Hohoho!

Tenebrae

I was quite surprised to see the MPAA quoting how this would harm parodies. A good portion of today's entertainment, mainly comedy, is churned out by parody. Saturday Night Live, South Park, even late night shows like Conan O'Brien, all use parody quite often to make their audiences laugh. And so far it's all within the law.

I did enjoy the "inexpensive software" arguement. Let's see, what was the last commerical price of Adobe Premiere? Oh somewhere around the price of US$849.00 (direct figure taken from adobe.com). Now maybe by hollywood standards this is "cheap", but from how they describe it in the article, any bootlegger who wants to make an entirely reroduced movie using actors from other movies, can simply run out and pay $900+ for the software and make a movie.

It ain't that simple, honestly. The closest thing I can think of to re-using actors in such a way was the one scene in Forrest Gump, where Tom Hanks "interacts" with President Kennedy. In reality they basically just used old stock news footage of Kennedy and inserted Hanks in. Some video editing magic and it looks "authentic", and mind you Forrest Gump came out what, 10 years ago?

At best, some one who illegally gets such software from the Internet, is still going to need a network of PC's to edit and compile the footage PLUS months if not years of practice & training to pull off a movie that even comes close to being something worth being paid for. Shortened, it's impractical to assume people are going to "ruin" your public image by using your voice or picture in other works, years from now let alone 70.

is that how they amde that eps of DS9 trils and tribbels? that was a great eps btw. oh and of cource the MPAA is gonna go agisnt it' date=' they want more money.[/quote']

The Star Trek eps that used other clips or "Stepped In" compensated the actors for thier performances, and that's fair. I thnik what Newman and the rest are talking about is fair and has been established before. You can't make money off someones image because it belongs to them.

Blame The Three Stooges and Elvis

This started years ago when one of the stooges was broke, died and left his kids with bills. There's literally millions of Stooges items running around but until they passed the law in so many states, you me or anyone could make a t-shirt using the stooges, or anyone else from the past, and keep all the money without paying royalties.

Regardless of the torrent community, which makes no profit, using someone to make money like that is kinda like being a pimp that keeps all the money. I don't believe in censoring or limiting people's creativity, but to do it at someone elses expense or without thier permission is a little shady.