Battlestar Galactica 2x16

Mav

2x16 "Sacrifice"

When civilians learn that Galactica is harboring a Cylon spy' date=' they take hostages and demand Sharon's life in exchange for Apollo's.[/quote']

The episode is just now over and....I just cant put it into words almost.

They had to ruin the best relationship on the entire frakking show?......

Sure, Dee is a small character. Sure, Billy was too. Look past them and at their actual characters. Here is a guy who suddenly finds himself aid to the President of the Colonies after a massive genocidal attack of the Cylons. He's young, very little political experience, he'd soon crawl in a hole than face the press for a conference usually. And here's a girl who left behind her parents to join the Colonial Fleet aganist their wishes. She's a trained soldier, experienced communications expert, who finds this innocent guy to be the yin to her yang.

And they kill the guy. Why? Why kill Billy? I loved his character. yea he's a minor one but minor characters can sometimes help carry a show on the backburner sometimes.

Now before Billy even got shot, I was furious at what they did with Dee. They made her fall in love with Apollo, while she was seriously dating Billy? I wanted to see her get shot. Why is it the adulterous-type people are the ones that never get killed, hurt or anything yet the good loyal honest people are the ones that bite the big one?

The episode title fits perfectly, they sacrificed someone. It wasn't Apollo, wasn't Dee hell it wasn't even the Cylon they have sitting in the brig. No it was one of the most loyal trusting people they have who got the run around by his slutty girlfriend.

I know, I'm straying off my usual science fiction love for the show and more into a 90210 area but damnit we don't often get romance in science fiction and when we do it's always short lived :(. Discuss.

the funny thing is:

the reason lies outside the series.

it is not a story related issue.

in order to fully understand why they decided to kill the character you should listen to the podcast:

EPISODE 216: "SACRIFICE"

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/

I'm sure the podcast (amongst all the others) reveils some stuff that sheds light on why this or that happens. I'm just not a podcast fan (offtopic but I boycott podcasts themselves since all they are is a simply shoutcast mp3 file that anyone with a microphone and computer can create and have been for 8+ years now).

Anyways can you summarize why they offed Billy? Or better yet why did they make Dee turn slut and run around on Billy behind his back? Sure nothing ever really "happened" between her and Apollo (speaking sexually of course) but I still detest it when a character lies about blatant feelings for another person, if they cant just be honest about it with the person they are currently with then they have issues that needs therapy to fix.

this is what the producer Ronald D. Moore says in his mp3:

they killed the character Billy Keikeya from Battlestar Galactica because the Billy-actor Paul Campbell was offered roles outside BSG.

usually (apart from Fox's 24) a character is killed once the actor wants to leave.

Why make Dee slutty(ish) - becose BSG is about human flaws and this is also one of them imho. But I liked Billy (as I see almost all here did) and I will miss him - really cool guy.

Maybe Dee and Apollo will become closer in next eps becose of this..

Billy and Dee were like a rebound relationship. Their world, their families destroyed in a day. They used each other to get through that very emotional peroid. Unfortunately, Dee's feelings didn't last. (I like slutty Dee!!!! Nice!!!!)

Dee looked hot in this one. And it was galliant of Billy to save her life and lose his in the process. Now Dee is bound to Apollo because in a way it was her being there with Apollo that cost Billy his life. And that means Starbuck is farther away from Apollo.

Anyone else think the only thing Sharon cares about is having that baby? As soon as she does she'll back-stab the whole lot of them. Now with Lucy Lawless we know of how many, 7 cylons? Any guesses on who the rest can be? I still wonder if Gaius isn't one, with a super mind-frak wammy in his head not letting him realize it.

What a crappy episode! The whole Billy/Dee/Apollo stuff made no sense at all. Then, to completely screw things up, poor Billy is shot to death. :rolleyes: And Starbuck... She looked like a rookie trying to free those hostages. :o

Yep, I definitely don't like the direction BSG is taking. Portraying human flaws can be a great asset to a TV show if done the right way. That's clearly not the case with BSG.