Dear Or No Deal

Tenebrae

I'm not sure how far this cancerous growth (I'd put it on a par with the likes of reality TV shows like Survivor, Big Brother and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here) has spread across the world but I'm fairly sure that it's in syndication in the US and that originated in Australia and is no doubt, being done across the globe.

Anyway - I know that we've been dumbing down television because most people would rather see celebrities prancing around than a documentary about Bill the Conqueror but this really marks a new low in "quiz" shows. For those of you unacquainted. The general format involves a number of boxes which contain varying degrees of money. At the start of the show, the contestants all choose their box and then one is randomly selected. Then the selected contestant has to choose various boxes to eliminate in several rounds. At the end of round the "banker" calls and offers a sum of money to buy the box and end the game.

No skill, random box selection.

Is this what we're reduced to?

It's not that bad, you get the occasional day when it's great, and a contestant walks away with £1 or less, after rejecting the bankers offere of tens of thousands.

It slightly warms my heart of flint to see such beautiful human misery.

Speaking of celebrities etc prancing around, Big Brother 7 starts in UK tomorrow. I'm not mad on the show but I like to watch the evening highlights of what the twats have been doing all day and laughing my ass off at how pathetic they can be.

Seriously, Deal or No Deal is a game of pure chance. There is no skill or challenge involved. It's not entertainment to me. What gets really annoying is how long they draw out the time they take to choose a box. It takes them 3 minutes just to pick between box 3 and box 24. I get bored watching that show.

Speaking on reality TV, I was in Mexico from 1999-2001. When I left in 1999, I had never heard of Reality TV. When I returned, it was all the rage. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.

I understand the attraction of reality television - it's a logical extension of mass media and celebrity culture. It allows the "celebrification" of ordinary people... and caters to the lowest common denominator that so many people love.

Seriously, Deal or No Deal is a game of pure chance. There is no skill or challenge involved. It's not entertainment to me. What gets really annoying is how long they draw out the time they take to choose a box. It takes them 3 minutes just to pick between box 3 and box 24. I get bored watching that show.

Speaking on reality TV, I was in Mexico from 1999-2001. When I left in 1999, I had never heard of Reality TV. When I returned, it was all the rage. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.

your not the only one!!!!!

& i wasn't even away!!!!

Seriously' date=' Deal or No Deal is a game of pure chance. There is no skill or challenge involved. It's not entertainment to me. What gets really annoying is how long they draw out the time they take to choose a box. It takes them 3 minutes just to pick between box 3 and box 24. I get bored watching that show. [/quote']

My wife got me into this, you're right, there is no skill at all, it's a show that ANY of us could win with luck. What I like is that it gives me the excuse to sign up online for the "Lucky Case Game" which takes 3 minutes and surf through the rest of the show in peace while Howie teases my wife...Right after this...

Damn, this game has been on the dutch television for at least an year.... together with the guess the word game, which consists out of the following...

An very stupid guy/girl... (Really these people can't spell their own names...LITERRALLY)

An very difficult word missing one letter... something like MICROW*VE... or C*MPUTER. Often spelled like MIECROUW*FE or K*MPOOTEER.

An expensive phone number you can call when you know the word.

After you have been selected (1:100) to give the answer, you can then choose between 400 boxes. When you select the tree correct boxes you will be granted 10000 euro's if you don't 4 euro's (just enought to pay for the call).

Welcome to stupidity, it's what drives mankind.