Things with TNG

Azrael

I just got done watching season 2.. which marks the end of Kathern Pulaski

Why didn't they show her leave, from the speculation at ditl.org they say she was rather unpopular, but i found myself rather liking her, she had wit and seemed a better dr than crusher.. don't get me wrong i like crusher too though.

my question is how long exactly passes between Season 1 and Season 2, and from Season 2 to Season 3? because there's no mention of her even leaving..they seem to do this alot, like in the first season it seems the engineering cheif changed atleast.. 10 times.

not to mention the transporter guy(finally O'brian is rather regular now, but it seems he's only in 14 episodes.)

TNG was better than DS9, VOY or ENT in that they didn't focus so much on characters. TNG focused on great stories. To focus on Pulaski leaving and Crusher leaving then coming back would have been a great BORE to people back in the 80s and early 90s. They don't spend their hard earned time off to watch some boring scene of Pulaski saying "oh goodbye ship. Goodbye Captain Picard and crew, goodbye computer".

We want action, nothing but pure action, ala Yesterday's Enterprise or Best of Both Worlds. not crap like Bound, The Voyager Conspiracy or DS9 in general.

Victory is......................................................................................................Life!

The time of the seasons is meant to be approximately the length of the season in real life. So it goes around nine months with a couple of months in between. But this isn't always the case you really have to pay attention to the stardates which in TNG start with ~40000 and increase by 1000 each season.

Having said that from season 1 to season 2 - Season 1 finishes June 2364 ( Neutral Zone ) Season 2 Starts July 2364 (The Child)

Season 2 Finishes May 2365 (Shades of Grey) - Season 3 starts later that month (Ensigns of Command) [not the first episode]

Other seasons - 3-4 Mid June 2366(Best of Both Worlds) - July 2366 (episode 2 Family)

4-5 Sept 2367 - Oct 2367

5-6 Sept 2368 - Sept 2368

6-7 Oct 2369 - Oct 2369

So in TNG not a long gap between seasons but to be expected the 26 episodes of most seasons are supposed to be about 2 weeks apart except with double episodes.

TNG was better than DS9, VOY or ENT in that they didn't focus so much on characters. TNG focused on great stories. To focus on Pulaski leaving and Crusher leaving then coming back would have been a great BORE to people back in the 80s and early 90s. They don't spend their hard earned time off to watch some boring scene of Pulaski saying "oh goodbye ship. Goodbye Captain Picard and crew, goodbye computer".

We want action, nothing but pure action, ala Yesterday's Enterprise or Best of Both Worlds. not crap like Bound, The Voyager Conspiracy or DS9 in general.

Victory is......................................................................................................Life!

Old Klingon saying: "Opinions are like bungholes - everyone has one and they all stink!"

How about saying something nice about the other Trek series instead of bashing them. Might be a nice change. Just my 2 cents...

c4 :(

Without characters there is no story, great or otherwise.

752,1127450355,2.jpg

Yes, even I have one.

Pulaski was annoying - both the actress and the character. Every epsode all she did is go "Data, you're a robot who is inferior to humans in every possible way and you're little more than a thing to me."

Data: "What's that Dr. Pulaski? I just finished saving the Enterprise 17 times?"

Mr. Dad's point is quite valid - how can a story exist without characters? Do you perhaps see TNG as an epic struggle between the Enterprise-D and various energy fields? If anything, TNG relied more heavily upon characters than any of the other series... although DS9 did come close at times.

Really there ought to be a term for sci-fi fans who so readily dismiss anything that emphasises character over vomittings of jargon and flashy fight scenes. Several derogatory ones come to mind.

Pulaski's opinion of Data (an opinion that changed as the season progressed, dear Data fanboy) was quite understandable. Not everyone in the universe has an easy time accepting new concepts. I think Pulaski added an interesting perspective on things. She was quite charming too.

Beverly Crusher had her bad moments too. Her inability to see any other viewpoint than the one provided by human morality and culture, for example. It also seems she doesn't give a shit about the prime directive. Also, the acress playing her has the most annoying and meandering acting style I've ever encountered.

752,1127450355,2.jpg

Yes, even I have one.

You have a glory hole?

No, it's a bung hole. Please forgive me if I raised your....hopes.

Old Klingon saying: "Opinions are like bungholes - everyone has one and they all stink!"

How about saying something nice about the other Trek series instead of bashing them. Might be a nice change. Just my 2 cents...

Characters are important to the story like they were in TOS. They were not the story but they were the vehicle through which we can relate to the story. Otherwise its just a random collection of pretty scenery and special effects. This does not mean however that we make an episode (or a scene) on Pulaski leaving the ship, that's too boring and is evidence of poor writing talent. Stories that are too drawn out or focus only on characters are evidence that the writers have no NEW ideas. A lack of NEW IDEAS was evident in ENT, DS9 and to a certain extent in VOY. Even TNG fell into that trap with "Descent". Even special effects got reused. Remember the Xindi vortices that ships dissappeared into? If you watch Descent or VOY you'll see that the effect is pretty much the same.

I must say that Pulaski was never intended to be an ongoing character. Gates McFadden had to leave the show for a time so they brought Pulaski in to fill the gap. To make a scene of Crusher leaving and Pulaski leaving later on would have been a big waste of time and effort and a big bore to fans way back in the day. If you think the later series weren't drawn out take a look at the Bajoran-Prophet plotline-7 seasons long! Dull, dull, dull. The Xindi plot? An entire season long, this gets boring after a while! Then you can take a look at Voyager lost in the Delta Quadrant trying to get home. This can work for a season or two but for an entire series? It's no wonder people stopped tuning into these later series. They were soap operas and repetitive. Those types of TV shows don't gain popularity, it's like watching 20 seasons of Survivor.

Well bbb that's all well and good but sometimes just random stories can be confusing. TOS and TNG were formated so that each story was independant of the rest but DS9 and to a certain extent Voyager had a continuing story to follow this can be bad because they locked themselfs into stories which had to be done but I don't think they were repetitive just that the same themes were explored on several series. I think you need a balance but I don't really know what is best but certainly not so many series at once.

I have a vision of Kirk spinning in his grave.

Not a pretty picture.

I reiterate...

p.s. Nice bunghole there MrDad. Very...............................round....................

c4 B)