Star Trek DVD price reduction

Mav

I recently saw an article on aintitcoolnews.com about a drastic decrease in the price of certain seasons for The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

The article links back to Amazon.com which as most people know is one of the largest internet stores for stuff ranging from books to dvds.

Seasons One, Two, and Three of The Next Generation (brand new, not used) for $51.99 USD (equals to 42.29 Euro)

Seasons One, Two, and Three of Deep Space Nine (brand new, not used) also for $51.99 USD (equals to 42.29 Euro)

Seasons 4-7 of each (on Amazon.com at least) are still in the $120 range. The good news is, alot of retail stores in real life, also have similar pricing schemes. So if you can grab say, TNG season 1 for $52 on Amazon you can probably also find it in Best Buy or other large outlets for the same price.

One strange thing though, after I converted the USD to Euro price, I checked out Amazon.com's UK site (amazon.co.uk) and did a search on DS9. I was shocked. Every season of DS9 from the euro version of Amazon is retailing for around £31.97 which is around $40 USD. Brand new, seasons 1-7....Whereas the US version of Amazon has season 7 going for $125.99 USD...It would actually be cheaper for me to import the last four seasons of TNG and DS9 than it would be to buy them locally.

I know there aren't many Americans on Nite's forum but hey, thats the cheapest we've ever had Trek dvd's (not counting movies). I'd get'em now while the first few seasons are $50 a pop. Respectable prices for a change ;)

For some DVD's, I've been importing. Generally cheaper (even with shipping costs) and with the region free dvd player and projector, PAL and NTSC don't make a difference. Beats paying twice the cost. (Also why I like this forum so much, I can DL things that I can't find elsewhere)

I wonder if they arent trying to milk the last bit of DVD sales before they come out with enhanced HD DVD versions?

I recently saw an article on aintitcoolnews.com about a drastic decrease in the price of certain seasons for The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

The article links back to Amazon.com which as most people know is one of the largest internet stores for stuff ranging from books to dvds.

Seasons One, Two, and Three of The Next Generation (brand new, not used) for $51.99 USD (equals to 42.29 Euro)

Seasons One, Two, and Three of Deep Space Nine (brand new, not used) also for $51.99 USD (equals to 42.29 Euro)

Seasons 4-7 of each (on Amazon.com at least) are still in the $120 range. The good news is, alot of retail stores in real life, also have similar pricing schemes. So if you can grab say, TNG season 1 for $52 on Amazon you can probably also find it in Best Buy or other large outlets for the same price.

One strange thing though, after I converted the USD to Euro price, I checked out Amazon.com's UK site (amazon.co.uk) and did a search on DS9. I was shocked. Every season of DS9 from the euro version of Amazon is retailing for around £31.97 which is around $40 USD. Brand new, seasons 1-7....Whereas the US version of Amazon has season 7 going for $125.99 USD...It would actually be cheaper for me to import the last four seasons of TNG and DS9 than it would be to buy them locally.

I know there aren't many Americans on Nite's forum but hey, thats the cheapest we've ever had Trek dvd's (not counting movies). I'd get'em now while the first few seasons are $50 a pop. Respectable prices for a change ;)

Well I'm not so much worried about the HD thing cause until regular tv/cable requires an HDTV to view it then I don't plan on upgrading. What I am worried about is, at some point in the future there will be another format change, that will not only require the new hardware to use it but all the old stuff won't work anymore. i.e. cassette tapes won't work in an 8-track player. I'm worried that after spending all the money on dvds to collect them some new format will come out, relatively soon and make dvd obsolete.

Well, at least we know that HD DVD is backwards compatable, so you have some time.

Sadly, electronics always age, and over time, everything becomes obsolete.

Well I'm not so much worried about the HD thing cause until regular tv/cable requires an HDTV to view it then I don't plan on upgrading. What I am worried about is' date=' at some point in the future there will be another format change, that will not only require the new hardware to use it but all the old stuff won't work anymore. i.e. cassette tapes won't work in an 8-track player. I'm worried that after spending all the money on dvds to collect them some new format will come out, relatively soon and make dvd obsolete.[/quote']

I just confirmed on Amazon.com (America) that Seasons 1 - 3 are $52... seaosns 4 - 7 are over a $100... my thought is that the reason is that season 1 - 3 are basically character building / episodal... the story arc takes off in 1 - 7. So charge more for the exciting seasons..

STILL... i wish I had the money to buy the cheaper seasons!

Well, at least we know that HD DVD is backwards compatable, so you have some time.

Sadly, electronics always age, and over time, everything becomes obsolete.

Well I'm not so much worried about the HD thing cause until regular tv/cable requires an HDTV to view it then I don't plan on upgrading. What I am worried about is' date=' at some point in the future there will be another format change, that will not only require the new hardware to use it but all the old stuff won't work anymore. i.e. cassette tapes won't work in an 8-track player. I'm worried that after spending all the money on dvds to collect them some new format will come out, relatively soon and make dvd obsolete.[/quote']

Thankfully, you can get a really good DVD player, and keet it forever more, and be retro when the time comes.

DVDs become cool? Hang onto them, you just never know.

That's been the problem with these compilations. I can see $20. I can even see $40 for a season on DVD. But at $100-$120 per set, they were just too high. Otherwise, I would have gone ahead and gotten them myself.

But thanks to the place here, I can get them for the cost of a few blank DVD's, and the time to p2p.

Ok... www.costco.com has ALL 7 seasons for $300!!

Depending on tax and shipping, that's a fair price. You figure each season is around $50 (change currency based on native country) the first 6 seasons themselves add up to $300 so basically season 7 is "free". And even then you're still saving money cause right now seasons 1-3 are $52 then 4-7 are over $100 each so roughly $630 for 1-3 then 4-7 off amazon.com, so that is an extremely nice find there on Costco the entire collection(s) for less than half of what most other places want.

As for the prices themselves, I totally agree they aren't worth the $100+ price range. I love Star Trek and just about all of it's various series and movies. But even some of the most diehard fans and fanboys won't pay that price. Note I said "some" won't, that's exactly why they charge that much money because the average fan will get them cause they also really enjoy the series. So Paramount figures if the average fan will pay that price range, then the rest will fall in line or simply do without.

Rather funny really, Fox thought the same thing with the X-Files, which also had extremely high prices for their season sets. Now, they are re-releasing them, at around the $50 mark instead of $100+

Offtopic but, what pisses me off though is the obvious monopoly of it. Look at something like, the tv sitcom Friends. It had what, 8+ seasons? TvTome (tv.com) says they had 10 seasons, each with 24 episodes. So that's roughly 240 episodes. At 22 minutes each, minus commericals, that comes to alot of raw content for the entire series right.

Now each season is released on dvd, all 24 episodes of each season in it's own normal box set. Basically the same number of episodes a season of most Trek series has. Granted the Friends episodes are only 22-25 minutes minus commericals, they could have easily have been a normal "one hour" tv show. Now take inaccount the sheer number of ratings this show got when it was on tv, we're talking monster numbers that dwarf even Star Trek (any series) in it's prime. And now finally look at their price, you often find the first five seasons around $19.99 and the last 5 seasons around $40-50. How can one network that's made billions of dollars off of this show, just suddenly set such low prices on the dvds? They could easily price gouge them as Paramount does the Star Trek dvds, but they don't.

And it's the same with quite a few other shows. ER, Seinfeld, hell even older long running stuff like M.A.S.H or Bob Newhart, all are within reasonable price ranges, all long lasting shows (usually 6+ seasons if not many more), but compared to Trek they are but a third or half of what we pay for dvds.

Sorry for the rant but the pricings really do piss me off, I see these lemming idiots walk into stores to buy their latest American Idol or Survivor or Big Brother dvd's at $30 or $40 a season and here I am, trying to scrape together $130 for a single season of TNG or DS9...

• 3 weeks later...

All right, I did it! Costco, $300 (+ $11 shipping) .. all 7 seasons of DS9.. in the box... box material... the full meal deal. $45 a season.

I of course appreciate downloading episodes, but there's something about holding the actual product and (geek moment) displaying it on the shelf that just cant be beat. :D