Scariest Sci-Fi Ever?

Tenebrae

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remeber Alien being scary the first time I saw it, but now that I have seen it 12 times and can recite lines, it is hard to say whether it is actually scary or not.

edit: Ignore this, I didn't notice that Alien was out of the running.

I'd agree with you - it gets to the point where you've seen a film so many times, no matter how long goes between viewings, you know every moment.

Night of the Living Dead is a good film. Although I believe Romero has said that the probe wasn't necessairily the cause of the resurrected dead, it was merely what people thought was the probable cause.

And yes that is a limb... because generally, that kind of unexplained monster appearing type scenario generally just gets lumped in with horror.

I'm gonna upload Friday the 13th: The Series as soon as my eMule gets it to me. It'll be interesting how grown-up minds will think about it. ("grown-up refers to biologically' date=' and in no way "behaviorally")[/quote']

I don't know that I'd classify Ft13th-TS as sci-fi, per say. More paranormal/occult. But it was good and creepy. John Carpenter's The Thing has always been one of my favorites.

Two games that need obvious nomination:

System Shock 2 - all alone on a ship full of a psychotic AI and infested humans. I dare you to not be scared ;)

Half Life 2 - We don't go to Ravenholme any more.

AH, ZOMBIES!

Honourable mention for Thief 3 - as it's not sci-fi but The Cradle is quite terrorful.

Oh man, I didn't know that GAMES counted! Not much I can say about System Shock 2, as it definatelly scared the hell out of me, but I'll see your HL2, and raise you a Deus Ex (just for the later levels) and a Alien Vs Predator 2 for the PC, playing the marine campaign.

EDIT: You already mentioned the AvP games... so how about The first couple of levels of Doom 3 / Quake 3 before it gets repetitive, and F.E.A.R, instead?

Doom 3 had some good tension... F.E.A.R. was better though.

I don't think DX had that many scary bits... the aliens etc just got to be annoying. That and of course, I was the ultimate predator with my uber twinked assault rife.

AvP 2 as the Marine was definitely the scariest thing ever. Especially the way the xenomorphs could jump about a 100 feet into the air... they didn't like that exosuit though. Hahaha.

If we're talking games now, I've played two Resident Evil games. The firs, I believe it was, Resident Evil 2. They had ported over to the N64 back around 1999/2000. I rented it, having never played the first one but people recommended it. Anyways I didn't have a lamp on as the sun was out late in the afternoon and it set so it was dark, athat game was scary as hell....Ironically I played Code Veronica not long after but it wasn't as scary. Walkign down the corridors of the mansion and suddenly having stuff jump through windows grabbing you was defecate-your-pants scary.

Other than that I've never found a scary science fiction game. You'd think with the way games are these days the arcades would have a really high definition finely-detailed zombie shooter. Toss in special effects you see out of Romero movies with the scare tactics and that would be some scream like a little girl scary.