’t really need them.

SUVs should be banned, and trucks should need a permit to own, by FARMERS! They have NO place on the freeway because they are unsafe and can roll over. How many trucks do you see on the Autobahn? Get a damn station wagon. VW and Audi make plenty. You'd spend the same amount of money on a piece of junk GM suburban / escalade, as you would on a top of the line, safe, luxurious, German made Audi Allroad 4.2, 40 valve V8 - 300HP. And you'd get better gas mileage.

SUVs should be banned, and trucks should need a permit to own, by FARMERS! They have NO place on the freeway because they are unsafe and can roll over. How many trucks do you see on the Autobahn?

I live in Texas, inside a major city, and I can tell you, basically 1/2 the 'cars' on the road are pickup trucks (mostly very large pickup trucks), and the other 1/2 are SUVs. Really more like 40%/40% or so, but I've made note of it several times, probably not more than 1/5th are actually 'cars'. And 99% of those pickup trucks have NOTHING in the beds, and 1/2 the SUVs are occupied by 1 or 2 people.

Gas prices will be a thing of the past, we are quickely turning to newer fuel sources, i.e fuel cells, electric, water, and solor power. I fell that gas, will not go past 6$ b 4 America either, 1) invades mexico for there fuel or 2) A manditory construction of other means by which to travel, i.e. fuel cells, electric, water, and solor power.

Prices in Australia are at $1.50 per litre. Not quite as high as the UK fortunately. There have been a number of protests about the prices here lately and calls for inquiry into the dealings of the petrol companies with regards to price fixing.

A report here recently was saying that the price we pay at the pump has no bearing to what the oil is costing on the market. Apparently they raise the price for the consumer because other countries are raising prices at the pump. I guess they figure they can get away with it because people expect it. The government doesnt mind of course, the higher the price, the more tax they get. Infact the prime minister was wanting to raise the tax a bit.

Petrol companies have also been posting record profits. IMO we are getting screwed.

Considering gas prices have more than doubled in Alberta (its even worse elsewhere) in the past two years and are at a two month low of $1.004/litre ($3.25/gal for the metrically challenged), I wouldn't be surpised at all if it doubled in less than a year.

The most popular fuel alternatives, electric and hydrogen, aren't really much better. Where does 80% of the electricity come from? Burning fossile fuels, of course! And where does the hydrogen come from? Natural gas! D'oh!