Warp Drive, When?

CatchFraze

so long as there is no intellegent life there allready' date=' there is no delima.[/quote']

Exactly........

If it's claimed, we move on........No harm, no foul.

:thinking:

only a secret organisation that doesn't officaly exist, inluftrates the planet and begin to erradicate the intelligent life allready there by creating a virus to kill them or the crops they survive on, they could poison the water or air, infect them with a virus to make them infertile ( this is a perticular favorite of mine as it would infect them all without them noticing, and when they do relise it would be too late.)

leaving a nice planet for us to claim.

excelent smithers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about space science but I don't think mankind is ready to warp space. Ever seen Event Horizon? eeekkk!!! That's awful stuff they showed in that one. It makes gigantic rockets more attractive than weird space theories about space travel.

i havn't seen this, could someone seed it please

Well' date=' expending trillions of dollars to buld a "space fleet" to defend Earth from an extraterrestrial invasion seems a bit kooky. But that's just me.[/quote']

Fine by me. I'll tell all those scientists working on Warp Drive Theory, Food Replicators, Invisibility Cloaks & Transporters to stop, since in your opinion, we won't ever be attacked.

:D

If those things are possible, they'll be invented with or without your "Space Fleet", because all of those things would be very useful. I have a lot of faith in humanity to develop extremely powerful technology without the need for ginormous megaprojects to which to direct its studies.

Well' date=' expending trillions of dollars to buld a "space fleet" to defend Earth from an extraterrestrial invasion seems a bit kooky. But that's just me.[/quote']

Fine by me. I'll tell all those scientists working on Warp Drive Theory, Food Replicators, Invisibility Cloaks & Transporters to stop, since in your opinion, we won't ever be attacked.

:D

If those things are possible, they'll be invented with or without your "Space Fleet", because all of those things would be very useful. I have a lot of faith in humanity to develop extremely powerful technology without the need for ginormous megaprojects to which to direct its studies.

ginormous????

• 4 weeks later...

With everything that we know about relativity and physics, I am surprised to see a thread of this nature. FTL travel is impossible for everything in this universe. This is physics 101 stuff people.

Now lets assume for one second that FTL travel was technologically possible, the theory of relativity states that as matter approaches the speed of light time slows down, and stops from the perspective of the observer when light speed is reached (This is called the "Event Horizon"). Therefore to the observer no forward movement would exist and the event horizon could never be crossed.

It is for these reasons that we will never, ever, have "warp drive" capabilities.

Is it possible that someday in the FAR DISTANT future we might be able to come close to the speed of light? Hopefully.

finally got the radiator to fit on my riding mower...am now constructing the braces and motor mounts for the 429 to fit on it...assuming ive got the carbs right and the gearing is correct i should be able to achieve .75 light speed on my first run...ill let you all know how the project progresses......

finally got the radiator to fit on my riding mower...am now constricting the braces and motor mounts for the 429 to fit on it...assuming ive got the carbs right and the gearing is correct i should be able to achieve .75 light speed on my first run...ill let you all know how the project pragresses......

ROFLMAO!!!

;)

Getting back to the threat of hostile extraterrestrial attack on our planet. With thousands or millions or Earth-like planets and the possability that an advanced extraterrestrial would breathe carbon dioxide or methane instead of oxygen, what interest would they have in our planet? As long as we don't pose a threat, I don't see why they would care about us, especially if they have some kind of ethical system like a Prime Directive. For all we know we could be in the territory of the most powerful empire in the universe and not even know it.