The Vikings - An 18 Hour, 36 Lecture History

elderbear

After several months of very long commutes in heavy traffic, I've become addicted to listening to lectures from TTC The Teaching Company. I'm currently listening to a great one on the Vikings. They were living the Science Fiction of the 9th Century! And I think they'd have one heck of a party and battles with Klingons.

What do you think? Does it belong here? Or should I take it to Demonoid, where they already have a serious SIG on TTC lectures.

BTW, in order to deliver a lecture series for TTC, 1 in about 5000 professors are selected. I've auditioned a number of their candidates and given them all thumbs down. The ones who finally pass muster are excellent speakers.

64k doesn't sound too bad - 32K requires band pass filtering before encoding, an additional step I don't relish. 128k is larger, but will sound better.

I'll retain the CD and track structuring. 2 30 minute lectures per CD, 6 5 minute tracks per lecture. I'll also make sure that the files are nicely titled.

The Vikings

By Professor Kenneth W. Harl

This 36-lecture series with Professor Kenneth W. Harl of Tulane University explores “Viking Age†raiding, trading, and colonization in Europe, as well as the overseas explorations and settlements in Iceland, Greenland, and Vinland.

John, do you think you could make a SUPER-Torrent with some of their stuff?? Like a best-of?? I'm all in for that!

And hey, Merry Christmas!

They're a valued business for me - they're prices are quite reasonable, so I'd feel bad if I torrented a ton of their stuff. But I'll look into putting together a compilation of some of the best. Demonoid.com has tons of TTC stuff. Unfortunately, a bunch of the people who make the torrents ignore CD tracks and try to directly encode at 32kbps. That would work, but the audio needs to be filtered first, otherwise it's rather annoying to listen to.

One of the very best courses is on Freedom. When I got it it was only available on tape, so I'll have to hook up the tape deck and record it. Real soon now. But after I get done ripping the Vikings one (18 CDs will take a while!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

I see - of course, I'm not against actually buying the stuff :) Which I suppose I will in due time - funny enough, after making that gigatorrent myself, I gave away most of the remainding stuff I had in self-improvement - atm. only got some books and tapes left dunno what I'll do with those - hey PM me once in a while will you? :)

WOAH STOP RIGHT THERE! Why on earth do you think it's okay to *steal* other people's work??? That lecture is available to anyone who wants it, simply by visiting teach12.com (and only costs ~$75 when on sale). Why can't you people just go BUY it?

I love this company. I've bought a lot of their lectures for less than $100. I have no desire to see them go out of business by thieves. (And before someone insinuates I'm a hypocrite - I DO buy everything that I download. Star Trek, SG1, Quantum Leap. I believe in supporting people's hard work either through direct purchase and/or watching the ads.) I'm now spending ~$400 on Babylon 5 scriptbooks, because I want to support J.Michael Straczynski's brilliant work.

If the lecture is good enough for you to recommend/rip/upload, then it's good enough for you to go support the people making it & BUY it from teach12.com.

troy

Buy it.

Listen to it.

Sell it on Ebay.

Net result: you'll recover virtually all your money. (And really.... $75 is not that much money. There are a lot of professionals here who earn $25-35 an hour.... they can afford it. Just don't drink any beer this month.) ;-)

Troy - wasn't that quite unnecessary? See both me and John DO buy the stuff we use - as for the rest, can't speak for them.

at most 10% of any I've ever downloaded or kept is 'illegal' but everything I keep I eventually buy as I can afford it (unless I already do own it) - In some cases, it's something (like Star Trek) that I already did watch on TV previously (which I pay for in license, cable etc.)

In the end, I always end up buying everything I do 'want' to have, use, keep, etc. etc.

Feels like I've been in this discussion before.... Deja-vu... well moo to you as well!

While I appreciate the thought/effort, I can't justify "vikings" in any traditional sense, being science fiction. Where is the "science" part of it? They were a proud and honorable warrior race who reminded me alot of the Greeks and Romans, with their own set of god's and deities.

They are interesting but in the spirit of Niteshdw, keep it science fiction.

Troy - wasn't that quite unnecessary? See both me and John DO buy the stuff we use - as for the rest' date=' can't speak for them. at most 10% of any I've ever downloaded or kept is 'illegal' but everything I keep I eventually buy as I can afford it (unless I already do own it) - In some cases, it's something (like Star Trek) that I already did watch on TV previously (which I pay for in license, cable etc.) In the end, I always end up buying everything I do 'want' to have, use, keep, etc. etc. Feels like I've been in this discussion before.... Deja-vu... well moo to you as well! [/quote']

I reviewed your paragraph, but found no compelling argument why it's okay to illegally distribute the Teaching Company's creations. It's theft, pure and simple.

[P.S. The Teaching Company is not like tv where things get paid with ads. Their *only* income is through direct selling. When you encourage people to download stolen property, instead of buy, you are directly jeopardizing the future of the Teaching Company & risking putting them out-of-business.]

[Teach12.com even offers *direct downloads* of their stuff. Why not support their embracing of internet tech by purchasing these downloads? This is what many of us have fought for - To get stuff via the internet. Why not support them for giving us what we desired? Give them your dollars in exchange for downloads.]

[sorry for the soapboxing. I just don't understand the mindset which would want to deliberately hurt a great resource like the Teaching Company.]

Wow, you can find the most interesting stuff here. I couldn't give a rats southern extremity about vikings, just ain't me, but as far as people jumping on others about illegal downloads, man...GIVE IT UP.

What do you think goes on here? It seems to me that Troy's trend is to say LOOK AT ME! more than being trully righteous. Not having anything to contribute to a conversation, beating the dead horse 'o piracy is the next best thing.

Unfortunately, I don't have the capacity to care about certain things, people rip me off often in a similar way, but everyone profits from it in the long run.

The guy running a bootleg copy of XP (and really nice ones exist) might be propogating the Microsoft story in his own way by buying parts for a windows pc, or software for it, so on and on.

I work with scared people, folks that think you can't phisically drive a car while your license is suspended. Is it right?....no, but we got the point months ago and yet still don't care.

So if the Vikings are Science Fiction or just desired by some, put it up, this is a community of sharing, not a local police station.

The only thing that makes this wrong to some is that we don't all live in the same house.

• 4 weeks later...
first i've heard of it.... checked the site... got any science lectures....

Got these from demonoid:

Einstein's Relativity+Quantum Revolution

Complexity & Chaos by Roger White

Entanglement by Amir Aczel

Also enjoyed (not science):

TMS - The World's First Superpower - The Rise of the British Empire From 1497 to 1901

TTC - 295 - From Plato to Postmodernism.- ... Role of the Author (24 lectures) - Louis Markos

TTC - Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations

TTC - Robert Greenberg - How to Listen to and Understand Great Music