uTorrent News

StitchInTime

uTorrent Sign Six Month PeerFactor Agreement

March 4, 2006

Michael Ingram

According to a statement by PeerFactor, the lead developer of µTorrent, Ludvig Strigeus, has agreed to help develop “new content distribution applications on the Webâ€ÂÂ.

The developer has signed a contract with PeerFactor for an initial six month evaluation period.

Since the public release of uTorrent in September, the client has risen to the number one spot on Slyck’s list of BitTorrent clients for Windows, as voted by users. This is mostly due to the tiny memory usage, which is around 6MB, compared to second most popular, Azureus, which is typically over 70MB. Yet uTorrent remains feature-rich.

By developing the PeerFactor software, which uses the BitTorrent protocol, Strigeus will be entitled to a share of any advertising revenue generated by the final product.

This move into the authorised distribution market is a step away from anti-P2P technology for PeerFactor, which was a subsidiary of French anti-piracy group RetSpan. The two companies became independent companies six months ago.

PeerFactor shot to notoriety in April 2004 by giving financial rewards to file sharers for spreading fake files and directing downloaders to authorised download sites.

News that µTorrent are selling their software will fuel speculation as to why uTorrent has remained close source, which is extremely uncommon for BitTorrent clients.

This is not of concern to Strigeus, who told Slyck News, “This doesn't affect µTorrent, it's just a side project. If people like to be paranoid, I won't stop them.â€ÂÂ

Strigeus denies that he is helping PeerFactor fight the P2P community by providing the coding.

“The agreement says that the software will be used to distribute legal content over the internet. In my understanding, everything in our agreement says that it will be used for downloading legal content,†Strigeus told Slyck News.

Although Strigeus rejects that he knew PeerFactor’s history of attacking and disrupting P2P networks, he defends working with the company now he does know.

“Just because I sell cleaning services to Microsoft doesn't mean I like Windows.â€ÂÂ

Update: Please note there is a correction to this article. It was originally reported that PeerFactor is a subsidiary of RetSpan. The two companies parted ways six months ago.

PeerFactor deny ever being involved in anti-P2P operations, despite the reports to the contrary.

“We do not distribute any fake file over P2P, but only useful content,†Frenchman Richard Rodrigues, head of PeerFactor told Slyck. “We have never distributed fakes file (unreadable) because no user would […] want to distribute [them]."

http://slyck.com/news.php?story=1117

See also, the discussion on this at:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=7038

PeerFactor invents 'peer-against-peer' networks

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/05062004h.php

RetSpan Seeks to Have SuprNova Eliminated

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=602

I have to admit I stopped reading when I got to the part where it mentions how PeerFactor planted fake bogus files amongst shared files.

Thats pretty much all I will ever need to know about them as a company (not uTorrent just PeerFactor).

Hopefully this won't jepardize uTorrent as a great bittorrent client.

Come on everyone. What's the big deal?

It's not like this will affect µTorrent. We did not sign a deal about µTorrent, we signed a deal that I will provide them with code that implements the Bittorrent protocol. This code will be used in an ad supported file distribution system webmasters can use to publish big content.

This is totally separate from the freeware program named µTorrent. µTorrent will not be affected in any way, and I would never implement any kind of retspan technology into this fine program, or whatever you conspiracy analysists are thinking.

I need a way to get an income. My primary motivation for working on µTorrent is that I think it's fun, and my primary goal is to make the best client free of any bloat or intrustive things such as adware or spyware. My second goal is to try and make some money off of it. Hopefully signing a few deals with various file distribution companies will allow me to do exactly that.

However, Goal 1) still has priority over Goal 2), so I would never accept anything that would break the rules in Goal 1).

Nuff said.

/Ludvig

Source

uTorrent 1.5 has just been released. It's supposed to have protocol encryption and peer exchange. I was thinking of running it, but, given the news, I'm not sure anymore. What do you think?

Anyway, until things clear up, I guess I'll do the same as magestorm and just stick with Azureus...

Oh god this issue has made it here, several days to late and after the event has blown over. Azureus uses java the most hideous language ever created. This is what utorrent have to say about the matter...

Recently, µTorrent has been the subject of numerous articles as a result of the contract between µTorrent's sole creator and developer, Ludvig Strigeus ("ludde"), and PeerFactor.

While PeerFactor has been involved in anti-P2P activities in the past, there is a large amount of misinformation being spread about µTorrent, PeerFactor and the nature of the agreement.

* No change has been made to µTorrent as a result of the contract, and no changes will be made in the future. µTorrent contains no anti-P2P component, IP logging or other monitoring as falsely reported by some websites, and is not affiliated with the RIAA or MPAA.

* PeerFactor is no longer associated with RetSpan, and furthermore, Ludvig is in no way affiliated with RetSpan. Ludvig does not "work for RetSpan", nor does he work for PeerFactor.

* The PeerFactor software that Ludvig is associated with is not anti-P2P software, unlike the PeerFactor program run by RetSpan in 2004, now discontinued. The head of PeerFactor states that "we do not distribute any fake file over P2P, but only useful content" (source).

* The PeerFactor agreement does not give PeerFactor access to µTorrent's source code. The only work done by Ludvig for PeerFactor consisted of the development of a single DLL which provides an implementation of BitTorrent for the PeerFactor software. Ludvig is not involved in the development of any other part of PeerFactor.

* PeerFactor's software is going to be used to create a legal downloading service for webmasters to distribute large content more easily, as specified in the contract, nothing else.

* Ludvig remains the only person with access to µTorrent's source code. µTorrent remains closed-source to prevent clones and modifications such as DHT hacks, not to conceal anti-P2P code. µTorrent will not become open-source as a result of the controversy over the agreement.

Please refrain from spreading misinformation about µTorrent. Should you have further concerns about the integrity of the program, please raise them in the µTorrent community forums.

this is the whole fiasco on slyck make up youre own mind.

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20211&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

just out of interest given the choice of 2 pieces of software that do the same thing which one would you choose when the following diffenrences apply.

Java / C++

100M memory usage / 5M memory usage

answer is easy utorrent is the better of the 2

as for protocol encryption this is a mechanism that prevents people (mostly government snoopers) from knowing what it is that you are doing. to use a client without it in this day an age is not a good idea so far utorrent, azureus and bit comet use it.

I have written several posts on this within the slyck forum and personally i like the fact that with utorrent i can watch a file that i have downloaded whilst doing countless other tasks and not have to stop my client running.

This paranoia about luddes intentions is just plain wrong peerfactor is nothing to do with retspan and utorrent is way more reliable than azureus it is so bloated and uses java. that in itself should mean something to anybody who has a gram of intelligence.

Anyhow even if retspan are involved bittorrent architecture will not allow false files. so stop being paranoid move with the times and stop flogging a dead horse.

Please refrain from spreading misinformation about µTorrent. Should you have further concerns about the integrity of the program, please raise them in the µTorrent community forums.

just out of interest given the choice of 2 pieces of software that do the same thing which one would you choose when the following diffenrences apply.

Java / C++

It's all irrelevant to me. The only concern I have is that uTorrent does not work on my machine, but I can't run Azurerus either. My choices are BitComet or BitComet. :rolleyes:

well fair enough dude in these days of hysteria the best thing that can be done is to employ protcol encryption bitComet provides this so use that but if you can use utorrent use that or azureus if that works on ya system either way it will keep the government spies outta ya business which is what matters right now!

Java / C++

It's all irrelevant to me. The only concern I have is that uTorrent does not work on my machine, but I can't run Azurerus either. My choices are BitComet or BitComet. :rolleyes:

Bittornado isn't half bad, it uses less ram than Azureus but can spike CPU usage (especially during rechecks and rehashes). either way it's much better than Bitcomet, which is frowned apon by many many people.

Bittornado isn't half bad' date=' it uses less ram than Azureus but can spike CPU usage (especially during rechecks and rehashes). either way it's much better than Bitcomet, which is frowned apon by many many people.[/quote']

Bittornado crashes my computer, and also loses data when I have to stop a download. Plus, it lacks certain features that I need.

Well, here is my opinion on this.

If you were an anti p2p company, how would you fight p2p networks? Would you bust your butt? Or would you sit there and get a programmer of a top p2p application to make you a "legitimate" software, then turn it into something that distributes false files?

If you said the second option, then you're right.

Well, here is my opinion on this.

If you were an anti p2p company, how would you fight p2p networks? Would you bust your butt? Or would you sit there and get a programmer of a top p2p application to make you a "legitimate" software, then turn it into something that distributes false files?

If you said the second option, then you're right.

They haven't needed a special program to distribute false files so far. What has suddenly changed?

Update: Please note there is a correction to this article. It was originally reported that PeerFactor is a subsidiary of RetSpan. The two companies parted ways six months ago.

PeerFactor deny ever being involved in anti-P2P operations, despite the reports to the contrary.

“We do not distribute any fake file over P2P, but only useful content,†Frenchman Richard Rodrigues, head of PeerFactor told Slyck. “We have never distributed fakes file (unreadable) because no user would […] want to distribute [them]."

Read this interview with Ludde before you demonize him.

Does uTorrent have DHT yet? If not, I'm not switching...

I run Azurerus while playing Sims2 and I have no speed issues. Whatever works, I suppose. :)

Yes uTorrent does have DHT, and Peer Exchange. Its superior in some respects to Azureus, mainly the CPU usage issue, but I thoroughly recommend it. But I still enjoy Az from time to time depending what Im downloading.

Ummm magestorm do you know how bittorrents work?

To put it simply once you have clicked on the torrent and your program starts downloading it, any sections that are invalid, are redownloaded, (something which utorrent is all to keen to let you know btw, and repeated failures lead to the offending IP being banned) this essentially implies that unless the original uploaded torrent file is invalid then the finished download by its nature cannot be corrupted!

Anyone of course can put an 'invalid' torrent onto the torrent network. You do not need any New sophisticated dll made by 'Ludde' to do this or in fact any new technology at all, all you need as an 'invalid' program and any bit torrent program that allows you to create a torrent. This is why most torrent sites have comments.

Of course what is the best torrent program is entirely subjective when the program does all you need it too but personally the following features are what i consider important:-

Multiple torrents

DHT

Peer Exchange

Protocol Encryption

Download torrent from URL

Torrent Creation (so you can send files to your friends among other things)

I personally use utorrent which does all of this as does azureus for that matter.

Oh and when it comes to invalid files always look at the number of seeders/leechers and completed downloads. then follow these simple guidelines:-

If a file has 1 seed and no leeches then it probably is a fake.

If a file has no completed downloads probably a fake.

Lots of Seeds No completed. Prob MPAA or someother group luring you into a trap

Of course these are guidelines it could be that you are the first person to see this torrent.

If this Reply helps one person then it was worth it.

Happy Torrenting :)