Official Discussion: Dr Who Xmas Invasion

coolcat13

What sort of ET event happened in 1995 that gave UNIT access to such gloriously destructive tech?

If your talking about the weapon they used, that was from tourchwood which is supposed to be outside of UNIT. They say the united nations doesn't even know about it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liked Tennant but the ep was predictable. Reminded me of the movie --- not enough of the Doctor too much of other characters....which I think is the flaw with RTD's run so far....too Rose oriented and not enough doctor. How did the Santa's and the killer Xmas tree fit in to this story??? I can see why the US won't buy the new who --too many plot holes like this with more concentration on witty reparte' than anything else....I still enjoy it immensely...but hope series 2 goes off into other directions.

Liked Tennant but the ep was predictable. Reminded me of the movie --- not enough of the Doctor too much of other characters....which I think is the flaw with RTD's run so far....too Rose oriented and not enough doctor. How did the Santa's and the killer Xmas tree fit in to this story??? I can see why the US won't buy the new who --too many plot holes like this with more concentration on witty reparte' than anything else....I still enjoy it immensely...but hope series 2 goes off into other directions.

tut tut....well look at the first seasons viewing figures says it all as it cant be that bad lol

The Dr Regeneration has turned into a bit of a formula...

But what Better way of Empathising with a "Replacement" Dr....

Make him really sick and near death...and let sidekicks stuff up for a while...

Then: The New Dr. to the Rescue.

Works everytime :)

Absolutely LOVED it! Independence Day/Star Wars/Classic Doctor Who rolled into one. I can't believe anyone disliked it. Must be no accounting for taste.

Series Two will be incredible. Definitely a gem of the British crown at the moment. I wonder how many Brits cheered when the Queen's address was cancelled and hooted wheb the Royal Family ended up on the roof. Nice jab at tradition.

I can't wait to watch this with the kids. We already had a Christmas of Series One boxset viewing, and Dalek RC wars. Just wish stores would get the sonic screwdriver back in stock.

US TV has no idea what it's missing. Everything on it is so lame by comparison.

Absolutely LOVED it! Independence Day/Star Wars/Classic Doctor Who rolled into one. I can't believe anyone disliked it. Must be no accounting for taste.

Whats that suppose to mean ? Those that dont conform to your superior opinion must not have "taste" ?

Wonderful episode--brilliant beginning for the 10th Doctor--10 out of 10 all around. It is a shame that there are the continuous criticisms though. . .first people b**** and moan because there is no Doctor Who and now that we've got it back and it is incredible--BEYOND anything we could have hoped for in terms of BBC support and viewing figures as well as production team and values--there is that certain element that STILL want to tear it down and complain.

Would you rather have nothing?

What sort of ET event happened in 1995 that gave UNIT access to such gloriously destructive tech?

If your talking about the weapon they used, that was from tourchwood which is supposed to be outside of UNIT. They say the united nations doesn't even know about it.

Torchwood is suppose to be a rouge government agency that works outside the law. They offically don't exist, hence the UN doesn't know about them. Basicly, they do a similar job like UNIT, but they report ONLY to the UK government.

Whenever UNIT is involed in ET incidents, any tech is under UN control, hence it is for the benifit of all mankind. If Torchwood is involved in an ET incicdent, any tech they recover is under the exclusive control of the British government, thus it benifits on the British.

Look out for the spin off series TORCHWOOD, created by Russel T. Davis and starring John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness in late 2006. After season 2/28 of Doctor Who finishes.

US TV has no idea what it's missing. Everything on it is so lame by comparison.

Unfortunately, we do. If not for PBS, the occasional Poirot on A&E, and the torrent network we'd have no access to quality television at all.

April can't come fast enough.

Dave

here is a bit of inside info for the curious

Captain Jack will have something to do with Torchwood + anagram for Doctor Who by the way . This will be a spin off of dr Who for those who might be curious to know.

I am not sure if this was brought up elsewhere or not but this Dr Who seemed like a bit of a set up for that series . Still I had no problem with the show on the hole

Wonderful episode--brilliant beginning for the 10th Doctor--10 out of 10 all around. It is a shame that there are the continuous criticisms though. . .first people b**** and moan because there is no Doctor Who and now that we've got it back and it is incredible--BEYOND anything we could have hoped for in terms of BBC support and viewing figures as well as production team and values--there is that certain element that STILL want to tear it down and complain.

Would you rather have nothing?

Go Dr who Self-righteous Squad ! you tell em ! ;)

I am very Sorry, but some of us dont accept "mediocre" as good. Sorry to hurt your precious feelings of superiority, but some of us see trash for trash. And the new Dr who is trash in mine and alot of people I know's eyes. If you like unoriginal, contrived and predictable TV that rip's off other shows, films and past Dr who episodes thats cool, just dont get holier-than-thou on those of us that dont worship what the press and news and tell you is good, and what the majority think is good.

Would I rather have nothing ? absolutely!. Nothing is much better than cheap badly written and cliche crap that is akin to Britney Spears. Its definitly as unintelligent as Britney spears! :D Fastastic ;)

Sorry dad, will go to my room now for having opinions that dont conform to the Pro New-Dr who series brigade :D And ill definitly expect hundreds of pro-new series fans to get on back for my evil opinions, its good to know when my opinions mean SO much to others, I appreciate the confidence boost :p

times are changing and so is dr who. I supposse nothing lasts forever..

people are getting really cranky (specially Cypha01). tennant a weasel? wery original :) I belive the other doctors were all very beautiful and bulky man, hence the analogy :D

Cypha01: You're stepping just a little way the other side of the AUP line there buddy, tone it down. And this has zero to do with Dr. Who old or new...this is a warning from me. You've had your say 10, 20, 30 times over, cool your heels or you'll end up in E-Space.

First and only chance.

People have gotten the opinion you don't like the new series, time to move on and find some other wound to gnaw on.

This is an internet message forum Fenris. The whole point of a message forum is to share opinions and have a conversation. People told me to watch the X-mas Special and judge it after I'd seen it. After I did as suggested many of you didn't like my opinion because it was a strongly voiced dislike. What next ? Should I watch more episodes or not? Or am I just not allowed to state my opinion because it doesn't conform to the views of the majority or maybe because it's too harsh and people can't take it. That sounds like RTD's approach to Doctor Who to me: water it down, make it flashy and play to the lowest common denominator because people can't take anything more. Ridiculous! I was willing to given Tennant a chance, I did, I gave my opinion and people told me I was wrong or had no taste.

Respect is a two way thing Fenris. It requires fairness to all parties. I don't see you telling off the two people who openly bashed my opinions. YET you've posted a puffed up, dominating public warning to me because I have a strong opinion that doesnt conform to the rest of the herd and I defended it. Moderation requires fairness and equality and respect. I don't think I'm getting that in this case although the people who's opinion I oppose seem to be getting it. I pay my Licence fee -solely- for Dr Who Fenris, I am the one giving the BBC my money. I have every right to be critical AND since this is a public forum I have every right to voice my opinion about Dr Who regardless of how popular it is.

It's nice to see on a forum that I genuinely like that people can be condescending to me, tell me their views are more legit and also get self-righteous on me because I have given an opinion they disagree with. It's very heartening to see when I try to stick up for myself I get told I am being too harsh. There are some obvious double standards at play here Fenris. I hope you in your capacity as moderator will step back for a second, be fair and see this for what it is without getting caught up in the fact that my opinion differs from yours. Stating my opinion and defending it is not a personal attack against you or anyone else.

I expected this: Very well.

This is a global warning to everyone responsible for stepping over the line, there's an AUP on this forum that keeps it supposedly free from the usual backstabbing and malcontent of many other forums.

Keep it friendly and keep it fair.

"Go Dr who Self-righteous Squad ! you tell em" <-- This is the kind of thing I don't want to see, keep the discussions civil and even-handed folks no matter how much you can't stand a particular program, there are ways to vent about it without going overboard or making off-comments.

Cypha01: I'm on no-ones side but it takes two to tango there amigo.

I'm asking you kindly to simply take a different approach towards people who do rile you.

I also re-iterate that we'd rather this was a pleasant place to come to, where users were able to discuss things. But there's freedom of speech and being downright rude about it.

I'm asking folks who do get passionate about the things they love, moderate your responses, watch your language and most of all watch what you say about other people.

Edit: I also forgot to mention before I could get to dealing with the rest of the folks I was dragged off to other things.