pc shuts itself down when playing X3 game!

ashfox

I dont no if this will help because you say this is only happening with one game but anyway couldnt hurt.

Last year I was having a problem where my compter would just freeze it didnt restart by itself though all I did to fix the problem was reseat my videocard (take out put back in) and have not had problems since.

I would do this with ram as well.

i will get out some other games and see if they affect my pc in any way.

What is it about X3 that is so demanding on graphics cards? I have never tried it.

The only game i have found demanding on my computer in any way was Star Wars Knights of the Old Repulblic (both 1 & 2) and it would cause the game to slow down quite considerably - though it would never crash - it is a shame cause that was my favorite game :( however i have recently upgraded my RAM and i'm almost certain that will correct the problem - my laptop didn't have enough RAM to run the game properly...

I'd just ask : What version of X3 are you using ?

Have you applied any of the patches ?

Are you using any of the custom mods?

Have you tried the 1.3.2 Beta that's available on the forum at Egosoft ?

I have the 1.3.2 Beta version of the game.

well STOP Think

P4 3 ghz

bet it's a prescot core

they run at 90c no problem. the fx5900 is a good card only just upgraded mine it's fine for the game

use a good heat paste on your chip but not too much. then get an aeromaster heatsink and fan (about£20) to cool it and your probs should be sorted

you need a 400 watt psu tho cos the graphic card uses a lot and needs it's own feed

well STOP Think

P4 3 ghz

bet it's a prescot core

they run at 90c no problem. the fx5900 is a good card only just upgraded mine it's fine for the game

use a good heat paste on your chip but not too much. then get an aeromaster heatsink and fan (about£20) to cool it and your probs should be sorted

you need a 400 watt psu tho cos the graphic card uses a lot and needs it's own feed

ok thanks for the help

did you read my post?

I suggested it may be the processor over heating ant a quick solution to find out if it is. Try cleaning your pc and keeping the side off before you replace your heatsink. and if your are going to buy a new heatsink for your processor then buy a artic cooling freezer 7 pro that is the best air cooling system for a p4. and it will cost around £20.26 from www.vadim.co.uk and if you stay in the usa it should be cheaper. But try cleaning your heatsink and keeping the side off you case first as that will tell you if anything is overheating.

oh and if you are looking for a good heat paste then artic silver is the way to go just make sure and only use a blob the size of a grain of rice then stick your new heat sink on leave for a min with the pc turned off then remove the heat sink and clean it the put the heat sink back on.

Try F.E.A.R it requires a hell of a lot of graphics i have a 6200 but which is not power hungry and i only have a 350w psu same ram and same audio card and i can play x3 fine but def not on max though to laggy, i'd say card is overheating, before crash have you noticed any artifacts ie. (parts missing or dissapearing) going wrong ingame as thats usually a way of telling if overheating also do you have any other fans inside your case if not buy a 120mm and place on rear it'll keep everything nice and cool and cheap £5

did you read my post?

I suggested it may be the processor over heating ant a quick solution to find out if it is. Try cleaning your pc and keeping the side off before you replace your heatsink. and if your are going to buy a new heatsink for your processor then buy a artic cooling freezer 7 pro that is the best air cooling system for a p4. and it will cost around £20.26 from www.vadim.co.uk and if you stay in the usa it should be cheaper. But try cleaning your heatsink and keeping the side off you case first as that will tell you if anything is overheating.

ok thanks for the tip. i already have taken the side off my pc.

Try F.E.A.R it requires a hell of a lot of graphics i have a 6200 but which is not power hungry and i only have a 350w psu same ram and same audio card and i can play x3 fine but def not on max though to laggy' date=' i'd say card is overheating, before crash have you noticed any artifacts ie. (parts missing or dissapearing) going wrong ingame as thats usually a way of telling if overheating also do you have any other fans inside your case if not buy a 120mm and place on rear it'll keep everything nice and cool and cheap £5[/quote']

no there weren't any artifacts. the game just froze for about 1 second and then the pc shut down. it doesnt even come up with the blue xp screen that says 'saving settings' and 'shutting down'. the screen just goes black and switches off.

Edit: actually i just played the game again and i noticed something strange. the screen slowly turned to a white colour. its hard to describe but white blobs appeared and eventually took up the whole screen. it only lasted a few seconds though.

no there weren't any artifacts. the game just froze for about 1 second and then the pc shut down. it doesnt even come up with the blue xp screen that says 'saving settings' and 'shutting down'. the screen just goes black and switches off.

Edit: actually i just played the game again and i noticed something strange. the screen slowly turned to a white colour. its hard to describe but white blobs appeared and eventually took up the whole screen. it only lasted a few seconds though.

It'd be pretty hard to blame THAT on your processor. Are you particularly interested in actually narrowing it down to see what the problem is?

It'd be pretty hard to blame THAT on your processor. Are you particularly interested in actually narrowing it down to see what the problem is?

what do you mean im i interested in narrowing it down to see what the problem is. of course i am, thats why im posting here to see what other people think it might be and if they have any ideas then ill try them out!! ive also tested and checked the temperature of my hardware using several programs and everything checks out ok.

I was just playing a game today and it overheated my laptop - however instead of shutting down - it just stopped the game and quitted to the desktop.... It then gave me an error message saying the i either have a virus, hardware has overheated or somthing like that and i'm almost certain it wasn't the virus - and my laptop was running very hot at the time.... not sure if that's of some relevence to you but the problem may be different from what your experiencing...

Sound system: Realtek AC’97 Audio card

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 card

there's your problem, bro. you need to go to start->run->dxdiag

go to the sound tab and set the hardware acceleration to basic.

your comp sounds very similar to mine. same problem. nvidia chipsets are not entireley compatible with the realtek ac 97 codecs. i have the same problem with San Andreas and Sim City 4.

i have run dxdiag and it says on all the tabs at the bottom that everything is fine but i will set the acceleration to basic and see what happens.

Did you even try that, bud? I am quite positive that's the problem.

There are several utilities that can tell you the temps of your CPU' date=' HDD and cards (provided they have that abillity.) Look into that. Google searches for HDD Temp; CPU Temp or Video Card Temp monitors'll show you what you want.[/quote']

Thanks - i did some searching - i found an app that was able to give me 'some' info on my CPU temperature - it was at about 67*C (this is when i'm NOT running a game) but was watching an ep of DS9 on it as well...

Sound system: Realtek AC’97 Audio card

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 card

there's your problem, bro. you need to go to start->run->dxdiag

go to the sound tab and set the hardware acceleration to basic.

your comp sounds very similar to mine. same problem. nvidia chipsets are not entireley compatible with the realtek ac 97 codecs. i have the same problem with San Andreas and Sim City 4.

i have run dxdiag and it says on all the tabs at the bottom that everything is fine but i will set the acceleration to basic and see what happens.

Did you even try that, bud? I am quite positive that's the problem.

Yes i tried it. I have changed my sound acceleration to basic but the problem still occurs.