Can someone tell me what's the point of a dvd writer?

katerina

well i would much rather use thos sd memory cards! imagine if they were the same price as a dvd? I mean there 2gb 150x write and the size of a doller (even smaller in some cases) but right now i cant aford paying 89 bucks a shot so i have to stick to those dvd's for now.

and hey i do my part for the inviroment....i drive a Suzuki :p

8de9scd.jpg?pfop8VEBFI8kNrPj

well i would much rather use thos sd memory cards! imagine if they were the same price as a dvd? I mean there 2gb 150x write and the size of a doller (even smaller in some cases) but right now i cant aford paying 89 bucks a shot so i have to stick to those dvd's for now.

and hey i do my part for the inviroment....i drive a Suzuki :p

8de9scd.jpg?pfop8VEBFI8kNrPj

Im getting a free one from Micro$oft i'll search for the link maybe the offer is still valid....I doubt it's the size your talking about though...I think it's like a 40 dollar unit which is prob 1/2 that or even less........ If i remember it's 1GB and isnt the write speed similar? Im also getting a free Usb plugin from them you can get alot of free stuff on the web you just have to look around talk to people and most importantly LISTEN when someone tells you about free stuff!

Suzukis are nice what i really really want is a Honda Hybrid!!! :p maybe if im a good girl this year i get one in my Xmas stocking B)......OR just because!!!

i love honda's! and as far as thos little memory cards go, even 500mb would be awsome....there so small and cute :p but yeah as far as a alternet energy car goes, i have another suzuki samurai, and im puting an electric motor in it, im hoping i start a new trend. try to put a noticable dent in the oil industry

Well read my thread in your THREAD about this I saw a wonderful article where a california engineer upped the batteries and is getting 80mpg and more........... with a samurai you could redo the seatin configuration and load alot of batteries if you increased the vehicles suspension vs. weight ratio. My bf drives a range rover and i give him shit everyday about it! Just because he has money doesnt mean he can sacrifice 3 marines a day....BTW i have him on the ropes when I KO him i'll let you know... Lets put it this way im not making his life easy right now. Besides that you should see his stupid boat what a total gashog and the only thing it's used for is his poker parties and heavy drinking which i dont like one bit!

I have a DVD burner but i dont use it much. I tend to download watch and delete but if it is really good i keep it, at a point i need to clear space and this is when i use my burner. I have been environmentally active for over 20 years i dont drive a car i either walk or use public transport ( i used to cycle) i recycle all my waste and use super efficient lighting.

I have a few of them USB sticks one of which is an MP3 player these are great for a lot of stuff and on the non mp3 stick i have 1GB storage so can put a film (in DivX format) onto it.

So as to your initial point Katerina i both agree and disagree. as for plasma TV's they to me are a waste of money, and yes LCD is a more reliable and higher definition solution.

I must point out though that a lot of oil is used in the manufacturing of a Hard Drive and the one oil using expense people tend to overlook is the machinary itself that is needed to produce these component parts.

Also I can back up my HD on 2 DVDs insted of 6 or 8 CDs. I also have the option to make a DVD movie from my home movies or other sources for friends and relatives who have DVD players.

Lol I can backup my harddisks with only 157.44 DVD's.....

But really as I've got only an small and crappy TV (In order to get it working I have to smash it rather hard..) in my room and a big and excellent TV downstairs, so burning an dvd is a lot easier than laying 10 meters off s video cable....

Also I can back up my HD on 2 DVDs insted of 6 or 8 CDs. I also have the option to make a DVD movie from my home movies or other sources for friends and relatives who have DVD players.

Lol I can backup my harddisks with only 157.44 DVD's.....

But really as I've got only an small and crappy TV (In order to get it working I have to smash it rather hard..) in my room and a big and excellent TV downstairs, so burning an dvd is a lot easier than laying 10 meters off s video cable....

why not try a wireless video sender??

iv'e got one with a IR relay so i can use a remote control for my pc... saves ages converting to dvd & burning.....

• 8 months later...

Well I got a 18x DVD burner last yr and I needed it for installing the RC1 of VISTA. Other than that I consolidated 2 CD-R worth of files onto 1 DVD, but haven't done much else. And it seems weird that it barely runs at 12-16x when I bought verbatim(supposedly the best).

It's also annoying that the HD light comes on with the DVD. I've tried all kinds of cable setups (40-80 pin UDMA2-4) and guess it's just because of the damn motherboard. ECS KA3 MVP with an NEC 7170(optiarc).

• 2 weeks later...

Benfit of a dvd writer depends on who is the user, I for one format my drives about every 6 months and is useful for backing up all my camcorder footage over the years, of course not everyone will need one but they are standard in any new pc now and have been for ages. Considering the price of a writer now its hardly going to break the bank and at  least you have that function if you need it in the future.

As a big Dr Who fan (amongst other things) I use DVD-R to backup my old VHS stories, along with custom made BBC style menus to keep things nice in my collection until they get commercially released. Ive still got DVD-s older than 5 years, it all depends on the quality, Verbatim will definitely givce you a better shelf life than your 10-20p per disc non-branded discs will, although Ive stil got some cheap n nasty discs still running well.