Breach of Privacy: Hey lets all give up our phones!

thedrtim

I read an article today that quotes this experience from a young lady travelling on public transport in Sydney over the weekend:

"Jane, from Coogee, was surprised to find three police on her bus asking to inspect mobile phones. Each took a phone at random and scrolled through messages for five or ten minutes. Everyone obeyed. "The people were perfectly friendly about it," she said. "I thought it was a bit weird and a breach of privacy. But I didn't say anything. Nobody did."

Afterward, I felt a little bit ill. What the hell is this about? Since when does a stranger have the right to enter my personal space on a whim? The police need a warrant to search my premises, they damn well need one to search for evidence on my PC so they had better get one before I give up my phone. Where are we living? What year is this? I thought the self righteous, moral high ground we lay claim to at the end of WWII was justified because millions of people died to prevent these types of things happening.

As Bejamin Franklin said: They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Damn straight I say.

Full article can be found at:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/australians-are-an-obedient-people--but-for-how-long/2005/12/18/1134840742464.html

well, if you have the right to decline I dont see a problem. the problem begins when you dont have a choice. but this is all due to bushs "fear of terror" policy spreading and so are the technics. it is quite unusual that people let them do that - the bush fear policy must be working well then..

In the UK we have a new law............if your carrying more than 1000 pounds on your person you have to explain to the police where you got it from.......if you cannot explain its lock up time!

Ther majority of email sent from the UK is read. Filtered for key words so Ive been told. But who would be dumb enough to send an email with the word bomb or explosive in it I`ll never know! Lets also not forget PGP.

So if I were to email you and say something like "Cherry BLAIR is packed full of C4 and TIMED to go off like a FIRE CRACKER" or if I were to say "lets sell all of that HEROIN to FUND our TERRORIST activities in the kitchen" your email would be intercepted and read by someone who would presumably see that I have written:

"EXERCISE IN CENSORSHIP. ALL COPS ARE COPROPHAGIC"

And you might then get a nasty letter from Scotland Yard, yeah???

well' date=' if you have the right to decline I dont see a problem. the problem begins when you dont have a choice. but this is all due to bushs "fear of terror" policy spreading and so are the technics. it is quite unusual that people let them do that - the bush fear policy must be working well then..[/quote']

This is ironic considering it happened in Australia. It seems John Howard and the Australian people should be left holding the bag for this. Apparently it's not unusual for Australians, though. Didn't you read the actual article? The scene would have been quite different in a NY or Boston subway. Bush has a lot to answer for, but it's not his fault the Aussies are sheep.

How many more thousands must be killed by terrorists before the foregoing decide

enough is enough and co-operate with actions designed to reduce the number of

these deaths.

If we hold our liberties so dear our focus should be endorsement of anti-terrorist

legislation and action. The terrorists are the ones who are truly curtailing our liberty.

How many more thousands must be killed by terrorists before the foregoing decide

these deaths.

If we hold our liberties so dear our focus should be endorsement of anti-terrorist

legislation and action. The terrorists are the ones who are truly curtailing our liberty.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'd much prefer to see the white supremecists arrested and if searching through someones text messages achieves this then I don't have a problem with it. It may gain information that could lead to arrests and/or aid in stopping more incidents. God most of my text messages consist of "Ok C U Soon" "I'm running late" etc etc. It's not as if they contain anything private, if they do then I think you need to rethink how you communicate. Text messaging is hardly very personal.

This is ironic considering it happened in Australia. It seems John Howard and the Australian people should be left holding the bag for this. Apparently it's not unusual for Australians' date=' though. Didn't you read the actual article? The scene would have been quite different in a NY or Boston subway. Bush has a lot to answer for, but it's not his fault the Aussies are sheep.[/quote']

I see it as a "shared responsibility". for example if bush is spreading fear and lying about half the things he say, is it only the peoples fault then if they belive in some of these lies and go with the policy which is bestowed on them? I say everybody takes their part of the blame - even bush.

and it doesnt matter where did/would/will this happen, this is the direct result of bushes tactics to scare people (so they let to be controled for "common good") - somewhere it goes faster then elswere..

peterwheeler said:How many more thousands must be killed by terrorists before the foregoing decide

these deaths.

Mrdad then quoted

Ben Franklin said:They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Hey this is a forum for our views is it not? Not the trite repeating of some one from a

bygone age who could probably never conceive of terrorism let alone

the destruction of the World Trade Centre

the Lockerbie Airplane Bombing

So I assume he wants to travel on my plane next to the fanatic with a gun or a bomb

to ensure that mans 'rights' to civil liberty and to bear arms C**p grow up and live

in todays world that is if the terrorist will let you live.

franklin warned that "giving up essential liberties" aka going through your messages/looking your mail/poking wherever the goverment see fit, for little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

and there is some truth to that - back in the days in soviet union they were thinking the same way (giving up essential liberties) and macarthy era did the same in that spirit (to obtain a little temporary safety), but none of that worked very well.. nobody got neither liberty nor safety in the end did they?

ATTENTION PETERWHEELER:

I dont have time to reply in any detail but how about contriving answers to the following questions:

Which of the terorist cells came from Iraq?

Who involved in the awful destruction of the WTC was from Afghanistan?

The answers: None and none.

Now that the idiot admin of the good old US of A have gone into both of these countries throwing crap around left ,right and center, you have a new generation of terrorist grown on hatred bred from seeing their lives and their livelihoods destroyed in the name of someone elses war, a war for oil.

Before you reply to this, i urge you to look at US foriegn policy history for the answers to the question of terrorism. Look at corporate culture and read about the Munroe doctrine, manifest destiny and your country's history of colonialism and then when you KNOW something about your own country's real past, talk to me about terorism.

In the meantime, every time you post here, you simply make yourself look like a know nothing xxxxx. Share you opinions by all means but please be ready to defend them with FACTS and not just blind RHETORIC.

peterwheeler said:How many more thousands must be killed by terrorists before the foregoing decide

these deaths.

Mrdad then quoted

Ben Franklin said:They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Hey this is a forum for our views is it not? Not the trite repeating of some one from a

bygone age who could probably never conceive of terrorism let alone

the destruction of the World Trade Centre

the Lockerbie Airplane Bombing

So I assume he wants to travel on my plane next to the fanatic with a gun or a bomb

to ensure that mans 'rights' to civil liberty and to bear arms C**p grow up and live

in todays world that is if the terrorist will let you live.

Mrdad is a member of this forum and may post and quote whom ever he sees fit as long as he follows the posting rules. He has done that.

ALSO: Members should refrain from name calling. I've edited one post for this very reason. Please re-read the posting rules if you have any questions. Be respectful and excellent to each other.

c4 B) ~ MOD

I have to apologsie here. My bad. I got all f****** up and thought that the dude sending the hate was mrdad. It was peterwheeler so this post doesn't read well at now.

Ah well. The point still stands.

Mrdad is a member of this forum and may post and quote whom ever he sees fit as long as he follows the posting rules. He has done that.

ALSO: Members should refrain from name calling. I've edited one post for this very reason. Please re-read the posting rules if you have any questions. Be respectful and excellent to each other.

c4 B) ~ MOD

I grant that the name calling is unpleasant so I withdraw that but I am sorry, I dont understand why you'e cited the rules on quotation. I wasn't flaming peterwheeler for quoting me quoting Ben Franklin. I was flaming him for being a reactionary adherent to the neo-con new world order. I was flaming him for having so parlous an understanding of the political machine that runs his country and as an medical professional with several rotations through war zones, I was flaming him for having no idea what his war on terrorism or any war looks like on THE GROUND, what it looks like to civilians (primarily women and children) who are neither soldiers nor terrorists, just simply unlucky.

The war is doing jack to combat terror and neither are the draconian sedition laws or homeland security acts. They're simply guaranteeing that our kids will live with war and repression in years to come as well. What a happy legacy and all because of opinions like those held by peterwheeler.

peterwheeler, I didn't serve my country sewing teenage soldiers and little kids back together to come home and have an increasingly paramilitary style police force check my goddamn phone for messages. I did it so that I could come home and NOT have to live with that crap.

I'd much prefer to see the white supremecists arrested and if searching through someones text messages achieves this then I don't have a problem with it. It may gain information that could lead to arrests and/or aid in stopping more incidents. God most of my text messages consist of "Ok C U Soon" "I'm running late" etc etc. It's not as if they contain anything private' date=' if they do then I think you need to rethink how you communicate. Text messaging is hardly very personal.[/quote']

This is a very dangerous way of thinking that will quickly lead to a police state.

If it gets criminals arrested? Let's take this a step (too) farther. It is commonly accepted that most domestic violence (which is a crime) takes place in the living rooms and the bedrooms. So, why not have the guvmint install cameras in all living rooms and bedrooms that constantly send out a video stream of what's happening in those rooms to government institutions that then can act and nab those criminals. After all, this is a very effective way of getting them or preventing them from misbehaving. Oh, and if you're worried that your nightly activities with your girlfriend get splashed akll over the internet -- we'll encrypt the streams, using CSS or some such encryption, and make it illegal to decrypt it...

:rolleyes:

And if you get divorced because your wife found out from those streams that you were cheating on her, we can also get you for public indecency, as those pictures were there for everyone to see. B)