Republican screw-up

TetsuoShima

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- A computer disk that the Minnesota Republican Party prepared to support a ban on gay marriage has another purpose: gathering data on the politics of the people who view it.

And that's stirred up a technological tempest on the Internet and among Democrats who say the disk will improperly gather data from people who run it on their computers. Privacy experts say they're concerned that the GOP won't adequately warn users that it's collecting the data, and they worry where the information will end up.

For the complete acticle:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/02/AR2006030201370.html?referrer=email

I hope you've all got good firewalls installed to stop this kind of traffic on your computer... :)

sounds like spyware or something similer to me, hual them before the courts and expose them for the trash that they are. THis is coming from who supports the UK equivilant of the republican party, at least the Tory's don't try this underhand tactic to get votes. For the most part they are hounrable, decent men who fight elections fairly. - at least in the political sense of the word.

Well, as far as I understood it, it doesn't install anything, but that doesn't stop it from sending over some answers to questions posed with a unique sender ID that can be traced back to the exact person who answered it, without that person actually knowing that he was freely offering this information. They did state that it would be indicated in the final release that the anwers would be transmitted 'home', but that does leave me with the question if they really intended to do that or if they're just doing it now, because somebody found out about it... hmm, paranoia... :)

Well' date=' Sony is getting sued for similar things. Maybe we'll see them get nailed too.[/quote']

Yes, but Sony doesn't learn from their mistakes. They do it all the time. I don't think Sony is afraid of getting in trouble. Who dareth cross the almighty Sony?

Makes me sad to see the GOP in the state it is today. I identify with the right wing, libertarian, and I don't identify with most of the party as it stands now. Sad.

I am British, and this sort of thing just isn't an issue here, and for that I'm thankful.