Are we real...

MrDad

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman†stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

So...we are in a matrix so to speak? Scarey thought. How would we know? What could we do about it?

Well, I needed something to keep my mind occupied today...

c4 :thinking:

What if we were in a matrix within a matrix? Sort of a puzzle wrapped inside another one, like a backup safety ;o

*shrug* the whole "it could all be a dream" thing has been thought over for generations, it's possible but then again we could end up like the ending of Men in Black; our universe is but a simple marble amongst hundreds of other universes also contained in marbles all being used in a game of marbles by one giant alien o_O

So...we are in a matrix so to speak? Scarey thought. How would we know? What could we do about it?

Well, I needed something to keep my mind occupied today...

c4 :thinking:

I have a feeling I have better things to do, as soon as I figure out what they are, or what 'they' want me to think they are. ;)

i've seen several programmes on this theory that we are all in a computer simulation. At the end of the day we wont ever find out because any research into this theory would just be computer simulated research. if we are in a simulation then we cant do anything about it!

we might all be characters in someones program and maybe when someone dies in this world someone else actually presses the 'delete character' button on their pc. what a thought! :stare:

There is a whole school of philosophy that claims that nothing exists outside our minds. That we simulate everything within our brains (if it is indeed a brain, that part could also be a simulation) and that nothing else is real. I mean, there's no way to truly know that anything IS real outside our own perception of the world. We are all ultimately alone within our own minds after all and as far as we know for certain, nothing is real except ourselves.

It's an interesting theory, but if I delve to deep into philosophical obscurities I get a headache. It must be some sort of safeguard. :)