Visual Basic question

karimw786

I know this isn't exactly the proper place to ask this, but please cut me some slack:

I was wondering how to read input/data from the serial port in Visual Basic. I looked on Google and it only had stuff for C/C++/Java. I need to use VB, however.

Any help you could give me (whether you yourself help or send me a link) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a MSDN version of Visual Studio .net 2003' date=' that's what I'm using to make my DVD -> AVI batch convertor utility.[/quote']

Oh I really don't need VB, but someone else was asking for it on this thread... I have VB at school.

Personally I'd be more interested in information about what is involved in a "DVD -> AVI batch convertor utility". But then again I'm a Comp. Sci. student and am always looking for programming hints/tips. :)

I wonder if it would be possible to place an older version of Visual Basic on this site. The language may have its limitations but it is easy to program simple programs.

Learn Python!!!

It's free. It's portable. It has a good enough GUI (TKinter). It's open source - and that implies a huge community of debuggers, testers and builders. As a scripting language it's far more elegant than any form of BASIC, yet simple enough for a 12 year-old to learn. But, it's also object oriented - you can ignore that if you want, but that objective nature lets you do amazing things simply. It can be embedded in C/C++ programs, there is a version (Jython) for embedding in Java. There are a number of open source books free for download on the net. The support packages and libraries are amazing - everything from XML parsing to numerical programming to database manipulation.

Did I say it was free?

Python.org - free downloads, links, and documentation

ehh...Python is too different. Dig youself into C++ for a good time.

#include

void main(void)

{

cout >> "I have VB (a newer version) in .mds format.";

}

I love C++ too. Few things to look out for:

1. Error: it should be cout <<

not cout >>

(unless you're comfortable with overloaded operators, which in general is not a good idea for >> and <<)

2. #include has been replaced by

#include

using namespace std;

in the C++ standard

3. void main (void) can be replaced by void main()

I'm just being picky, but my first programming teacher taught me that pickiness is good in coding.

#include

void main(void)

{

}

#! \usr\local\bin\python

print 'And you say Python is "too different?!?"'

B)

#include

void main(void)

{

}

I love C++ too. Few things to look out for:

1. Error: it should be cout <<

not cout >>

(unless you're comfortable with overloaded operators, which in general is not a good idea for >> and <<)

2. #include has been replaced by

#include

using namespace std;

in the C++ standard

3. void main (void) can be replaced by void main()

I'm just being picky, but my first programming teacher taught me that pickiness is good in coding.

All that for just a simple bit of code, that still has to be compiled and linked? Python is less obscure, thus one is less prone to insert errors. It also works at a higher level, greatly simplifying things like text processing. Nevertheless, when writing real-time code, C + assembler gets the job done, and gets it executed more rapidly ... eventually.

And I'd disagree with your point # 3 as a matter of style. It's better to code the void as an argument to main than to leave it out. More explicit, especially for C programmers. I haven't kept up with C++ evolution, though, so perhaps the main(void) construct will now blow up?

C++ is powerful, fast, kludgy, nasty to maintain, is only slightly portable, and has got too many gotchas. In the hands of a skilled programmer it can instantiate the Trek nature.

Java is powerful, slightly slower, more elegant, mostly portable, and has a few well understood gotchas. It has the Berman//Braga "Trek" nature.

Python is powerful, a bit slower yet, elegant, maintains very well, mostly portable, and has very few gotchas. It personifies the Trek nature.

VB is cumbersome, kludgy, nasty to maintain, has a ton of gotchas, is proprietary, and not portable. It does not have the Trek nature - We are the Gates. Prepare to be assimilated. Resistance is futile!