Starship Troopers

str82u

Well, bear in mind that the book itself was a very much more political and cerebral treatise than the KILL BUGS of the first film... that and the fact that the bugs in the book are actually shown as capable and intelligent in terms of technology, versus the Zerg idea in both the films and the CGI show.

The CGI show was - for what its worth - actually pretty decent... although they did some pretty stupid things. Like imply that bugs could reproduce about a billion times faster than they could be killed... And then they magically take a planet and you're left scratching your head and wondering just how they managed that.

Still, although the CGI was sometimes unforgivable it was a generally enjoyable series. It's a shame that they axed it... and I think that it shows you can do more mature and serious things with CGI and that it doesn't constantly have to be cutesy wutesy.

Hey' date=' imo as trashy sci fi entertainment, both of the films were ok. If you want art check out kurosawa or someone like that :) this was a hollywood effort after all and hollywood movies arent renowned for their depth.............[/quote']

Ditto. Neither was Oscar caliber. But as far as good "bad" Sci-fi goes, both were a bit of mindless fun. :)

Yeah, I think people sometimes expect too much from Hollywood cinema! Its a given most of the time that its gonna be transient cheese. Folks who want serious or quality cinema should look further afield, its a big world out there, and there are some very cool things happening. When ever I go into the cinema to watch a hollywood sci fi or horror movie (avp for example), I have expectations of being entertained in a mindless way, and not challenged or astonished. Its lazy cinema for the most part.

Of course there are a few memorable exceptions, such as the matrix trilogy, episode 3, kill bill etc, but thats just my personal taste :)

• 2 weeks later...

damn oh to be a google related death lol beats bein killed by a bug anyday!! guess the series hasnt been shown here in the uk will have to look for it and yep the sequel sucked big time glad i didnt buy it like the first one.

Damn i missed that :( i dont have cable now either, as i tend to spend my time in front of the pc rather than the TV. I find this a better option as it does not close down the mind in the same way as staring at the gogglebox for x amount of hours a day. Tho i must say some internet activities are possibly more mindnumbing like watching progress bars which i can spend more time doing than i ever did watching tv lol