Should male/male - female/female - couples be allowed to have children?

TetsuoShima

Since we are discussing serious things lately, I felt this question was important. Oh, and let's keep this a friendly and civilised discussion. ;)

I think at least the majority of people is in favour of complete same sex mariage, I fully agree (if you wish do discuss this further, do it here, please don't pollute this thread with disussions about that)

Now, the next question that comes to (my) mind is, should m/m and f/f couples be allowed to have children?

This is a very delicate subject imo, since we now are discussing the environment in which children will potentially have to grow up/play/learn/live. It's no longer about the relationship itself and what the couple wants, it's also (and even more so) about the child which cannot (completely/at all) state what it feels/needs/wants.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm votng a big "Heck yes" to ths one.

One of my dearest friends is a gay woman, and her and her partner have 3 children. Long story short (I told the full story at around post 300, and I can't find it now :( ), they do a bang up job raising them. Most well behaved kids you could ever hope to meet, and the most loving parents on the block.

I also want to make a huge post of all the totally awesome gay men in the rock and roll scene alone, but the list of collosal coolness would explode everyones mind. It even makes me cry at night some times - they're that cool.

There are far more screwed up children of heterosexual marriages than there are of homosexual ones (yes, something of a trick statement). But in any case, anyone desiring to ban them is acting only on the basis of fear and prejudice.

FYI: Technology is fast approaching the point where homosexual couples will be able to give birth to children without the opposite sex anyway. Already labs have combined two eggs to create a fertilized embryo without sperm needed. Likewise stem cells have been triggered to form eggs as well, allowing men to create an embryo without a woman. Men obviously would need a surrogate mother or artificial womb to grow the fetus, but this mother would not be genetically related to the child.

Egg fertilized without sperm:

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2001/712/1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1431489.stm

Egg created with stem cells (thus allowing male to create egg):

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20050521211846data_trunc_sys.shtml

I'm saying "yes for all options"... although I have no idea how a male/male or female/female couple would have their own children by natural means... I assume you're talking about some sort of third person 'contribution' (i.e. artificial insemination?)

Edit: *slaps forehead* Sorry... missed your point about the new discoveries in my haste, Ruk... ^^'

Out of 13 votes up till now, it's either yes or no, I'll be the first to say that my answer was "No". I just don't believe in it, I'm not against anyone's lifestyle as long as it's not pushed on me, the same as I don't believe in inter-racial conception, though I hope that I'm not predjudice against any race.

It's just the way I believe, and I really wasn't influenced much in church or home to this way of thinking, church drove me further into mischeivious behaviour than taught me a sense of right and wrong.

As a note, my Half-Brother was sent to live with me a few years back by his mother, who is lesbian and has a (really rough looking) partner, he was misunderstood by them and instead of dealing with him, they sent him away. My half-sister on the other hand remians there in that home, but wishes to leave and isn't allowed to move. - The isea I get here is not two gay women, but two people too wrapped up in themselves to make an effort, not bad parenting because of thier lifestyle.

EDIT: Spelling...

I'm not against anyone's lifestyle as long as it's not pushed on me

Interesting you say that, but with your "no" vote you are pushing your own lifestyle on others and telling them how to live (not to have children).

Oh' date=' and let's keep this a friendly and civilised discussion. ;)[/quote']

Ah, gee, you're no fun at all. ;)

I think at least the majority of people is in favour of complete same sex mariage, . . .

Interestingly enough, I'm not, but either way, I won't loose sleep over it.

In spite of that, I chose yes to all, because I don't believe that being homosexual/gay/whatever you prefer to call it precludes a person from being a good parent, and as someone else has pointed out, we do seem to suffer from a shortage of those. :(

I'm not against anyone's lifestyle as long as it's not pushed on me

Interesting you say that, but with your "no" vote you are pushing your own lifestyle on others and telling them how to live (not to have children).

No, I'm stating my personal belief, which was asked for in the poll. If I were to PM everyone who voted yes with "It's a sin and you're all going to hell", that's kinda like pushing it on someone. That may or may not be what I think inside, but I have enough trouble keeping folks out of my business to get into thiers. All I wrote in my original post was what's right for me.

Just can't wait to see someone post a no on this thread. Once that happens it will go down hill very fast.

I already did! and the quote above is all that happened.

Edit: Wow, y'all are fast, there were three posts before I could finish this response.