Captains?

Azrael

I think it did make for an interesting point - even Starfleet officers are breakable' date=' and I like that. There's something not quite right about humans who are always so good, and Randsom + crew showed us that humanity hasn't changed beyond all regognition.[/quote']

Yes, it did make an interesting point and it was a great 2 parter. No doubt about that. But that's not the issue. The issue is...was he right or wrong. I say he was wrong. No matter the circumstances. Killing innocents is plain wrong.

He was wrong to kill' date=' but I do think those episodes showed us an all too familiar side of humainty hasn't been eliminated, even in the 24th century.[/quote']

True. How true. I did like the fact that he repented and helped Janeway. He remembered that he was a Star fleet officer. He even gave his life in the end.

c4 B)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone bashes Janeway, but she was the right captain to get that crew home. Her ability to be nurturing was necessary to foster loyalty in a crew trapped a lifetime away from the military organization they were sworn members of, and from their homes. While she occasionally overreacted when she felt betrayed, what captain didn't occasionally go off the deep end. Moreover, one of the signs of a good captain is the ability to choose a good first officer. Her choice to make Chakotay her first officer, and in most cases to follow his advice is one of her strongest points. All in all, she was a far more dynamic and well rounded leader than any of the other ST captains, and had to face a far more difficult set of challenges. Not only did she have to cope with the typical horrors that face ST captains, such as aliens bent on destruction, assimilation, or theft, but she had to do so far from home with no possibility of backup or support if she failed, fully aware of the fact that no one would ever discover their fate, or avenge them if she led her crew to destruction.

Randsom was wrong to kill innocents - but his approach to the Delta Quadrent seemed much more....logical i guess - i mean if it wern't for Voyager - you could believe that that crew had the strength and ideas to get home

Even though killing of that nature is wrong' date=' it can be justified. Anything can be justified, and I think I caould justify those actions under the same set of circumstances.[/quote']

That's a shame.

I suppose it's an issue of individual moral compass.

Or lack thereof.

c4 :(

SNIPPET:

Moreover' date=' one of the signs of a good captain is the ability to choose a good first officer. Her choice to make Chakotay her first officer, and in most cases to follow his advice is one of her strongest points. [/quote']

A very good point indeed. She even chose him over "her old friend" Tuvok.

c4 B)

1. Picard

2. Sisko

3. Archer

4. Kirk

5. Janeway

Picard is about as rounded a captain as you'll get. He's driven by strong morals and sense of duty and humanity.

Sisko is a VERY close second however, I really don't get what people are saying about this 'acting by shouting' thing, am I the only one here who finds Avery Brooks' performances emotionally spellbinding and totally, totally real? For eg. 'Far Beyond the Stars', 'Waltz', etc... The sheer intensity and passion he exudes are incredible for a character in a mainstream television show. and when he does 'go off on one', it's hardly without good reason. And after all remember, this guy lost his wife in battle and is a single parent of a rapidly developing teenage boy...and that's before he puts on his uniform to become a) station commander, b) Captain of the Defiant, c) Emissary of the Prophets, d) Strategic Adviser to Starfleet Command in the Dominion War. I can't think of another Star Trek captain who could handle all that and still stay as calm and focused as he is MOST OF THE TIME! ;)

Archer...now, Archer differs from the other captains in that he has no Federation, no Prime Directive, no intel on much outside of Earth and Vulcan...AND HE STILL GETS THE JOB DONE. It's easy for picard and Janeway to pontificate about high morals when they're sitting in their plush leather chairs in their plush, IKEA-clad spaceliners with thousands of ships and races backing them up. What would Picard have done in the Delphic Expanse? Sat around and mused with Troi and Data about the moral implications of theft while the Xindi played corkscrew with the Earth? Simply put, Archer had not the luxury of choice. He KNEW beyond all doubt that if he didn't make the calls he did, Earth would have been destroyed. It may have taken the aliens 3 years to get home, but I mean c'mon, extra travel time for some traders or total annihilation of a species...hmmm....? Okay, they had nothing to do with the Xindi/Human conflict, but those are the breaks, yknow? Besides, Archer felt just like Trip, that these aliens butchered millions of people and deserved to pay dearly, indeed his rage was sometimes close to the surface but did he want to go in and destroy the Xindi? No, he wanted to HELP THEM. 'Light switch morals', eh? Bullshit. He did a fantastic job and without him, there would have been none of the other captains, because there would have been no Federation. Case closed.

Kirk was the starting point when the writers imagined a captain of a celebral starship in the far future. Camp, mysogenistic and chauvinist to the core, he was nevertheless a product of 1960s culture, and in the features he came on a lot more (forget ST:V!!). The fact that he fraternised with so many women involved with his missions is so unrealistic it's laughable anyway, so it's not like it's a serious character flaw!

Janeway always seemed more like a schoolteacher than a commanding officer. Dull, grating and utterly devoid of inspirational qualities, much like her crew... If the Doctor had been running the ship they would have been home in days. Janeway was emotionally unengaging, and a tragically wasted opportunity to show a charismatic, role model of a female CO, one of the reasons I didn't care much for Voyager (the other reasons are the rest of the cast. And Brannon Braga. I mean who the flying fuck wants to watch an episode where Tom Paris breaks the Warp 10 barrier and consequently turns into a lizard? It's garbage like that that gives Star Trek a bad name).

This is from the Star Trek Voyager News webpage. Was published just before the EP "Q Two".

Voyager Nominated For Saturn Awards

Voyager received three nominations from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films for its 27th Annual Saturn Awards.

The nominations are for:

Network Television Series - Star Trek: Voyager

Actress on Television - Kate Mulgrew

Supporting Actress on Television - Jeri Ryan

Kate Mulgrew won a Saturn Award in 1998 for Voyager.

Voyager was nominated for eight Emmys in the 2000-2001 season.

So I guess Voyager didn't stink too bad. *c4 sticks out tongue and gives the nay-sayers a raspberry*

c4 :stare:

My favorite is Picard, followed by Kirk. I grew up watching TNG and the movies, so I think of these two when someone says "Star Trek captain." I also think that Patrick Stewart is in a different class than all the others when it comes to acting ability.

Janway is way smarter than picard. She took on the borg, species 8472, krenim, hirogens.. etc..

Picard took on the borg but got his ass assimilated. When it comes down to Stragedy He is not that good at it.

JANEWAY FOR ME

Ah, but when Picard took on the Borg, they were still hard, not watered down by the writers to make Janeway look better (or 8472 if you'd rather think of it that way).

The best Captain was Picard, followed by Kirk and then Sisko, never been a particular fan of Janeway, and although I'm on to watching the last few episodes of ENT S4, I still haven't made up my mind about Archer. Sulu would have been pretty good as well, although he looked silly pulling himself accross the bridge by his finger nails in ST6, he might have at least tried to get on hands and knees.