Are The Wraith the weakest scifi enemy, or what!

Carnifex

In the past we've had Romulans, Kingons, Borgs, Goa'uld, Rogue Ascendants and Replicators and each have had their main strengths and style..

But what do we get stuck with now as the main baddies (in a particularly weak spin off, I may add..) The Wraith.. good grief.. space vampires (ooooooo.... how scarey.. NOT!) The only reason they SEEM to be any kind of threat at all is because the new SG team are stranded without any of earths resourses (and the fact that the have the collective intelligence of a dead bunnie).

It already been proven that they go down after a barage of bullets hit them (ok not for good.. but for a few secs), but they DO go down for good after being shot with their own weapon, soo..... why not just shoot one take it's weapon use that to kill it, then use the new weapon to wash, rinse, repeat... very soon the whole of The new SG team have Wraith weapons and the Wraith then just all die. Or if the team is to dumb for that then carry a supply of axes... take them down with bullets, wait for them to go down then lop their head off (and their arms and legs and make a sizable mess of their torsos..)

Nah.. The Wraith suck...

Well fortunatly creativity of the writters isn't at stake in that series. The idea of vampires is old and has been universally feared by children of all ages. I am guessing that like the Starwars idea of trying to tease youth into the theme. Maybe the idea is to tease them into the newest SG-A series. After all while first watching the show I was kinda intregued but have found that the show was lacking. I think personally they should try and merge SG-A and SG-1 series but from different points of view. I really like the idea of false gods... But that is what the entire series started from and should continue.

I've hated the Wraith since day one. For those exact reasons. Their psychic space vampires, that look as if their on their way to a Marylin Manson concert. And wht is the deal with them opening their mouths all the way and hissing all the time? Is that supposed to be intimidating? I think it's just plain goofy.

Kinda makes me think of a few quotes that O'neil and Daniel jackson made about the Gou'ald several times. Something about the Gouald being cartoony cliche' super villians. The entire concept of the wraith is cartoony, cheesy, unimaginative and over the top.

the only real saving grace for the Wraith as to being an impending threat to everything, is not by observing scenes involving the wraith themselves in them, but by listening to the SGA team talking to natives of a planet, and getting their point of view.

The only sci fi show that hit the nail on the head and made a good attempt at creepy undead themed race, was Star Trek Voyager / TNG when they would show the Borg in their natural habitat on a cube, and the Vedeians raiding ships to harvest body parts "Frankenstine" each other.

Yeah.. the only way to save this show (and it needs saving if these are going to be the 'threat'), is if the show spends all of this time working up the Wraith as baddies to be reckoned with, then as a new arc, their nemisis comes along, wipes them all out in one swoop (it would have to be done in one ep or there would be no impact) and turns and says to the new SG team...."And you thought that THEY were evil..... Mwahahahah"

Otherwise this show is gonna die on it's arse!

I'm kind of surprised about everyone bashing SGA and the Wraith. Maybe it's just me, but I like the series as much as SG-1, and I think that while the Wraith wouldn't do so well against, say, the Replicators, they could probably hold their own against the Gou'ald. As for being cliche and vampire like: vampires are scary, and so are Marilyn Manson fans, and cliche villians are not a new phenomena in Sci-fi. I won't pretend to have seen every SG-1 episode (especially not the recent ones), but the replicators seem somewhat borg like to me, and the Gou'ald are some funky combo of trills, romulans, and egyptians. So don't hate on the Wraith; if they were any tougher it would be completely unbelievable that an SG detachment would survive against them. As they are now, the Atlantis team has a chance for success, though they still face overwhelming odds. If you pitted them against the Borg, seeing the Atlantis team win would be hilarious and completely rediculous. No one would buy it and the show would lose viewers and credibility.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who has watched all the episodes of SG-1 I'm beginning to see the Wraith being turned into twisted clones of the Go'auld. 'Wraith worshippers', turning on each other/territorial, using humans as slaves/food/hosts. A lot of it is very similar.

The character's while they have certain mannerisms that separate them from the SG-1 cast are also being made into clones too. The team leader has the ancient gene and likes bossing people around (Jack/John), the scientist ends up solving everything just in the nick of time (Carter/McKay), the outsider has trouble adjusting and brings his own kick-ass attitude to the table (Teal'c/Ronin) and then the 'emotive' one who believes in settling things peacefully but also has a little extra 'gift' (Daniel{Ancient}/Tayla{Wraith})

It's hard to put into words (but I'll try anyway). They've got to the Pegasus Galaxy only instead of it being an Ancient wonderland it's the same kind of advanced civilisation one moment, primitive one the next and most of them are human. Let's have something the Wraith can't stomach or something Ancient that won't blow up when McKay touches it or somebody else finds or runs out of power before they begin to use it.

HOWEVER I remember the frustration I use to have when they revealed the Asgard, Tok'Ra and the Tolans and they didn't help out. The Tolans were killed off, the Asgard were busy until we helped them kick ass and the Tok'Ra were based on secrecy. Eventually we were given a 'backstage pass' and we got to use some of that wonderful technology particularly the Asgard tech. Most of this didn't happen until season 5 so I say stick with it. If this is Atlantis first two seasons just imagine how great the next two will get.

But what do we get stuck with now as the main baddies (in a particularly weak spin off, I may add..) The Wraith.. good grief.. space vampires (ooooooo.... how scarey.. NOT!) The only reason they SEEM to be any kind of threat at all is because the new SG team are stranded without any of earths resourses (and the fact that the have the collective intelligence of a dead bunnie).

The Wraith present a more, obscure opponent.

The Atlantian crew, are not stranded. The Daedelous can transport supplies and reinforcements from Earth to the Pegasus Galaxy easily enough, and that can increase as time goes on when we build more intergalactic ships.

The Wraith are like the Goa'uld on steroids. They can regenerate as easily, if not more. The difference as we know it is they just drain our lives as compared to stealing our bodies for hosts or Jaffa usage. And there are many, many Wraith. They outnumbered the Ancients, which is really the only reason they "won".

And yea some other villians have been better, but the Goa'ulds are almost all gone. The Replicators would have posed "too great" a threat, I mean while they are cool as hell you just can't have an undefeatable enemy...

Although i agree with people who say that the wraith are stupid space vampires and i believe that the writers could have done a better job, i have to say that apart from that i like stargate atlantis and i think that the characters are good. The writers should just get rid of the wraith and bring in a new enemy.

They are kinda like Ants or bees, coming in great numbers... (weaker then then some enemies perhaps, but bees can kill humans aswell in great numbers, while they are a lot weaker) I don't think they are bad enemies... They just don't really live up to what they are suppose to be.. (seen theyre history with the ancients...)

We need to remember that we haven't seen a huge invasion of wraiths yet, like we never saw an out right invasion from the borg in Star Trek. If the Borg had attacked earth with 30 cubes, Star Trek would have ended seasons ago. And rember how easily they suddenly killed of single borgs evt. Same thing goes for wraiths..

I think it is funny how these so called advanced races/speicies don't learn from thier mistakes..

Perhaps the writers could write a part about some smart Wraith scientist that figures out where Earth is and all the Wraith decide to take a vacation there for fun and food. Halfway there, the Wraith come across the Replicators and BAM.

Then we'll see some action from both SGA and SG-1 :P

Actually, this is what I see:

The Wraith sat there and defeated the Ancients long ago. Now, we come along, and the Wraith are suddenly nerfed. The writers need to stop nerfing the Wraith, and start really doing the job right.

They can't not nerf them, if that makes sense. If they scale them back too much then it's too easy for the Tauri to defeat them. If they unleash them to their full Ancient-defeating potential, then Atlantis is not only wiped out easily with it's one zedpm then they simply aquire inter-galactic travel and pwn Earth, easily.

End of both series not just Atlantis ;(

They walk a fine line really, the writers that is. They have to make it a challenge, a threat, yet at the same time it can't be a pushover win.

Well the wraith are just like replicators, but they eat human not thier ships. Thier technoligy wasn't better then the ancients, they were underestimated- Like the Gua'uld underestimated the tauri, and because of that their "experiments"

re-evolving humans, weaker less advanced ones, were easy pickings, they were free food and the wraith numbers swelled. If the ancients wanted they could have just waited the wraith out in atlantis, cause they had to hibernate evt. Due to extreme lack of food. So in a few 1000 years what is left of the wraith is 60 hive ships... that wouldn't be hard for the ancients to defeat, 6000 though...

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure if the Wraith can be considered the weakest sci-fi enemy of all time' date=' but they certainly looked a lot more powerful when SGA started. Now, unfortunately, a couple of bullets can finish them off...[/quote']

yea but you've got to remember that all the hive ships awoke and there is not enogh food for them all so of course they would be weak, I remember an episode from season 1 where it took a whole episode just to kill a single wraith because he had only just fed and he kept healing himself.

I see what you mean though without their super healing abilities they're a bit naff

The parallels between goa'auld and wraith are quite hilarious:

Silly voice - check

Cartoonish evil - check

Periodically raiding places for people - check

Enhanced regeneration - check

But yes - psychic space vampires sums them up.

There physical resilience seems to have decreased massively and for a race that is always bragging about numbers... even if there is the whole civil war thing going on, how come we haven't heard about whole planets getting wiped out?

SGA isn't a bad spin-off, I mean it's much like any of the Trek shows in that it's merely a mild alteration to the winning formula.