USTV - WB and UPN merge into one national network = CW

Anonyman

WB and UPN were born in January 1995. WB featured hit shows Dawson's Creek, Gilmore Girls, Charmed, Felicity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Smallville, Supernatural, Seventh Heaven, Reba and Kids WB. The network was known as "teens network" due to focus on the youth market. ----- UPN debuted with the major hit Star Trek Voyager but struggled to find an identity, and never succeeded. Its hit shows were Voyager, Enterprise, Veronica Mars, America's Next Top Model.

Both WB and UPN are $0.7 billion and $1 billion dollars in debt. The new merger will take the best of each to form a new antenna-based network reaching 95% of America's airwaves. The competing networks are FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, each covering 100% of the airwaves.

LINK: http://upn57.com/content/local_story_026112800.html

===================================================

Buffy May Have Slain Two Networks on the Edge

When the obituary is written of the WB network, the cause of death should probably read: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." The WB's loss of "Buffy" - which breathed new life into the struggling UPN - set in motion a pitched battle for the coveted youth market that would eventually doom both networks.

"It came down to two very large and very well-funded media companies trying to take one seat at the table," said WB President. Television and advertising executives say that, in the end, two networks vying for the same audience just didn't work.

CONTINUED: http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/la-fi-buffy29jan29,0,7055231.story

That's interesting, do two wrongs make a right? I didn't think the WB was in trouble, but they do have coverage, add in all the independant UPN stations and that should be good for coverage, but what about the programming? I wonder if that will still be as unattractive as it is now. The only use I had was Enterprise and now that it's in reruns they still have a crap spot.

I like many show -- WB = Gilmore Girls, Charmed, Smallville, Supernatural, Seventh Heaven.

UPN = Veronica Mars, America's Next Top Model.

Combined together is a good schedule for the new WB/UPN network.

The alternative to this merger? Was WB and UPN declaring bankruptcy & disappearing completely. No more Veronica Mars. No more Supernatural. Or Smallville. Or Aquaman. Dead.