Projectiles or Energy Weapons

Duggie

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the new XM8s they are being created once the Military Approves.

and the picture below i got from Heckler and Koch's site

Hehe, this gun actually looks like a Starfleet standard issue phaser rifle. That's cool!

i think the guys at Heckler and Koch watch star trek too and probably got the design lol

Projectiles inflict more damage, because it leaves a really big hole.

Energy is just a discharge, no external damage.

and you've never seen a tree thats been struck by lightning?

or exploded food in a microwave oven? or radiation burn bictims/

Dependent on the level of energy i think there could be considerable damage

ok here is why projectiles are the way to go .

if you have ever played Star Munchkin you can build up this tremendously powerful weapon of variously named lasers .then when you face the plasmoid level 18 it is immuned to all those lasers .

did not read all the posts but also SG1 showed the value of projectiles when they helped defeat the replicators (also immuned to energy weapons)

as also mentioned the Borg take no time in becoming immuned to energy weapons .

improve the bullets but dont try to use energy you will only get burned in the long run lol

No way you could create a weapon that is capable of striking energy with levels as high as lightning

Energy Weapon Pros:

- You can blast someone's arm off without them dying of blood loss... good for interrogations. (Cauterization is great ^^)

- Their only ammo is energy... no need to carry around bulky ammo belts.

- No recoil! Aiming is easy.

- Depending on output setting, can be useful for other things (cooking food, laser pointer, etc.)

Energy Weapon Cons:

- Depending on the energy weapon, it can be deflected relatively simply with mirrors, magnetic fields, etc.

- You may need to carry around bulky battery belts or a backpack generator.

- Need special facilities and tools to repair electronics if damaged. If you're out on the field, good luck fixing your gun.

Projectile Weapon Pros:

- Weapon shoots small hard things at VERY quick speeds. Forget magnetic fields or mirrors... you need ARMOR to block this stuff, and thick if it's particularly heavy or fast.

- Relatively simple to make ammo for. Just need the proper chemicals, casings, and tips, and voila!

- No electronics to short out or get knocked out by Electromagnetic Pulses.

Projectile Weapon Cons:

- Gotta carry all that ammo -_-'

- impact shock can kill target... bad if you want them alive.

- If you can't make more bullets, you've got a small metal club.

- Useless in high gravity situations... unless you like to pepper the floor with lead ^^'

Choose the weapon for the scenario, basically. If you're in a misty swamp, lazer rifles are probably a really bad idea, for instance ^^

How is it beomcing a club a con :stare:

Depends on the opponent. A club versus a phaser or a loaded gun.

-----

The thing about shield only neutralising energy. Well, in Trek they used shields to keep open a hatch to the Dyson Sphere they encounted. And they use forcefields to block access (eg the brigg), to keep the atmosphere in the ship (no windows remember), and to give substance to holograms.

I personally prefer phasers just for the ethical setting of stun.

Well' date=' if you BOTH have ranged weapons, having your ranged weapon become a club would be a serious disadvantage ^^'[/quote']

I can't believe the thread is this long and no one has mentioned the Stargate SG-1 take on this question...

SG-1's allies, the Asgard, are hundreds of thousands of years ahead of Earth, but with their war against the Replicators (something like kids toys that have gone bezerk and use practically any material they can find to make more of themselves) they have often asked SG-1 for much needed help. Why? The Asgard have advanced to the point where all their weapons are energy based, and the Replicators can quickly adjust to any energy-based attack, and since they are made of modular pieces, they have no good way to quickly adjust to projectile weapons.

The message is don't ever get rid of a tool or forget about a technology, you never know when it will come in handy....

I saw that episode. The Replicators won't touch Earth technology because it isn't advanced enough' date=' but, they'll quite happily assimilate an entire planet leaving only dust?[/quote']

They do want to use earth for raw materials, but earth material doesn't even really make good replicators... see the episode where they took over the submarine.

No way you could create a weapon that is capable of striking energy with levels as high as lightning

tell that to the 1945 population of Hiroshima!

Ohh sorry, they're dead

I know what you mean though, you are talking about infantry weapons, I just used the above as examples of how energy can cause massive physical damage and dont ever say never, a lot of physicists said that about atomic bombs, space travel, etc

saying never is really tempting fate

I saw that episode. The Replicators won't touch Earth technology because it isn't advanced enough' date=' but, they'll quite happily assimilate an entire planet leaving only dust?[/quote']

They do want to use earth for raw materials, but earth material doesn't even really make good replicators... see the episode where they took over the submarine.

I mean they turned that entire planet trapped in the time distorter into replicators. I'd have thought they'd have assimilated that ship when it landed as well. It may be crap technology compared to the Asgard's, but it's much better than using the organic and raw matter of the planet.