Star Trek Over!

VonHelton

"We've figured out that we've produced 624 hours of Star Trek over the last 18 years, and of those 18 seasons, seven of them we did two shows simultaneously. It's a lot of television. And each show has had the previous shows in reruns to compete with. Climates have changed. I think you can just squeeze so many eggs out of the old golden goose." Berman and Enterprise co-executive Brannon Braga are penning a series finale that will air on May 13.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30325

There it is, folks.......Bermann just told you Star Trek is dead....

:(

damn shame. still, while it lasted it was amazin.

speakin of which i finally finshed dl'ing DS9 S1 a while ago and have more trek than i can watchin a day. yeh!

(thats positivity in the face of disappointment not unnecessary chatter).

...and berman said climates change. how many years between TOS and TNG?

I can asure you, what we do here had no effect on Enterprise, despite what anyone tells you.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that the fact that we all download Enterprise rather than watch it on TV had no effect on the show being cancelled?

Well I honestly beg to differ with you. I myself am guilty of this also. We all downloaded the show rather than watch it and therefore see the commercials that pay for the show. If all the people had done this rather than download it, the show probably would have done better.

Sadly this is the future of many TV shows. Where people can download the episodes rather than sit in front of the TV. It won't be long until you can just pay a few bucks and download the show from the producers site.

In the end we are to blame (I guess some crappy writers did there share also) for the show being cancelled. Ragardless of what you wish to think, ratings sucked because it is easier to download and watch than be in front of the tv at a certain time. Sorry say this, but like I said, I am guilty too.

Good shows sometimes die before their time, however maybe with strong DVD sales, they may bring the show back. They are doing it with "The Family Guy" So maybe DVD sales will show Paramount that people indeed watched the show, and we loved it..... Only the future will tell.

IT'S NOT DEAD

You took that out of context, I read that and other interviews with Berman where he said that the franchise will have to be put on the shelf for a few years because they think it's been beaten like a dead horse...But that they PLAN to create a new series/film in the future - plus we know there's definitely a 2007 film coming out, Paramount isn't going to drop the project - it's been slated for months and Berman and Braga are still working on it, check Paramount's site and IMDB.com

It's not over, it's just on hiatus - that's what everybody's said...You missed part of the interview.

In the end we are to blame (I guess some crappy writers did there share also) for the show being cancelled.

i think you may have a point but i think it is a combination of factors really.

i havent had sky tv for a while and have been a student for the last 4 yrs so havent seen a hell of a lot of star trek. when i heard about the possibility of a new series (after voyager) i was initially excited. sadly my excitement gave way to ambivalence.

can yo have too much of a good thing? i love all three more recent treks but had simply had enough when it came to getting into a new series.

as aresult i have only seen three or four ENT episodes so cannot judge quality

perhaps the viewing public feel the same. perhaps its not quality its simply quantity. i have been watchingnon stop for over ten years now. i wanna cathch up with the bits i missed first.

but all that said, it IS a massive shame that ENT has been cancelled and i am disappointed, but pleased it is not over cos now i have something to look forward to.

laters

Yes, but TV is counting MILLIONS of viewers per day (based on Nielson boxes and statistical models). Have you looked at how many people have downloaded Enterprise last week? Mine is just a few thousand, the HDTV maybe around 10-20,000 downloads. Maybe total over all the internet, 50 or 100,000 downloads. That's a very small drop in a very large ocean of viewers. The biggest effect would only be someone that had a Nielson box that didn't turn on the TV but downloaded the episode instead, and I doubt that occured.

This is soooo sad for me. I have been a Trekker since the first episode in 1966. I was devastated when the series was cancelled in 1968. Life without new Trek was so hard all thru the late 60's and all thru the 70's. I will never forget the excitement in 1976 when Paramount took out a full page ad in the New York Times in which they announced that they had decided to make the first Trek movie. Yet it was another 10 years before we got STTNG....!!!!....????.... Life has been sooo good since the mid 80's. There was always a new Trek episode just months away, at most.... Now Enterprise has been cancelled.... The thought that we will go back to the way it was in the late 60's, and all the 70's again is a real bummer.... Robert Ellison - Jacksonville Florida

If I am reading this correctly' date=' you are saying that the fact that we all download Enterprise rather than watch it on TV had no effect on the show being cancelled?[/quote']

None whatsoever.

I have been in Broadcasting. I've "hobnobbed" with famous & not so famous.

.......It's not our fault.

No one on this board put a gun to Paramount's head & forced them to put ENT on UPN, a channel many ST Fans couldn't get.....

Likewise, none of us forced Nielson to give low rating to a show that supposedly was UPN's highest watched show.

Nite is right. What we do here is insignificant in the big picture. It's entirely possible this whole death was planned from the beginning, and ENT was the "fond farewell".

In any case, I can assure you without reservation that it was not by our hand.

:stare:

You took that out of context' date=' I read that and other interviews with Berman where he said that the franchise will have to be put on the shelf for a few years because they think it's been beaten like a dead horse...[/quote']

I did not. In fact, I went out of my way to leave it in context, so that people could see I wasn't using deception.

Yes, it has been stated by Braga that Star Trek is to go away for 3 years, minimum.........

Do you really believe that in this busy world we live in, that keeping it gone that long will help?

......I don't.

"Out of sight, out of mind" is the first thing that comes to me when I hear ST will be gone for 3 years.

There are always possibilities...

....And Kirk is right, of course.

If ENT can be transferred to Spike TV, it will live........Thrive, in fact.

If Paramount is willing to give the ST Franchise to a group that truely loves Star Trek as a whole, that too will allow it to continue.

Unfortunately, neither of those 2 things are likely to happen. Yes, I am a dreamer.......But I'm also a realist. Without certain things happening, our dreams are fleeting at best.

I can asure you, what we do here had no effect on Enterprise, despite what anyone tells you.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that the fact that we all download Enterprise rather than watch it on TV had no effect on the show being cancelled?

Well I honestly beg to differ with you. I myself am guilty of this also. We all downloaded the show rather than watch it and therefore see the commercials that pay for the show. If all the people had done this rather than download it, the show probably would have done better.

Sadly this is the future of many TV shows. Where people can download the episodes rather than sit in front of the TV. It won't be long until you can just pay a few bucks and download the show from the producers site.

In the end we are to blame (I guess some crappy writers did there share also) for the show being cancelled. Ragardless of what you wish to think, ratings sucked because it is easier to download and watch than be in front of the tv at a certain time. Sorry say this, but like I said, I am guilty too.

Good shows sometimes die before their time, however maybe with strong DVD sales, they may bring the show back. They are doing it with "The Family Guy" So maybe DVD sales will show Paramount that people indeed watched the show, and we loved it..... Only the future will tell.

Well, imo they should ignore that fact, because startrek has fans

all around the globe, and there's altmost no channels that airs it,

and thereby impossible to watch unless u dl it, will support them by buying the dvd's when it comes out for sale. ;)

One thing about DVDs is that it's a lump sum payment and product. I've never seen a whole season of Trek on DVD, it would probably take 50 hours or something. I think watching all of Star Trek on DVD non-stop (with necessary sleep, eating and facilities of course) would be an accomplishment, one worthy of note on a site like this. Who would be willing to do this?

I'm from Germany so I don't feel guilty at all. Watching it here on TV with 1,5 years delay makes absolutely no difference for UPN or Paramount.

It maybe a different case for the Americans here, but I won't blame them for the dead of Star Trek.

I cant speak for the rest of you but since getting into star trek I have bought crap loads of videos (50+) not to mention 3 seasons of TNG, all 7 seasons of DS9 and a couple of seasons from voyager, so in my view they have had enough money out of me.

Secondly, American Tv series are always shown much later in other countries, of course if we can download the lastest episode we are going to do that. same goes for films as well.

The whole TV/Film Industry should look at how there products are distrubuted, Film Torrent sites are still not that big but they are growing, as soon as the studios relise that they need to start to offer there products as downloads they wont miss out on so much revenue.

Personally I watch the show (when the damn channel comes in .. UPN fuckin sucks) and download the torrent so I can watch it again.. things are always better the second time around...

Yeah... if they cancel the star trek universe... could you imagine how many die-hard star trek fans are gonna be at paramount's gate every day?