Battlestar Galactica Intro.

anthonyisbad

in the second season they temporarily cut out the montage in the theme song that showed clips of things that were going to happen in that episode. according to wikipedia they cut it out because they said fans complained it spoiled the episode.

personally i love the montage in the theme song, it really pumps you up and i don't think it gives away too much, in my opinion it just makes me want to watch the episode even more. i was just wondering how you all felt about it?

I like it. Sure it can quote unquote spoil a few things, but alot of times things you see that you think are spoiled turn out to be completely different things.

Case in point this past weeks episode 2x15, the montage a quick flash of someone handing someone else a loaded pistol. Coulda been used in anyway, hell I thought someone was gonna be shot given the premise of the episode summary. Yet what did it turn out to be? A simply firing accuracy test for when they pilots through a gyroscope device then test their firing accuracey at a target range.

If you ask me what's really spoiling is the previews during commericals. Like all week long they'll have a commerical that previews that weeks upcoming episode. Now these previews themselves aren't all spoilers they are just that a preview. But they replay the previews so often (like every other commerical, guaranteed) that you not only start to formulate what you think the episode is but pick things out almost frame-by-frame since you've seen it so many times.

I'm getting really tired of the gimmick where the pre-credits sequence is what happens at the end of the show and the rest is all flashback where you find out how they got to that point. BSG has used it in the last couple of episodes, and so have most recent eps of SG-1, Atlantis, and Smallville. I really started to notice it when I sat down and watched all four shows back to back a couple of weeks ago.

Really enjoyed this episode though, even more so that neither Baltar or 6 were in it.

I'm getting really tired of the gimmick where the pre-credits sequence is what happens at the end of the show and the rest is all flashback where you find out how they got to that point.

I was complaining about the very same thing recently. Time to think of a new story telling device.

Just get rid of them - I don't mind if it's stock footage but it gives away too much if it's from the actual episode.

On a par with the badness of "next week!"

the whole "next week" preview that BSG and hundreds of other shows use is essential. i hate going into a new episode and not knowing the basic premise of what it is about. say i'm watching a show i like but not fully engrossed into it like i am star trek or bsg. if i have to waste ten or fifteen minutes watching the beginning of the episode to learn what the episode is about and end up disliking it I've then wasted my own time. but with a preview, i may possibly be able ot make that decision to watch it or catch it on a later viewing based on my initial decision.

I like the montage. It makes the intro a little different for each episode and pleasantly replaces the "next time on..." ad i get to see just before the show on some networks. Besides, they are usually done well enough to be a suspense builder, and I like that, too.

I agree. The montage is definitely preferable to a "This week on..." montage and it's quicker too so no precious airtime is wasted (These days we're lucky to see 43 minutes of actual story, not including opening and ending credits, in an "hour long" programme). Of course we still get a "previously on.." montage at the beginning of most eps so.... nevermind.

Didn't anyone ever watch Thunderbirds? Same problem/quibble. They showed a montage of what happened in the episode right at the start.

I suppose it's comparable to knowing the future - knowing the future is one thing but living it is another thing entirely.

Take Boomer in series one. We knew she was a Cylon way before the characters did (from the pilot). We knew she was capable of killing the crew with the water episode but what we didn't expect was her pumping three rounds into Adama's chest right when we thought she had overcome her Cylon heritage/programming.

Seeing the images, making a guess, you can still be wrong. And if you get it right then you are obviously smart enough to figure it out. Bravo!

• 3 weeks later...

Wit the sky broadcast in the Uk, we are currently to the epidoe where lucy lawless first appears. The montage is in, or back as the case was, but they don't and haven't used a 'new week on...' Sky don't see to wish to ruin things in advance, they've never used it for 24 and they've never used it for BSG. Which is just as well.

Well, I don't mind, but, since there are people complaining about the montage, maybe cutting it out was the best decision.

Personally, I'd like to see at least one episode of the new BSG opening with the classic theme song. That'd be cool! :)