eDonkey/Razorback

x5315

Raids close file-sharing server

Bulldozer destroying pirated DVDs and CDs, Reuters

The Razorback server held an index of pirated movies and albums

Joint raids by police in Belgium and Switzerland have shut down a popular file-sharing server.

The Razorback2 server was part of the Edonkey file-sharing network and was used by a third of the system's users.

Whole Story

people rave abou eMule and stuff but I found it to always be slow. Someone explained it to me that in order to be able to download after being set into a persons queue, you needed files in your Share directory to actually share (like kazaa or such where such things don't matter). So apon putting some files in there, nothing ever happened for me. Either I stick in some files no one ever wanted or they were too small compared to what I wanted to download. I gave up and just stuck with bittorrent.

Yea but setting it up to download is a pain. The f.a.q's are good for installation and setting up extra servers to connect too but no one points out "you gotta upload X file(s) to download X files(s)". Whereas BT, while slow sometimes, is simple and easy to use.

See that's where we hit a problem, not just uploading but the speed required. I can easily hit 20kB up. My max upload is around 45-50kB up. A typical upload for a normal cable connection. Now with bittorrent, I can easely leave my upload set to around 5kb while I am awake and gaming or watching stuff without it causing packet loss while I continue to download (since your up and down share the same pipe, can't clog one without clogging the other). When I sleep I can turn it on full. eDonkey as you say you need a higher upload to see better downloads. I can't do that when I'm awake, other wise I'll be flooding my own connection. BT, I don't need 20kB or up to see a decent download speed.

Well so far that's not what the others are saying. I'm not saying you are wrong or lying, I just know whatever eMule/Donkey requires to easy-to-use usage like BT or even Usenet, is a little more than most people (and I) are willing to work through for mp3 or even a divx movie.