Has anyone ever been busted....

xalloutwarx

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone did, I doubt they'd be here. I got a letter once about distributing a movie that I, in fact, had nothing to do with (isohunt.com was showing niteshdw.com as a tracker on nearly everything). I just said "Sure thing! Whatever you want!" and that was that.

Fortunately, no I have not. I think most ISPs are fairly lenient about the whole thing, I mean they can see the network traffic on they're end so they can tell when something is being downloaded or uploaded (though the download verus upload issue is another debate). I think they generally only care about people who seed/upload a TON of stuff (look at some private trackers and you see people who've seeded over a terabyte of data in only a few months..).

I got busted masterbating once :cyclops:

but seriously.. my sister did once get a letter from our cable company for serving in and IRC chatroom, listed every move she had served and everything. Told her to stop or they'd cut off her cable modem and send the list to the MPAA. So she stopped.

Yeah, got busted for dling a movie recently. My ISP warned me that they've been contacted by a snitch group. They (ISP) said that they've so far kept my info secret, but if more notice is received, they'll disconnect me. So far, I've been good and only kept to TV shows (and old ones at that). Am I on their watchdog list now?

You could get busted for uploading, but downloading is legal here.... So only 50% of my activities are illegal so I have a lot less chance of getting busted than the average world population. And well, I doubt if the long arm of the MPAA reaches to europe....

I know people in the United Kingdom have been busted for up/downloading films and mp3s.... i guess we have something thats kinda like the MPAA, but i dont know if the MPAA acually keeps an eye on people here!!

also one question to those who got letters from there ISP... was this in e-mail form? to your e-mail address that your ISP gave you?? or was it a postal letter? i havent had access to my ISP e-mail account for years!!!

Also i always hear that downloading is OK, and uploading is NOT! so if i did download all my ST from a p2p otherthen bittorrent, and didnt upload back, ill be fine??? i not going to tho, bittorrent is a great little program/community... im just interested to find an answer!!!

also i live in the UK!

I've had my modem "throttled back" by my ISP a few times for "over saturating the network". They also forwarded me a letter they received from Norton Antivirus threatening me with jail for uploading their products (but nothing happened).

That's it thankfully...

c4 B)

when people say "Letter" do they mean email or postal? kinda confusing :)

If you're refering to my post -

I received an actual paper snail-mail letter.

c4 B)

ill try peer guardian thanks!!!

yes c4, just cus the email address my ISP has, i cant get access to, so i just wondered in general what means the ISP's use to contact people... cus for all i know, i could have a inbox full of "warning" im not aware of

thanks