Marriage

synexo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody that age is not considered responsible, but adults are responsible for finding these things out before they get involved, or, when they find out, breaking off the relationship. It's a question of the power imbalance between adults and children.

Adults have a lot more power. Unfortunately, in such cases, it often turns out that there's a history of childhood sexual abuse, and it's that which causes the child to behave in that way. To interpret this behaviour as being the same in a child as it is in an adult it a huge mistake, though it is often used as an excuse by people who overtly practice paedophelia.

you meet this drop dead gorgeous WOMAN in a bar. you demand to see her birth certiificate do you?

BTW this doesnt mean I condone sex with children just that sometimes it can be hard to tell

Somebody that age is not considered responsible, but adults are responsible for finding these things out before they get involved, or, when they find out, breaking off the relationship. It's a question of the power imbalance between adults and children.

Adults have a lot more power. Unfortunately, in such cases, it often turns out that there's a history of childhood sexual abuse, and it's that which causes the child to behave in that way. To interpret this behaviour as being the same in a child as it is in an adult it a huge mistake, though it is often used as an excuse by people who overtly practice paedophelia.

you meet this drop dead gorgeous WOMAN in a bar. you demand to see her birth certiificate do you?

They could always fake their ID, etc., which is the reason that I said that as soon as you find out, you break off the relationship. The law should take into account that this does happen sometimes, and judge based on what a reasonable person would do in such a situation.

Some of the folk here have a strange obsession with sexuality methinks.

Marriage is a union between two consenting adults who have decided to engage in a lifelong commitment of love, responsibility and care. I think you'll find that definition matches that coming from popular consensus.

THEREFORE the largest part of the list provided doesn't actaully fit the definition of marriage applied by the consensus of popular opinion.

If anything the question speaks of some profound issues in the mind of the person asking the question. I don't think he's quite normal to be honest.

I would say that once certain conditions are met, none can be offensive, but also all have the potential of being offensive.

Condition can be among other things (these are the ones I can come up with in 2 seconds):

- are both parties completely willing and not forced in any way

- are both parties mature enough to make a decent decision about it (some people are more mature at the age of 15 than others are at the age of 21, I don't know if there exists some test that can detemine this within reasonable error margins)

- can either of the parties end the 'bond' at any time, once they are no longer comfortable with it.

I would find ity hard to believe that a girl/boy, age for example 11 is mature enough for this though, at age 14 it might in some cases be possible that he/she is imo, but that is just based on a 'gut-feeling', I also think that it is possible that a girl/boy, age for example 19, is not capable of making these kinds of decisions.

I would have to say that I dont see any of these as bad seeing that we as a race did not see them as bad at one time or another.

I don't know what you mean by "we as a race," because any child being sexually abused would certainly object, if he/she could, and that's where paedophilia usually leads. (I'm not talking about cases of mistaken identity, as I agree can happen sometimes when someone looks much older than he/she actually is, that's a different story.)

It seems strange to me that you'd complain about lots of speech when this is a discussion forum... ^^'

I love it. :cyclops:

I am sorry about that I moved to Opera because of mozilla ram hogging. (O___o) it seemed like. My post did not go. SO i hit the button again. Then again. Then one more time lol. Sorry once again.

Thank goodness that's all it was. For a minute there, I thought I was seeing triple. :rolleyes:

It seems strange to me that you'd complain about lots of speech when this is a discussion forum... ^^'

If you meant me, I certainly wasn't complaining, what I was getting at was that I almost feel that I have to be careful what I say to stay on the right side of the folks that are lurking to pick a fight with so-called self rightousness.

Really, the only things I find offensive are situations where others take advantage of people. To be perfectly honest, a universal truth is that we usually hate that which we are, that's our way of hiding our own shortcomings. So that said, I'm the type of person that would rather let someone else cook, clean and pay the bills, BUT, knowing this sI work all that much harder to avoid this, and still dislike this type of behaiviour.

So in my opinion, as long as both people are cool with it, that's all they need for justification. The pedophile situation is definately out though, pedophiles need to be treated the way they treat others.

• 2 months later...
Some of the folk here have a strange obsession with sexuality methinks.

Marriage is a union between two consenting adults who have decided to engage in a lifelong commitment of love, responsibility and care. I think you'll find that definition matches that coming from popular consensus.

THEREFORE the largest part of the list provided doesn't actaully fit the definition of marriage applied by the consensus of popular opinion.

If anything the question speaks of some profound issues in the mind of the person asking the question. I don't think he's quite normal to be honest.

I'm not even slightly normal.

We didn't start the fire...

Other than the other gay marriage poll on there, this poll was inspired by 'The moon is a harsh mistress', by Robert Heinlein. (which I just listened too)

EDIT - DEFINITIONS:

Heterosexual Marriage - 1 Man + 1 Woman

Homosexual Marriage - 1 Man + 1 Man or 1 Woman + 1 Woman

Polygamic Marriage - 1 Man + Several Women

Polyandric Marriage - 1 Woman + Several Men

Polyamoric Marriage - Any Number of Women and Men - Complex

Paedophillial Marriage - 1 Man or 1 Women + 1 Girl or 1 Boy

'Boylove' 'Marriage' - 1 Man + 1 Boy

'Girl-love' 'Marriage' - 1 Man + 1 Girl

Pederastic 'Marriage' - Greek-like Man-boy 'mentor' relationship

Reading 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress', and familiarizing yourself with marriage customs, and Greek social structures may help you answer more acurately.

Kind of a BS lineup you have there, since we can pick only one we find offensive, do you not see the flaw to that? As a result, I abstain from voting