The reason you joined this forum?

Carnifex

How did you find out about these forums and/or why did you join?... Me?

Well after aprox 20 posts I finally get around to the reason why I joined this forum, I just got the NiteShdw 170mb full run of DS9, (a full series per disc, you can't beat it) and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

So, to NiteShdw (and to the responsible party) - cheers very much and may all of your maleborn be hung like horses....and something equally beneficial for the girls.

:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a niche.

It's a niche community in a vast sea of genres. You check out places like eztv and filesoup and other places, they have the latest CSI Miami Extreme Beach Survivor American Island Idol. Occasionally they'll have a irc room, maybe even a small forum with a couple people.

Here, it's like a kid in a candy store. It's like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, Peter Pan's Nevernever land, a place where you are surrounded by people who love and cherish the same stuff you do. It has this aura about it that those places I just rattled off give, the kind of feeling where you feel like you can be a kid forever and not have to grow up. Where wonder and imagination are free to roam and grow.

To really describe it, it's as close to a futuristic unhindered experience you'd ever hope to find. I can easily google a dozen or more real-life forums from cars to real estate buying. And while any of those can be good hobbies, they are still bound by the limitations of, well, reality. Science fiction, specifically a place like this devoted to entire that, there are no limitations. You don't have to think "Damn, I can't discuss this one particular episode of the Twilight Zone because I didn't make that much on my paycheck this week." (Compared, to say, a forum about car parts or brands).

Of course the friendly atmosphere and appeal really draws you in, aside from a couple rough-around-the-edges apples who are really just diamonds in the rough, it's as friendly as a trip to Risa :)

Even if there were no torrents or tracker offered by Nite, I'd still stick around. It's fun to be able to discuss a variety of science fiction, with a large user base. Instead of going to ten different forums, probably one for each show I enjoy, I can discuss them all here in one nice simple package. And I even find the appeal here better than say, official forums which are often cluttered amongst flash ads or clunky forum software (Yabb, EZ I'm looking at you).

It's like Cheers, good people, good times, and eventually everyone remembers you by heart.

Good one, thx. :)

I can see what you mean even in my short time here so far, there certainly seems to be a 'real' community feel to the threads as opposed to some other generic forums out there. Sci-Fi seems to be something of a binding point for the inhabitants so I guess that's something in common for a start, where as the in other forums there is rarely a common denominator. Yeah I found this place through torrents but the idea of the forum seems to appeal to me more than getting 'free stuff'.

Initially I was looking for Dr Who Downloads. That lead to curosity about the forums, which led to meeting some very good people (and not so good) and then they made me a mod. I've had a wonderful time here over the past year or do and made some great friends. What I love about the place is the sense of community.

I know it sounds cheesy but it's true. One person I really do miss around here is Elderbear. A very wise man with avery generous spirit.

Gwyneth Paltrow now exits the stage crying hysterically

Well i had been using the Torrent Site for a bit and then i looked on one of the topics on the forum - i decided to post....then i looked about a bit....posted again.....and again.....and so 2323 posts later and i'm still posting - it can get really addictive... :)

OK here's the short boring story:

In a desperate search for Star Trek The Original Series, with the infamous James T Kirk, Spock and all the others, I accidentally stumbled across the torrentsite. Being all desperate and all I registered and thought, I wondered if the forum here is any good while waiting to download all the TOS series. After a few thousand clicks and a couple of days I finished the grand tour and have since then revisited the forum on a regular basis. I've picked up tons of stuff about Sci-Fi and learned how to do it the right way instead of learning the hard way by trial and error. I've read alot of posts about anything (except Dr.Who) and I'm starting "know" some of the regular users habits and odds and end. Like any large group of people there's all sorts of charachters here and some cares more or less about whatever interest them and sometimes a new torrent-hunter shows up and discovers this great forum loaded with sci-fi and starts asking all kinds of questions.

(Yawn) ;)

how I ended up in the forum? I was using torrent site happily for a while and then by accident found out that niteshdw needs a design for torrenttome so I offered my help. didnt know that will lead to posting all over the forum and meeting a bunch of people on irc :D

By the look of things I found you all like others, through torrents.

Months of endless hunting finally lead me here.(Well, that and SG-Atlantis and B5)

Torrents were good and to top it all an interesting community to join.

Healthy debate, unhealthy jokes and opinions galore.

Although I am feeling a bit intimidated by all these great avatars. I haven`t figured out mine ..... Yet?

Anyway here I am.

Also I will take this opportunity to thank all the crew that keep this little piece of the Federation going.

Much appreciated. ;)

I was looking for the bootleg first episode of the new Doctor Who, and someone sent me a link to the torrent site. I visited the forum from there and read the FAQ (because I'd never even heard of torrenting).

When I started having problems with the torrent site, I came to the forum to find out what was up, decided I liked it, and kept coming back. :cyclops:

What took me so long?

I was already active on so many forums that I found it hard to find the time. Now, I mainly visit this one and the first one I joined, with occasional side trips to half-a-dozen or so others.

Found this site while looking for Voyager EPs. Was amazed. Fell in love. Got married and had little forums running all over the house... :cyclops:

Seriously though - great site, great people, good times!

c4 :D

After wandering some ancient torrent sites (loki suprnova etc) I noticed that I could not find some well seeded enterprise and other scifi eps. But after finding something about niteshdw or CHerron on either IRC or Kazaalite (yes I know; never use the fasttrack network:) ) I finally ended up here and wel stayed... And am now a one year member.... (btw don't we get our own veterans group for that??? please!!! :))

I was looking for star trek enterprise. I found it smwhere, i don't remember where but when the download started i saw the name "niteshdw" as the tarcker than i checked my other torrents and realized that most of them were from niteshdw as well. After that i checked this site, started read the forums. But i didn't write anything like for a year cause i didn't know what to write or what to say. I was a little shy.

I didn't know if people will answer my post cause this site was my first forum. Actually i didn't know anything about forums at the begining. But very kind people of this forum hellped me all the way. That's why i love this site very much. This is the first ever site that i made a torrent og my own and uploaded also.

I just got the NiteShdw 170mb full run of DS9' date=' (a full series per disc, you can't beat it) and I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.[/quote']

If you enjoy DS9 that much, why don't you BUY it and give the great actors & writers a nice christmas bonus check? Reward them for all the great work they did on that most-excellent show. They deserve it.

I post to the forums because work is boring.

I'm not sure, but the actor only gets royalties for each episode that is rerun, and whatever deal they made for toys with their image on them.

I joined the forum from finding eps on kazaa. Only a few lurkers, and weren't many topics back then, but I got the ball rolling. Thanks in no part to my GOD like presence, this forum has become a success.

Excuse me while I go worship a golden calf.

Dream on. They were paid after filming it and that was it, everything else is for the big bosses at Paramount.

INCORRECT. According to SAG rules, actors get a residual payment everytime someone watches the show or buys a DVD. Actors (and writers) rely on those residuals to survive between jobs.

So to repeat: If you enjoy DS9 that much, you should support the great actors & writers who entertained you, and buy the official DVDs. It's only $600 for the full series.

Not my words but from the mouth of an actor actually ;)

You must be very rich if you can afford to spend 600 dollars every time you want to. Unfortunately that's something I can only dream about, there's no way in the world I could ever afford that.

But if you feel that way then what are you doing here?

Anyway, we're getting way off topic...