Alcubierre Drive

Vektram

OH - i don't really understand all the equations and stuff but it sounds interesting - Maybe someday it will be possible.....

I would really be worried if you would understand the equations.... :)

So the only thing we have to do is create a warp drive.... Allthought this will probably still take awhile it's really fun to know that warp is actually possible..

OH - i don't really understand all the equations

Sometimes it's nice to have a physics degree.. :D

On the subject: it has been around for some time...

It's an interesting subject, but extremly theoretical and once they solve most of the practicality problems (if ever), it will probably still take an extremly long time before it can be implemented because even though the ship itself will not really consume energy, but to create the space effect itself (and hopefully stop it), you would still require a very efficient energysource...

The deep research about it is very math intensive and it has run into some very complicated issues. In other words, our theories are just not good enough, yet...

(I won't be the one improving them though :D )

Ok - i'm going from what i know on Star Trek here (i'm hoping there are maybe some similarities here) wouldn't there be a problem with Hull Stress....such speeds against the hull....though i have no knowledge of physics here so perhaps i'm making no sense.....

Ok - i'm going from what i know on Star Trek here (i'm hoping there are maybe some similarities here) wouldn't there be a problem with Hull Stress....such speeds against the hull....though i have no knowledge of physics here so perhaps i'm making no sense.....

No, the ship in question will be in complete relative rest compared to its environment. Stress from 'speed' of the the surrounding space should be annihilated at the wavefronts I would suspect.

Anybody got Maple/MatLab/Mathematica handy? :cyclops:

If i remember right the warp bubble surrounds the ship, in which the ship does not move. The bubble moves through/around the surrounding objects. Therefore hullstress wouldn't be a factor in travlling. However there may be significant hull stresses when forming and deforming the warp bubble. There lies the biggest problem, forming a stable warp bubble due to the vast amount of negative energy needed to form the bubble.

OH - i don't really understand all the equations and stuff but it sounds interesting - Maybe someday it will be possible.....

I would really be worried if you would understand the equations.... :)

So the only thing we have to do is create a warp drive.... Allthought this will probably still take awhile it's really fun to know that warp is actually possible..

We're like, 15/16 :p

Dr. Alcubierre's paper on the physics of space warp was published in 1994, well after the physics of the warp drive were set down by Paramount Pictures, and similarities between the two are strictly coincidental in nature

That's wierd...

• 2 weeks later...

It is impossible now but who knows maybe in the future. Besides that isn't the final version of it. A dutch scientists reworked it in 1999 (original came out 1994). He manged to lower the energy required for it. If things like that keep happening maybe one day it will be a reality. Besides you should never say impossible. Most of the thigns we accept has facts in Physics are actually just theories. Anyone can be wrong just because a a big name said so doesn't mean it is (Like Newton).