Do you overclock?

sloany

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Athlon64 3000+, I overclock the bus to 250mhz, a boost from 1800mhz to 2250mhz. I was running at 270mhz, but I upgraded to dual channel RAM, and the RAM doesn't seem to be able to handle 225mhz DDR... Anyway, I'm still learning how to overclock these modern motherboards. The last board I overclocked used jumpers! The tracker runs on an Athlon 2600+ at base clock speeds, it'll only overclock from 166 to 175mhz FSB, and it puts out a lot of heat, so I just run it at 166mhz.

To the guy with the 150mhz machine, I used to run the tracker on a Cyrix 150+ with 96MB RAM, unfortunately, it couldn't handle the increase in peers. I've had that box since high school, somewhere around 1996, and it still runs!

Nite if you drop the multiplier to 10.5 and run a fsb 200 that should perfectly stable and won`t generate much more heat if any. Just see if your motherboard will allow you to ajust the multiplier.

Just curious, but I thought on the 64 series, a 3000+ would not go above a 9.0 multiplier. I might be way off on that. I know my 3200+ will not go above a 10X multiplier. Goofy 64 stuff. Hmm...

:)

I think you'll find Intel users don't do much O/Cing, it's really an AMD thing these days.

Plus the fact AMD CPU's overclock far better than Intels.

If you plan on overclocking I'd suggest you get yourself WCPUID

so you can see how your progressing as you O/C your system.

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

Another thing is locked multipliers, both Intel & AMD's are locked & have been for a couple years now, so your really stuck with overclocking via your FSB & Vcore.

However AMD's mobile CPU's are the king of overclocking, the most popular & overclockable AMD CPU is the Barton Mobile 2500+ & it's still available for around $85 US

Here's why

What's the difference between a Mobile barton and a regular desktop Barton? The Mobile Barton is a regular Barton that can run at the same speed as a desktop version except it can run at 1.45 Vcore. Those processors that can run at 1.45 Vcore are deemed Mobiles those that can't are desktop versions. The lower vcore allows laptop computers to run cooler. It will also allow for higher overclocks compare to the desktop chip.

The second thing that makes these Mobiles so open to overclocking, is the fact that they're unlocked! You see, AMD laptops use PowerNow technology that throttles down the CPU's mhz to save battery life. If your just surfing around the processor will drop to a low mhz. Start playing a game and up she goes to full CPU power! For all of this to work the CPU has to be unlocked for PowerNow to take advantage of the potential battery life savings.

You can O/C the Barton Mobile 2500+ from it's stock setting of 1.83Ghz up to 2.5Ghz without any trouble, some have gotten it up to 2.7Ghz & even higher with liquid cooling.

Now lets compare

$85 US for the Barton Mobile 2500+ @2.5Ghz overclocked

or

$550 US for a AMD64 FX55 1M 800fsb @2.6Ghz

Which one would you buy??

Good info 6ofpopes. I run intel on all my machines, P3-450 & dual P4-3.6 Never have bothered to over clock at all. I have to build another machine, or two, when I go back to BC, so I think I'l try a barton cpu. system for gaming. But I'll still build another intel anyways.

Yes but alot of motherboards will allow you to ajust the multiplier with out having to reach for a pencil or peice of wire. I have an asus board and it allows me to drop the multiplier in the bios. As for cooling if you are having trouble with the temp inside your case you can lways take the side off and cut more vents into it or cut a section out and use a fine metal mesh to cover the hole if you do that then think about putting some sort of cold cathode lighting inside. You should find that you don`t need as many case fans if any.

Yes but alot of motherboards will allow you to ajust the multiplier with out having to reach for a pencil or peice of wire. I have an asus board and it allows me to drop the multiplier in the bios. As for cooling if you are having trouble with the temp inside your case you can lways take the side off and cut more vents into it or cut a section out and use a fine metal mesh to cover the hole if you do that then think about putting some sort of cold cathode lighting inside. You should find that you don`t need as many case fans if any.

Actually if you download the program I provide the link to you'll find that your multiplier is locked.

The MB supplied programs & 3rd party one's can't change the multilier on CPU's that are locked. So unless you have a Mobile or a older Intel or AMD CPU it isn't really being changed.

Visit some review sites like http://www.xbitlabs.com/ & check out the reviews of CPU's & you'll see what I mean. I'll try to post a couple links later that might explain this better about the locked multipliers, at least better than I can.

With a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz Hyper-threaded process and 1 Gb of Dual Channel RAM I haven't had the need to overclock. I new video card would be nice too.

And its a Dell. I've heard that my computer is goign to fall apart some day but she seems to be holding together quiet well.

Actually if you download the program I provide the link to you'll find that your multiplier is locked.

The MB supplied programs & 3rd party one's can't change the multilier on CPU's that are locked. So unless you have a Mobile or a older Intel or AMD CPU it isn't really being changed.

Visit some review sites like http://www.xbitlabs.com/ & check out the reviews of CPU's & you'll see what I mean. I'll try to post a couple links later that might explain this better about the locked multipliers, at least better than I can.

Unless anyone requests it, I am not going to display pics with this, but like I posted earlier, I am running an AMD 64 3200+(Winchester core, not mobile). I can change my multiplier, but on this processor, you cannot go above a 10X.

Here is the next pics.

Actually 11.0 is the factory set multiplier for your AMD CPU, you can always lower the multiplier but you can't raise it unless you buy a unlocking kit or you already know how to do it without one.

Multiplier 11.0 X FSB 200.45

= Internal clock 2205.00 (actually 2204.95) or 2.205Ghz

If you try raising it past 11.0 nothing will happen even if you use some program & the program says it did raise it. To check just run WCPUID it will still show it at 11.0, the real multiplier value.

No program can raise a locked multiplier above it's factory default, but it can lower the value because those lower values are available.

Here's a good article about the AMD Athlon XP CPU's & how to unlock them.

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/cpu/unlock/index.shtml

Here's another article you might want to read

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20041110142909.html