Has anyone ever been busted....

xalloutwarx

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... I'd say something like "there are legtimate uses."

But as Bit Torrent apparently makes up SIXTY PERCENT (I'm not sure as to the accuracy but numbers bandied about seem to ovulate around 40-60) of Interweb bandwidth, I think it's fair to say we're all either doing a lot of legtimate downloading or some people are being very naughty.

Every ISP that sell fast connections know what they are used for and they wouldnt be selling that if no one would download on dc or bittorrent.

True, if Isp's illegalize torrenting, bandwidth above 512 kb/s would serve no purpose meaning no profit.

I never really download movies. Most of what I download is TV shows which I cannot see any other way, and if I like the TV show I will usually buy that on DVD anyway, so I guess if I ever get busted I can just say it was downloaded as a backup for the DVD which I think is legal ? Also the most I download a month on average is a few gigs.

It's mainly downloading newly released stuff that you'd get busted for - is that correct?

That would seem to be the case. BTW, I was busted for dling a pre-release film. The movie was already showing by the time I snatched it, but the torrent was labeled as "pre-released". Avoid those like the plague, as the industries has their own people using torrents.

I DO NOT DOWNLOAD MOVIES ANYMORE, JUST TO LET SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS KNOW

No,

I do not believe that downloading TV shows is immoral in anyway. You just need to stand back and look at the construction and meaning of a TV show. All TV shows are not meant as entertainment the idea behind them is 100% advertising. Ad's pay to create a TV episode from conseption to implementation once that show has aired and the ads have been shown the show has paid itself off.

I see - because i really don't download a lot of new stuff...at all really - i rarley download movies - and i don't download the latest eps of new Sci-FI shows - i'll wait a while before i download anything like that. Reasures me a bit

A lot of shows are still in Debt. They spend more $$$ making the show, than is collected by advertising.

They recover the lost money through Sci-Fi Channel Reruns & DVD Sales.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

You sound like someone I know...

...naw, couldn't be...

c4 :thinking:

Never had any trouble and don't know anyone personally that has.

I did have a pirate BBS for most of the 80's that had a bit more attention than I would have liked for a short time.

But those problems were caused by pirated games along with hacking a phreaking. B)

Now there is a very good chance I could be wrong about this, but as far as I understand, the MPAA only has jurisdiction in the United States. As far as the UK, Canada, and other countries, I believe they essentially ask you to present yourself to the US court system. They just don't tell you that you can refuse. Then they can try to pursue you through your own country's legal system (and here in Canada they would have a very hard time) or request you extradited.

Now, extradition is usually a big process involving diplomats and paperwork and attaché cases and I'd doubt they'd go through that ordeal even if no greater power than themselves stopped it.

So, if my understanding is correct, the MPAA, RIAA and the like only have power over US citizens.

An additional note - digital music players (iPods, mp3 players) sold in Canada have a flat tax incorporated in the price that goes specifically to the artist (which takes care of the artists' rights) and transferring music from one medium to another is considered legal fair use in our copyright code (which takes care of the publishers' copyrights). So downloading music in Canada is legal. Nothing is said regarding uploading or video files transfer.