Australia even worse than US

TetsuoShima

There are no statistics because the Home Office curently doesn't know anything.

No. There are no statistics GLOBALLY linking ethnicity and crime.

Class & crime yes. Poverty can make people steal, certainly. But thats about the some of it.

Otherwise, its only racist filth who try to blame crime on ethnicity.

Yeh... well now that Little Johnny (& the Conservitive Federal Liberal Party) have taken Uncle Georges advise

and moved all of our (illegal) Immigration Detention centres offshore...

(it's called the Pacific solution: The Government, in return for Money & Aid, built a whole lot of these disgracefull centres on lots of the small Pacific Island Nations..... Pretty much the same as Guantanamo Bay etc.... proving that we can be just like our good friends the USA )

So the Fedral Govt. is no longer responsible for anything that happens to these immigrants.....

...they had to do something to fill in the spin-cycle for the week...

and therefore: Invent new laws to cause a scene.

BTW: John Howard is currently in Canada, where he was met by thousands of Protesters,

Protesting Oz's new Industrial Relations laws.

Has anyone considered that the law is created, in full knowledge that it won't be obeyed, and with no intent to enforce, to keep business happy?

If that were the case, everyone wins.

Steveo how does everybody win? What happens if they decide to prosecute some poor schmo for recording and lending a tv show? Im sorry not everyone WINS! Get real!!! Do you work for the shitheads at the mp** or what! I dont know if your playing devils advocate on this site or what but just about everyone of your threads is pro industry and adding justification to there positions... Im sorry WAKE-UP the industry has lost! We won keep fighting the losing battle while we lob more handgrenades(in the form of uploads) in your trench.

Has anyone considered that the law is created, in full knowledge that it won't be obeyed, and with no intent to enforce, to keep business happy?

If that were the case, everyone wins.

Steveo how does everybody win? What happens if they decide to prosecute some poor schmo for recording and lending a tv show? Im sorry not everyone WINS! Get real!!! Do you work for the ####heads at the mp** or what! I dont know if your playing devils advocate on this site or what but just about everyone of your threads is pro industry and adding justification to there positions... Im sorry WAKE-UP the industry has lost! We won keep fighting the losing battle while we lob more handgrenades(in the form of uploads) in your trench.

The industry has lost? I beg to differ. I'm not a fan of the law as it is, but the law is the law and it's there to be obeyed. I don't upload, and I never have (I don't download either, but for other reasons).

Yes, I play devils advocate, if only because everyone here needs a slight jolt of hard reality now and again.

Societal reality is what we make of it. It's all human made, and thus can be changed by human hands.

Unfortunately, given that much of the power in our society seems to have been freely given to organizations with the same modus operandi as your average cancer (i.e. endless growth and immediate gain)... is it a wonder that the average joe is getting squished under corporate desires?

Stop me if you've heard it - but corporations are pretty much the basis of Western life.

Like electricity? Water? Internet? Heat? All those goods you have?

If you do - stop bitching, free markets make sure you get them.

Stop me if you've heard it - but corporations are pretty much the basis of Western life.

Like electricity? Water? Internet? Heat? All those goods you have?

If you do - stop bitching, free markets make sure you get them.

I'd actually argue that large corporations have a tendency to stifle free markets at times, if not a tendency to form cartels, and as such require close scrutiny and regulation.

In anycase, we should never restrict our contemplations of what could be, to what is. Just becuase corporations are so fundamental to our contemporary economies, doesn't mean that this is either a healthy thing (environmentally for example, or even for economies themselves - a corporations focus is a narrow one - confinded to the shareholder dividends next quarter, as well as the the immediate share value) or that we can't make the future our own.

Originally my degree was in Economics...

While it's obviously desirable to have perfect competition, the reality is that economies of scale often precipitate the birth of large companies... in some cases, monopolies are beneficial.

Look at Microsoft. Now I know a lot of people like to get sand in various orifices about that particular monopoly but the fact of the matter is that, it's probably been far more beneficial to have such a great degree of samitude.

Best to live in the real world though.

Well, you don't need one company owning 'the lots', to have 'samitude'.... There are plenty of organisations that are comprised of multiple companies (among others) to stimulate the development of uniform standards... Without them, you would not be sitting behind your computer... (however, it seems to me that lately more companies are choosing to ignore these organisations and try to make their own standards, usually driven by their own greed for profit (new dvd format, new wireless protocol). It is at this point that government should intervene and force a 'standard', such as the EU will probably soon do in case of a uniform office format.)

Monopolies are allways bad for society, if they have as goal the accumulation of as much profit as possible, as most of the western companies do... It is perfectly possible to have a company that is not based on the maximisation of profit alone and still have it run without losses... Only some people higher up 'the foodchain' would get less money and since that is not desirable for them and they run the show, this does not happen. I actually personally know (not really good, but still) a few company directors (small companies though), that treat their business as such, they provide all sort of services for free, have a fairly small wage themselves (just to provide for themselves, they don't drive BMW's and such (in fact I think one of them drives a Subaru), help build communities, provide support for youth groups (scouts and such)... They provide a quite popular product with good service and if they wanted they could be millionairs in another 10 years, but they chose not to be and help society instead. And yes, in a western country!

Even perfect competition is not perfect, since perfect competition requires perfect information about all available products, which is not possible... Though obviously, the closer to this system we get, the better...

However, the way I see things proceeding, we are going more and more in the direction of less, but bigger companies. You're right, all free markets tend to birth monopolies, or oligopolies... Another example why the current system is flawed...

Only one problem, the people capable of changing the system are not interested, since they obviously have more to lose than to gain, another example of why man (in general, so mostly all people, there are exceptions though) is intrinsically bad... Man cares more for himself than for his fellow men... I do understand where this comes from though, and I doubt it'll ever change... But I still have my ideals... Even though I realise that is not the way things go in real life, I am convinced that there is a better way, people just aren't smart enough to take 'the better path'... For if only one person fails to take 'the better path', all will loose. Game theory predicts as much... Of course, it depends on your definition of loss...