The Facts

S0V13T

I think you made the good (safe) choice here, but I got a weird feeling about this one...

In the MPAA press release, they say that they filed the lawsuit against niteshadow.com, not niteshdw.com (an error in an official press release???). Plus, niteshadow.com domain exist since 2000 and seem to be down (showing control panel defautlt page). Plus, you still haven't receive any legal convocation. Downside, website description mostly match niteshdw.com.

I'm just hoping for you that they are really suing niteshadow.com and not you :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i respect nite's decesion although i do not totally agree with it

but why where the forums discussing the general bittorrent technology closed down

i mean it makes sense to close the forums discussing certain torrents that were released here, but a forum for general bittorrent discussion isnt that just taking it a l ittle over thew top.

anyway i hope that that forum hasn't been deleted and you guys would bring it back becvause it had some very good discussions.

since niteshdw isn't running the tracker anymore and all those people are still willing to share the files, is there any chance of anyone just merging the tracker with another one and letting the other trackers out there (like demonoid.com) take the tracker responsibility.

I don't get the american justice system, it should be illegal :)

If you can win an case you should have every opportunitiy to win it. Poor people should be given money to hire an lawyer, and other costs should be as low as possible (Not above $1000). Also if you win, the losing party should pay all the costs of the lawsuit..... (but this depends on the lawsuit)

It is rediculous to be unable to proceed with an case because of an lack of money.

since niteshdw isn't running the tracker anymore and all those people are still willing to share the files' date=' is there any chance of anyone just merging the tracker with another one and letting the other trackers out there . . . take the tracker responsibility.[/quote']

Well, it seems to me that people who want to go find other trackers are free to do so, but that's their choice, and I don't think it has anything to do with us. Remember, the files are not stored by the tracker; so, there's nothing to merge, really, not that merging is an option, which I'd guess it isn't.

It is rediculous to be unable to proceed with an case because of an lack of money.

I doubt it's only the money. Lawsuits are hugely time comsuming and emotionally draining, and what if you lose, which, if you're personally going up against some big, rich mega-organization that can afford all the best lawyers, is quite likely. Would you bet your family's health, financial stability, peace of mind, and happiness on such a thing?

I know that in this situation, I personally would not, and I don't even have a family. If it was a life-and-death issue, I might, but I don't think that's the case here.

Besides, there are those who are well equipped to fight this battle who are fighting it. So, in my humble opinion, the wisest course is the one that's been choosen: to retire and save your aircraft, wait and see how far the big guns get, and hope for the best.

Well' date=' it seems to me that people who want to go find other trackers can do so, but that's their choice, and I don't think it has anything to do with us. Remember, the files are not stored by the tracker; so, there's nothing to merge, really, not that merging is an option, which I'd guess it isn't.[/quote']

I can't find any of the TOS valefor stuff being tracked anywhere else and that's what I'm after. I'd be willing to unextract the old DS9 niteshdw files i have in storage and seed for a while to get the ball rolling on that front... but someone needs to get these things tracked on other servers (i don't know how to start one, but i know how to join in)

I doubt it's only the money. Lawsuits are hugely time comsuming and emotionally draining, and what if you lose, which, if you're personally going up against some big, rich mega-organization that can afford all the best lawyers, is quite likely. Would you bet your family's health, financial stability, peace of mind, and happiness on such a thing?

I know that in this situation, I personally would not, and I don't even have a family. If it was a life-and-death issue, I might, but I don't think that's the case here.

Besides, there are those who are well equipped to fight this battle who are fighting it. So, in my humble opinion, the wisest course is the one that's been choosen: to retire and save your aircraft, wait and see how far the big guns get, and hope for the best.

Of course it depends, but it should be as easy as possible to win an lawsuit (money-wise) and if you lose it you should be financially ruined (thnx to the court costs I mean)...

I can't find any of the TOS valefor stuff being tracked anywhere else and that's what I'm after. . . . (i don't know how to start one' date=' but i know how to join in)[/quote']

Well then, I guess you'd better educate yourself and do some private networking. I suspect these things will pop up again elsewhere, once all the screaming and shouting has died down, but I think it's game over around here. If I could help, I would, but I only have dialup anyway, and probably know even less about this technical stuff than you.

Of course it depends' date=' but it should be as easy as possible to win an lawsuit (money-wise) and if you lose it you should be financially ruined (thnx to the court costs I mean)... [/quote']

If it were easy everyone would do it, and as I understand it, the courts are already backlogged to the hilt with frivilous lawsuits by rich people who seem to have nothing better to do.

And, yes, if you lose you are financially ruined, which if you have a family, or even if you don't, is not something you want to have to go through.

Come on folks, we're talking about risking personal disaster over TV shows. As someone once said (more or less), it's good to have some causes for which one is willing to go to the wall, but it's best to limit those to a vital few, and in my humble opinion, this is not one of them.

(If you disagree, by all means, go join the party of those who are getting involved.)

Of course it depends' date=' but it should be as easy as possible to win an lawsuit (money-wise) and if you lose it you should be financially ruined (thnx to the court costs I mean)... [/quote']

If it were easy everyone would do it, and as I understand it, the courts are already backlogged to the hilt with frivilous lawsuits by rich people who seem to have nothing better to do. involved.)

Well most people, are not willing to pay money to something that is useless and doesn't achieve anything... So It would be really stupid to sue your cat because it will only cost you money and won't achieve anything...

I'm not saying it should be free, unless you win of course and the other party is totally wrong and stupid. I'm only saying that you should be able to pay your defense even if you lose.

This system actually works... It's been tested again and again in dutch courts....

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said ad nauseum, but I feel compelled to do it anyway. Besides, if now is not the time for a long-time lurker (as evidenced by my grand total of 2 posts in almost a year) to exit the shadows, when? :o)

Nite, thanks for your hard work and a site of which you, and all members, can be proud. I sincerely hope you continue to lead and nurture the forums, for it's clear that the community will thrive as long as it still has a home. Stay shiny, and take care of your own.

Sov13t, an excellent job of both setting everyone straight and carrying the voice of reason. Regardless of my personal opinions about the current state of things, I support the current action 100%. (As an aside, I never would have guessed that English isn't your native language. Based on your posts, at least, you've got a better grasp than 90% of those who claim to be born-and-bred 'Englishers'.)

To all my fellow forum members. . .sad as it may be to admit it, our best option at this point is to hope that those who know better and are more well-equipped to battle within the arena of law can, someday, convince the courts of the lunacy being perpetuated by the M*** and the R*** in their current actions. When that day comes, the laws of the land will change to allow a common-sense solution that protects the right for creators/owners of content to be financially successful AND allows the end users of that content to enjoy it without going through something akin to a street mugging at the hands of the 'M and R Juggernaut'.

In the words of a wise Denobulan doctor. . ."Optimism, Captain!!"

Thanks FreakyD!

You really spoke your mind, and I've been compelled to as well. It is interesting to note, that Napster caused an 'illegal download' contraversy, and it caused the industry to take notice of the money opportunity they were missing, and legal pay sites for music and MP3s were born.

Following that model, it is not out of the realm of possibility that the MP@@ feels the same way, and intends to accomplish the same thing, the same way.

Food for thought.