The Quality of Sci-Fi Series This Last Year...

razorlock

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your shows would not get shown on TV because no one cares about The Conquest of Matter-Reality' date=' Dimension Lords, Time Roots, Infinity Circuits, Crystalons, and the rest of these clichéd constructs you made up in the shower. Your whole shtick about corporatism and how it sucks the bad guys never win is so tired and stereotypical of an angst ridden youth who needs to grow up.[/quote']

If you're such an authority on creative originality, why don't you get off your ass and come up with something new and interesting. By far, you're coming off as nothing but an armchair critic with little to offer but your own noxious sentiments, smugly dismissing someone else's efforts and your critisism is a cliche in itself, how is that for irony you made me laugh out loud. :cyclops:

Also, being judgemental and insulting to people on the internet that you have never met in person or know anything about is never a good idea and just makes you look like the angst-ridden teen that needs to grow up. I can definitly see why you chose that avatar now.

Your shows would not get shown on TV because no one cares about The Conquest of Matter-Reality' date=' Dimension Lords, Time Roots, Infinity Circuits, Crystalons, and the rest of these clichéd constructs you made up in the shower. Your whole shtick about corporatism and how it sucks the bad guys never win is so tired and stereotypical of an angst ridden youth who needs to grow up.[/quote']

If you're such an authority on creative originality, why don't you get off your ass and come up with something new and interesting. By far, you're coming off as nothing but an armchair critic with little to offer but your own noxious sentiments, smugly dismissing someone else's efforts and your critisism is a cliche in itself, how is that for irony you made me laugh out loud. :cyclops:

Also, being judgemental and insulting to people on the internet that you have never met in person or know anything about is never a good idea and just makes you look like the angst-ridden teen that needs to grow up. I can definitly see why you chose that avatar now.

Two tired arguements in a row. Here...I'll give you some ideas...if you're going to have aliens in a show....make sure they are not all one dimensional and conform to a general stereotype. Romulans =sneaky, Klingons=crude, etc, etc. Pretty lame. Humans have to be a central focal point of the show...somehow. Hell, go ahead and make them the bad guys if you want. But that's just the way it is. You have to have characters as the central point to your story, epic struggles between galactic super powers are cool but get old pretty quick if you have no emotional investment in characters. I have lots of ideas, but I'm saving them for a script I may or may not co-author with someone.

There *are* characters, there is just nothing about them on the website as of yet, just very basic information. If you think humans have to be the focal point of a show then it sounds like a lack of imagination to me. Aliens can be written as likeable and interesting characters with depth, allthough given it takes alot of effort and skill and is a rarely done right, but it can be done and I take alot of time with my writing...years even and iv had over a decade to get my ideas right. One of my main annoyances with aliens portrayed in shows is that they are usually so 1-dimensional, your star trek examples are exactly the kind of thing that bugs me too.

A good example, allthough not "aliens", but "creatures" anyhow done right I would have to say the lead characters in The Dark Crystal are positive proof humans are not allways needed.

Also my sci-fi is made from ideas I get from dreams iv had for the past 20 years or so, no angst there..just my vision or explanation of the nature of reality/the univserse ect. I'll be putting the first story online, so perhaps judge it when you've seen it eh ?

There *are* characters, there is just nothing about them on the website as of yet, just very basic information. If you think humans have to be the focal point of a show then it sounds like a lack of imagination to me. Aliens can be written as likeable and interesting characters with depth, allthough given it takes alot of effort and skill and is a rarely done right, but it can be done and I take alot of time with my writing...years even and iv had over a decade to get my ideas right. One of my main annoyances with aliens portrayed in shows is that they are usually so 1-dimensional, your star trek examples are exactly the kind of thing that bugs me too.

A good example, allthough not "aliens", but "creatures" anyhow done right I would have to say the lead characters in The Dark Crystal are positive proof humans are not allways needed.

Also my sci-fi is made from ideas I get from dreams iv had for the past 20 years or so, no angst there..just my vision or explanation of the nature of reality/the univserse ect. I'll be putting the first story online, so perhaps judge it when you've seen it eh ?

The thing with aliens is that they are still just manifestations of human beings while at the same time you completely alienate (no pun intended) your audience. How do you plan to convey a reference or humor from an alien’s perspective? It's not impossible but more likely then not you're going to lock yourself into stale monotone dialogue a-typical of the genre when two aliens exchange words (Think of a 20 minute conversation between 2 Asgard). It's even worse in that you have these super powerful trans-universal beings. All of the interesting aliens are the petty humanoid ones like Talaxians, not the higher evolved ones. I'm just skeptical, that's all.

Personally I'm looking for a more human approach or an extension of the almost fantasy like way aliens are dealt with on Farscape or in the Star Wars universe. Revolvers, eye patches, blue grass music, and good guys winning? There are no good guys.

I'd love to see some kind of alien only show... but the simple fact of the matter is, 99% of people can't stomach something that doesn't have at least one human and many more human looking aliens and at least one person that spouts pop culture refences 24/7.

Peter F. Hamilton did good aliens... Let's see there were only 2 main alien races. One bunch were super advanced and pretty much better than humans in every way and just hanging around to see how we did. The others were kind of stupid and didn't really act in a way that humans could understand.

Ace.