Which trek was ur fav

jhug666

Well

Being a member of the "older generation" I don't think the original series can be beaten because "At the time" it was brilliant! However compare it with the other series it looks terrible. My fav is voyager because of Jeri Ryan but remember none would exist without the Shatners of this world, thet's what created the interest.

Pip

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine that if they'd had 7 years' date=' they would have fully explored the whole crew. Unfortunately, they did not.[/quote']

hmm...i'd expect by that time there would have been some kind of change to the cast - maybe Travis leaves and another crew member is added. But yeah i think more time could have developed Hoshi and Travis...

There are far too many "fans" out there who's opinion should be treated with care, some of which have posted on this thread. How you can draw up a list and not include the original series is beyond me. Even if it is not your favourite, it must at least be on the list, because with out it, there would be no TNG, DS9, VOY, Animated Series, Enterprise or movies. Thus to simply discount it is just plain wrong.

If you have not seen it, you have no excuse, get your self onto the torrent site, and download them now. I did, and am currently re-watching and enjoying immensely TOS.

My list runs: 1. DS9 2. Movies 3. TNG 4. TOS 5. VOY 6. ENT 7. TAS (simply because I haven't seen them all)

As for:

1. DS9

2. VOY

the rest i dont care

There's something wrong with you -have you even watched them in their entirety?

you can't beat TOS.... okay the storylines may seem basic now but the comradary made up for it :)

DS9!!!!!!!!!!

all the way as many others i didn't like this at first but after dl it & watching i think it is the best ST out there!!!

voy next in line tng & ent.... (both were very good, at the mo i'm watching tng se2 and i can say only a few eps were any good so far, voy on the other hand loved it all the way!!!! )

though i admit i haven't watched many of ent, i'll prob end up liking that too :)

i picked ds9 cause after watching the whole series I could gladly put the first ep into my player & watch it over again..& enjoy it.. though i havent yet cause i wanna forget most of the story line first so when i watch it again it would be kinda new..i hope.. this may take years so i hope i hold out !! ;)

i dont think you can really say that for tng or voy...????

1. DS9

2. VOY

the rest i dont care

well that's his opinion - but i think TNG was worthy of mention... :rolleyes:

You can not particularly enjoy a series, but to just not care? Maybe they meant that, but bad grammar may have mislead me slightly. Also see my post/rant about TOS above.

There are far too many "fans" out there who's opinion should be treated with care, some of which have posted on this thread. How you can draw up a list and not include the original series is beyond me. Even if it is not your favourite, it must at least be on the list, because with out it, there would be no TNG, DS9, VOY, Animated Series, Enterprise or movies. Thus to simply discount it is just plain wrong.

If you have not seen it, you have no excuse, get your self onto the torrent site, and download them now. I did, and am currently re-watching and enjoying immensely TOS.

My list runs: 1. DS9 2. Movies 3. TNG 4. TOS 5. VOY 6. ENT 7. TAS (simply because I haven't seen them all)

As for:

1. DS9

2. VOY

the rest i dont care

You don't have to have seen TOS to like the others... For me it just looks too old and not serious enough.. The special effects are simply shit.... Maybe the stories are nice, but i just can't stand it at all....

As for:

1. DS9

2. VOY

the rest i dont care

You don't have to have seen TOS to like the others... For me it just looks too old and not serious enough.. The special effects are simply ####.... Maybe the stories are nice, but i just can't stand it at all....

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek Fan and say that you don't have to watch TOS to watch all the others -it is fundamentally the most important of the Trek series. No TOS=No TNG=No DS9 etc, in the same way that the release of A New Hope was directly responsible for the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, without it, we'd have had Star Trek II, a new series based on Kirk's 2nd 5 year mission. Instead, we got the films, which set up the marketplace for TNG etc..

And of course it looks old -it's 40 years old in September! Take this into account and the special effects are pretty good for a TV series that didn't even have enough money for a set for the shuttlecraft (that's why the transporter was invented).

Some of the stories are some of the best written in Trek ever! See: Amok Time (ok, the sets are bad, but the story is great), Doomsday Machine, Assignment Earth, City on the Edge of Forever (one of the all time classic tv episodes of anything ever, even if it does have Joan Collins in), The Return of the Archons, Wolf in the Fold and so on..

Even the best written TNG episodes can't match these!

The only thing that TOS lacks, is story arcs, which is why I like DS9, but episode on episode for writing TOS wins.

I've gotta say it's DS9 for me! I've been an avid Star Trek fan for as long as I can remember and as much as I loved TOS, TNG and VOY as a kid and re-watching it I'm completely engrossed by DS9, it's long-running story arks, it's huge array of recurring characters and it's build up, right from season 1 to it's brilliant finale. I have yet to watch through Enterprise which I intend to do but I sincerely doubt from what I've heard and read about it that it will even compare to DS9. And I completely agree that TOS is a must for anyone who calls themselves a Star Trek fan! It is, as has been said, the birthplace of it. Sure bad FX and some ropey acting but some truely genius storylines that are the source of everything we've come to enjoy of Trek in the years after!

As for:

1. DS9

2. VOY

the rest i dont care

You don't have to have seen TOS to like the others... For me it just looks too old and not serious enough.. The special effects are simply ####.... Maybe the stories are nice, but i just can't stand it at all....

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek Fan and say that you don't have to watch TOS to watch all the others -it is fundamentally the most important of the Trek series. No TOS=No TNG=No DS9 etc, in the same way that the release of A New Hope was directly responsible for the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, without it, we'd have had Star Trek II, a new series based on Kirk's 2nd 5 year mission. Instead, we got the films, which set up the marketplace for TNG etc..

And of course it looks old -it's 40 years old in September! Take this into account and the special effects are pretty good for a TV series that didn't even have enough money for a set for the shuttlecraft (that's why the transporter was invented).

Some of the stories are some of the best written in Trek ever! See: Amok Time (ok, the sets are bad, but the story is great), Doomsday Machine, Assignment Earth, City on the Edge of Forever (one of the all time classic tv episodes of anything ever, even if it does have Joan Collins in), The Return of the Archons, Wolf in the Fold and so on..

Even the best written TNG episodes can't match these!

The only thing that TOS lacks, is story arcs, which is why I like DS9, but episode on episode for writing TOS wins.

Well i don't agree, on having to see them... I'm not a Star Trek fan in that way or that much then i guess.. Like some people remember all episodes or know all the names, i don't... Maybe your right on the stories being great, but i just can't stand the way it looks... (i already had problems with TNG's first season) I can't take it serious... Also the acting seems so old... Some people like Frankenstein because of it simply being a classic and good for its time... But im not from that time... Even if its the birthplace for the newer shows, it isn't necessary to watch it to understand the present...

TOS: it's a kitschy camp trip to watch. It's like a fascinating historical document that borders on the banal. It's like a traffic accident: it's quite horrible but you can't take your eyes away.

TNG: oh my god, did we really love this at one time? My how time changes things. I recently watched a bunch of eps for the first time in 7 years. including many favorites (The Most Toys, The Inner Light, Tin Man, BOBW) and every single one of them seemed shallow and pretentious. I could take almost none of it seriously. It is really really sad how really really bad this show seems now.

For my TV library it's RIP NCC 1701-D.

Voyager: quite a lot of fun. Carries on the traditions of Trek, takes the best ideas of the previous series and gives us some new stories. So what if approx 25% of the episodes are crap: it's entertaining crap!

Enterprise: I still don't get it. I suppose it is entertaining enough, but there doesnt seem to be any spark (for me.)

DS9: I am glad to see the majority of comments agree with MY truth: that Deep Space Nine is/was a most excellent series, Trek or otherwise. It stands the test of time, with interesting characters and a 7 year story arc. Certainly there are less than stellar eps (about 3 a season on average) but even they are worth watching.

Several folks have commented on Sisko/Brooks. Since the show premiered he has bugged me. I think it comes down to the fact that Brooks is quite weird himself, and wasn't always sure how Sisko should be portrayed. The uncertainty of the writers as to who Sisko was going to be hindered the portrayal in the first season and a half (or so.) But in the end I like who Sisko is and I get what he's about. The man is just kind of odd, and it shows! After all he was the divine love-child of some pretty far-out aliens. It's ain't easy being an Emissary!

For downright pathetic acting/character development you only have to look to Philip Anglim as Vedek Bariel. Ugh: was he ever sincere or believable? That kind of acting wouldn't get you into the grammar school nativity. Glad he got kiilled off so soon - what a wimp!

Favorite characters in DS9: Quark (of course), Damar (always had the hots for him), Weyoun and Vedek/Kai Winn (the evil bitch we love to hate.)

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek Fan and say that you don't have to watch TOS to watch all the others -it is fundamentally the most important of the Trek series.

Bollocks. I am not the first to say that (in so many words) and certainly won't be the last. Each series stands on its own and can have fans that embrace the Star Trek mythos without having to have watched all or even any of the others IMO.

I am a long time Doctor Who fan, and to suggest that no one today can call themselves a DW fan without having watched William Hartnell would be downright absurd!

THIS IS MY FIRST POST! Hope you liked it.

Be seeing you.

You cannot call yourself a Star Trek Fan and say that you don't have to watch TOS to watch all the others -it is fundamentally the most important of the Trek series.

Bollocks. I am not the first to say that (in so many words) and certainly won't be the last. Each series stands on its own and can have fans that embrace the Star Trek mythos without having to have watched all or even any of the others IMO.

I am a long time Doctor Who fan, and to suggest that no one today can call themselves a DW fan without having watched William Hartnell would be downright absurd!

THIS IS MY FIRST POST! Hope you liked it.

Be seeing you.

welcome to Niteshdw's! :) though you may wish to read the posting rules... :rolleyes:

but i will say that there really wasn't anything about Sisko that i found 'wierd' or anything like that - he was just a strong actor...in my opinion...

Well, here's my list:

TOS: Grew up watching it, and loved it.

TNG: While season 1 was basicly a rehash of TOS, they found their own way by the end of season 2

Voyager: Lost in space, cut off from the Federation. Excellent stuff

TAS: Animation stunk, as did the sound effects, but better than the others

DS9: Rates slightly higher than bread mold for entertainment value for me

Enterprise: doesn't even rate paint drying for entertainment value.

:stare:

Okay, I just finished watching the first season of DS9, and I couldn't WAIT to delete it from my hard drive. I'm sorry, I just did NOT enjoy it, and some of the episodes I had to watch in fast-forward click because I was REALLY not enjoying them. You HAVE to tell me that it IS going to get better, PLEASE! :stare:

I know a LOT of people list DS9 as their favorite, so I'm TRYING to be open minded about this and HOPE it gets better after season one. I'm also trying to figure out WHY it displeases me SO much. Basically it comes down to the fact that I just can NOT stand most of the characters. I also REALLY dislike the whole Bajorin religious/rebel thing. Kira needs to get some SERIOUS therapy to get that HUGE chip off her shoulder. I'm already sick of listening to her go ON and ON about "back when I was a Bajorin freedom fighter" stuff.

O'Brian was just never an important character for me; Odo is kind of cool; I actually DO love Quark; Dax - no real opinion one way or the other; Bashir - BLOW him out an airlock! As far as Sisco goes, there's "something" about him that I never really liked, and I think it was his tone of voice. It always seemed like communicating through a drunken, drugged haze through melted marshmellow. What does THAT mean? I have absolutely NO idea! It could also be that he just looks a little TOO much like my ex-boyfriend. :cyclops:

I'm GOING to keep on pushing myself to watch the seires through on YOUR opinions because so many people say they enjoyed the Dominion war saga. I sure DO hope it's worth it. Hmm, maybe what I need to make it go down better is to mix in an episode of VOYAGER inbetween each viewing of an episode of DS9. Kind of like "A spoon full of sugar..." ;)

(trying v hard not to swear!)

My point was that on the posts in this thread, a number of people have posted their favourite Star Trek Series in a ranking system, completely ignoring the original series, simply because it was "old" and "had bad FX" (or some such nonsense), and indicating that they had not watched the original series.

If you want to have an opinion on something, you should at least have done some research. Watching 10 minutes of TOS and then stating that you thought that the FX were bad and that it wasn't worth watching, is not research. If you'd have done that with any of the other Trek series, you could just have easily caught a bad episode (and there are a few).

My definition of being a fan is not that you have to particularly know every episode or be able to quote every line, and tell somebody what colour Worf's pyjamas are, or anything like that. But, you should have an appreciation of the various incarnations of the mythos, and should attempt to watch it, such that you can understand the later incarnations, even if you only watch it once.

As to the Doctor Who comment; I watch Dr Who if it's on the TV, whatever series happens to be showing, but I don't particularly consider myself a fan, because I am not too bothered about watching all the episodes etc, but if I was, I would want to watch all the canon material, before making statements about it on the internet. My opinion on who the best Doctor is invalid, and I wouldn't even start to speculate, simply because I have only seen 6 of the doctors (Baker, Eccleston, Tennant, Davidson, McCoy, Pertwee), and haven't seen all the episodes.

Thus, in the same way, how can you rank the Trek Series, if you haven't seen them all.

(deep breath!)

Well i have seen 'some' TOS and i have seen the older trek movies but they really can't compare to DS9 or TNG - (although even the older seasons of TNG can get a bit dull). I don't know - I'm not saying this because i think the battles are good in DS9 or anything - because i like the slower episodes as well. There's just somthing about DS9 and Voyager and TNG that keeps you entertained even when it's just a couple of the crewmembers have a conversation - TOS actually got boring at times...

Well i have seen 'some' TOS and i have seen the older trek movies but they really can't compare to DS9 or TNG - (although even the older seasons of TNG can get a bit dull). I don't know - I'm not saying this because i think the battles are good in DS9 or anything - because i like the slower episodes as well. There's just somthing about DS9 and Voyager and TNG that keeps you entertained even when it's just a couple of the crewmembers have a conversation - TOS actually got boring at times...

At least you have watch 'some' of TOS, and can say that you didn't like it because x& y etc.. It's these people who come on here and say TOS was crap because blah, blah, blah etc, and then it turns out that they haven't watched anything except DS9 S6 & 7.

But, I urge you to watch more TOS! Most of the beginning of S2 is some of the best writing you will ever see, ie: "The Doomsday Machine," "Amok Time," "Wolf in the Fold," and the S1 episode "City on the Edge of Forever" is an all-time classic.