Should the world unite under one all powerful government?

06casswp

Should the world unite under one all powerful democratically elected government system?

A government composed of a couple of hundred leaders who come to decisions unilaterally; a group of people who control one global army, police force, space program and people who can effectively organise the world's resources and problems such as poverty and disease. A system which can give us more hope in the future when oil and such runs out.

ADDITION:

The government would be controlled by several smaller groups who have the power to overt turn the government!

If the government did something bad it would be kicked out. It would also never be able to do what it liked. The smaller leadership circle would mean less corruption and other political things. Everybody would have many people watching their actions.

The system's mean that if you did something wrong then you would be penalised accordingly.

Army to keep order, like in middle eastern countries where there may be some "rogue states."

Power is realativley distributed, no one person has all authority. It would act like a jury.

ALL powerful in reference to decision making, not all powerful can do anything without being stopped.

All this would have been included but I tried to get you to come up with some ideas of how it would exactly be run!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet you get mostly NO answers. Which is funny cause the Star Trek universe has that as it's underlying theme. Isn't the Earth (in Star Trek) united as one people...humans...not Americans or Mexicans or Russians...etc...?

c4 :thinking:

Yes, no more world wars, and then we can finally focus on the last frontier were no man has gone before. :)

I'd be willing to bet you get mostly NO answers. Which is funny cause the Star Trek universe has that as it's underlying theme. Isn't the Earth (in Star Trek) united as one people...humans...not Americans or Mexicans or Russians...etc...?

Well you could be wrong.... 4 people have already voted Yes... Seems that we star trek people are quite enlightend.

For me:

Yes, as long as no corporations whatsoever get any say in it. Corporations are evil!

oh yes, agreed. no corporations and no one country priorities over another so that some areas become neglected becose of that (any sort of lobbying is bad)..

Yes, no more world wars, and then we can finally focus on the last frontier were no man has gone before. :)

Well you could be wrong.... 4 people have already voted Yes... Seems that we star trek people are quite enlightend.

I was basing my assumptions on all the "anti-this country' and "anti-that country" threads of late. It's nice to be proven wrong in this instance I must say.

c4 :D :D :D

I was basing my assumptions on all the "anti-this country' and "anti-that country" threads of late. It's nice to be proven wrong in this instance I must say.

c4 :D :D :D

long live the federation of countries! (and planets when we come to that) ;)

p.s. FOC for short :D

It will come to that when colonisation of the galaxy begins. A global(outer) threat would also do it. I think it would be better for everyone if we were united.

Yeah we need some bad aliens to kick our asses, maybe then we will unite...

You would have to make the world seem really small before everyone was on the same page as far as global unity. I actually meant to vote no, I don't know what happened.

I do favor the idea of the Gene Rodenberry outlook, but with my limited imagination (and being skeptical like c4) I can't see any other option but a global threat.

Should the world unite under one all powerful democratically elected government system?

Hell no. I remember a Roman philosopher saying, "If you are declared an enemy of the state, there is nowhere to run. All the known world is under the Roman Emperor's brutal hand."

What if the One-World Government fell into the hands of another Stalin? During the Cold War, people could escape Stalin and seek freedom under other governments. But what if Stalin controlled the whole world under a single government? You would be trapped.

A government composed of a couple of hundred leaders who come to decisions unilaterally; a group of people who control one global army, police force, space program and people who can effectively organise the world's resources and problems such as poverty and disease. A system which can give us more hope in the future when oil and such runs out.

if this was a world we lived in, why would we need "one global army"? who would we fight? we would all be on the same side!

If it's based on the parameters described in the first post, absolutely not. Read carefully. This is not anywhere near the world described in Star Trek. 'unilateral decisions' and having one small group control everything is not democratic.

World government may happen one day, but with all the mistrust and conflict and suspicions between us, I don't think we are ready for it yet. In order for it to work, I think there would need to be a very broadly based concensus. Otherwise, we'd just be setting up another bureaucratic, oppressive system, and I doubt it would work.

The state, whether a "one world" state, or the nation states we inhabit today, should NEVER be all powerful... that would be an invitation to tyranny. Government should be collaborative and power should be distributed. I mean, most contemporary democracies have some version of separation of powers doctrine in place ie. the separation of powers bewteen the Judiciary, the Executive and the Legislature.

I think you'll find that had this question been phrased differently, and had we been asked whether we would support some confederation of world states, such that national sovereignty was maintained -not unlike the EU- that perhaps the results would have come out even more in support of some sort of world government.