New ST Series

xalloutwarx

How about using the same formula - namely, women with big boobs in tight outfits???

I know you're upset, so I'll pretend you didn't say that ;)

But yes - I'd say that greed and the formulaic nature of the franchise probably rang the deathknell.

Some good points there Vyperion - I saw Patrick Stewart on TV the other day and apparently he'd been pretty sure that TNG wouldn't last a season. For me - awaits inevitable c4evap response - VOY and the first 2 seasons of pretty much TNG formula... but just not as good.

DS9 was a considerable change from the format of TOS/TNG (well, after "The Jem'Hadar") but then VOY and then ENT went straight back to it. I can only assume that B&B thought to themselves "If it ain't broke..." when in fact there was a gnawing decay.

Anyway, best to abruptly stop this post.

• 2 weeks later...
Since the fanbase is opposed to innovation it would be very difficult. The first thing the fans would do is checking the continuity for errors and looking for misplaced joints on the uniforms - called "nitpicking".

Todays Star Trek fanbase is a bunch of nitpickers like the guy who pointed out 90+ mistakes in "Nemesis". Would you produce another show for such fans? I seriously wouldn't.

perhaps, but i like funding the odd discontinuity and i like nitpicking. its in the job description for a trekkie!:D

im not opposed to innovation but something convicingly new and entertaining need to be thought of. the show was gettin old

.....and please dont let some cruise singer do the soundtrack this time!!!

Lyrics for a Trek theme were definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Also - people nitpicking isn't specific to Trek. Any "cult" show will have those who obsess and note continuity errors etc. etc.

I think that Trek has to innovate or die. Season 4 of ENT was a step in the right direction but I think the problem is that the Trek universe is just so entrenched that people with a new idea would probably be better off going and doing their own thing - like JMS did with B5 - rather than setting it in the Star Trek universe.

Hell, if I was trying to pitch a concept that was new and such, I'd probably want to make sure I didn't associate it with Trek - which has not enjoyed a particularly good reputation for innovation in recent years. That said, there are doubtless hundreds of people who would queue up so they could be involved in Trek. However, my time here has made me think that there probably would be a considerable number of people who would have a kneejerk reaction to anything outside of the format of Federation ship/station.

A new startrek series would be fantastic! The problem with Enterprise was more with the writers then with the fans. There just going to have to bring in some "new blood" to write the episodes. Originality is what's called for, SG1 has the same problem and is doomed to be cancelled because of it. This last season of SG1 was the worst ever. Meanwhile Stargate Atlantis seems to be flourishing. The common ground to be found is THE WRITERS.....The fans will support the shows if they have merit, if not they'll be cancelled.

Ah, thank you katerina. I was starting to think I was just about the only person that saw the terminal state SG-1 has gotten itself into... and I think that new blood is important. I know after almost 200 episodes, I'd be about tapped for ideas.

haha - that Wormhole Extreme ep was so bad :rolleyes: I've deffinetly seen a lack of imagination in these last few eps of SG-1 i've seen (This is season 8 i'm watching right now)

So yeah i agree that new blood is needed to get some good stories going...