s28e6 -- Age of Steel Offical Discussion Thread!!!

Fenriswolf

This is the offical discussion thread for the episode s28e6 of Dr. Who. Please only comment if you've watched the episiode and have something constructive to say (constructive criticism is welcome). Leave the RTD bashing for another thread please we're getting sick of it. Keep all personal attacks out of this thread as well, repeat offenders will be banned!

Has someone been playing Thief 2, too much?

It was ok. FARRRR too much scmaltz. If they were going to drama something up - why not Ricky dying? Rather than Mickey leaving or some random... on her wedding night. That had me guffawing in a decidely undignified way.

Also, the fact that Rose keeps popping home really take any sense of adventure out of it.

And next week - another episode on Earth... looks like London. Ace.

I have to say, that was a highly dissappointing episode, especially considering I enjoyed last weeks.

So, what was so wrong? I'm finding it hard to pin the problems down, I'm just sitting here wanting 50 minutes back.

The Doctor's performance was, as usual, very good. The acting from Tennant was of the usual standard, but that failed to save a badly written episode.

That was a fantastic conclusion!

Anything i previously didn't like about the new cybermen is now gone from my mind - they were great! :D

The episode kept me in suspense and and exceeded my expectations.

i think it was a really great idea to have Mickey save the day in his final episode. Even though we didn't get to know Mickey that long it was still sad to see him leave...

Can't wait for next week... "Are you sitting comfortably?" ;)

Shouldn't this be called the 'Age Of Steel' Discussion thread?

Wow. Much better than the first part. Much more tense. The last 15 minutes were fantastic!

I disagree with you on schmaltz, afterall it's emotions that make us different from the Cybermen:) Rose neded to go home at the end of the episode it was the right thing for her character to do. She'd just lost Mickey (alternate) Jackie was dead - her (alternate) dad couldn't face the truth. Grief stricken as Rose was, where would you turn? I think was very natural.

I'm glad Mickey decided to stay. I took out some of the unneccesary comic relief.

Was it me, or was there fleeting reference to the Five Doctors? We'll attack this from three angles: Above, beyond (not sure of the right words here?) and below. And did everyone noitce the comet at the end - Could this be Cybermen escaping into our universe via the crack in time?

BTW: They're not scheduled to go to an Alien planet until 'The Satan Pit' I think so get used to the Earth Episodes.

9/10 for me.

Ratings so far:

The Girl In The fireplace: 9 and bit

The Age Of Steel: 9

The Xmas Invasion: 9

Tooth And Claw: 8

School Reunion: 8

Children In Need Special: 7.5

Rise Of The Cybermen:7

New Earth: 6.5

I think Rose should have had to deal with loss, like the Doctor does. It could have brought them closer together and developed her character. It just seems the easy writing way out to send her home.

I'm also glad Mickey has gone, what an annoying guy he was, a third wheel (I know he was supposed to seem like a spare part), but it was just annoying to have to span his whining out over 3 episodes.

The next weeks episode does actually look like it might be interesting.

I didn't really feel much suspense in this episode though... and the 5 seconds it took for the Doc to get out of last episodes jam was a anti-climactic "Oh, looks like a had a magic jam device in my pocket all along." Although, that's a general trend in all 2-parter episodes, the cliffhanger resolves in the first 5 seconds...

It was also a bit predictable that we'd have another magical fix all button... still, it didn't destroy all the cybers but really, if all they need is the magic code - I can't see it taking Mickey and his Byker Grove bud, long to save the world in the Mystery Machine.

Ricky replacing Mickey would have been cool though... I'm mystified as to why the Cybermen were stopped by a mere chain link fence though.

At least we got to see the Cybercontroller...

At least we got to see the Cybercontroller...

He looked quite impressive... when he wasn't sat in the oversized arm chair. Was a bit disappointed not see any Cybermats though - now technology is upto scratch it would nice to see them flying (like in the Radio Times comic strip and was it the 'more than thirty years in the TARDIS' documentry

Shouldn't this be called the 'Age Of Steel' Discussion thread?

Wow. Much better than the first part. Much more tense. The last 15 minutes were fantastic!

I disagree with you on schmaltz, afterall it's emotions that make us different from the Cybermen:) Rose neded to go home at the end of the episode it was the right thing for her character to do. She'd just lost Mickey (alternate) Jackie was dead - her (alternate) dad couldn't face the truth. Grief stricken as Rose was, where would you turn? I think was very natural.

I'm glad Mickey decided to stay. I took out some of the unneccesary comic relief.

Was it me, or was there fleeting reference to the Five Doctors? We'll attack this from three angles: Above, beyond (not sure of the right words here?) and below. And did everyone noitce the comet at the end - Could this be Cybermen escaping into our universe via the crack in time?

BTW: They're not scheduled to go to an Alien planet until 'The Satan Pit' I think so get used to the Earth Episodes.

9/10 for me.

Ratings so far:

The Girl In The fireplace: 9 and bit

The Age Of Steel: 9

The Xmas Invasion: 9

Tooth And Claw: 8

School Reunion: 8

Children In Need Special: 7.5

Rise Of The Cybermen:7

New Earth: 6.5

Yes. I renamed it.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that, I dont know what emotions have been removed from some of you guys :) But that was almost a classic Dr Who, well written episode (considering its not been spread over 4x25mins). I enjoyed the Cybermen very much, the controller was good, voice was much better than the Cybers, I still have trouble picking up all they were saying, maybe the DVD will have subtitles, or perhaps theyll have an offer to get free 'ear-pods' so we can understand.

I liked the fugitive storyline, but a shame it was compressed into 1 episode, Id like to have seen that done over a few weeks like they did on Dalek Invasion Of Earth, but hey its the 21st century TV now.

Some great lines this week. Hotdogs, Cybermen of the food group!

"How did you learn to fly that?" "PLAYSTATION!" ROFL!

And the Doctors "Id say you were a genius, but I'm in the room!"...perfect!:)

So we were half right about Mickey being replaced by Rickey, we knew one of em would get killed. Ive just got a feeling theres gonna be more to this, especially with the Cybermen returning at end of series in OUR Universe. Are they going to go through this crack in time/space? Did the Doctor repair it properly? Or is it going to be the classic Cybers who KNOW the Doctor as an old enemy. Well just have to wait and see!

All in all, very enjoyable, no quibbles whatsoever, no matter how much Id like to try and bring it down! Next weeks looks ok, the 50s is a good era to play in, but STILL ON EARTH Aaaargh!

It was ok. FARRRR too much scmaltz. If they were going to drama something up - why not Ricky dying? Rather than Mickey leaving or some random... on her wedding night. That had me guffawing in a decidely undignified way.

Also, the fact that Rose keeps popping home really take any sense of adventure out of it.

And next week - another episode on Earth... looks like London. Ace.

There's no such thing as too much Thief 2!!!

lol:)

What did you think of the episode FW?

The Cybermen were sufficiently different and they did a good job of making them totally emotionless. I actually found the whole idea of the broken emotional inhibitor chilling compared to funny, but that's just me.

I liked the exposition by Rose regarding the Cyberman head and the explanation by the Doctor that yes, they were Cybermen but since it was a parallel world they were starting over again. I thought the Pete Tyler character worked fairly well and was pleased to see Jackie get hers *grin*

The Mickey/Rickey thing was also pretty well done, I think that needed to happen to be honest since he was a 5th wheel.

well it died in some loose ends for me the 'we have cybermen in our universe too' line was good and it was made out as a lil diff cuz its a parallel world so i'm happy will give it an 8.5 not sure about next weeks kind of reminds me of the ecclestone epesode with dickens in it in a way (The Unquiet Dead) but i like the 'are we sitting comfortably... then i will begin ...ZAP!!!' idea

Yes I just noticed that the game is about Cybermen in Paris, pretty easy game this week! Soooo, does that mean my internet is providing content from another parallel universe, I wonder if thatll stand in court if I refuse to pay my ISP fees :)

There's no such thing as too much Thief 2!!!

I did love that game... Karas always reminded me of droopy though.

Hmm, the Mechanites servants were kind of like the Cybermen now I come to think of it.

It was nice to actually see Mickey developed a bit before they left him behind.

It was also good that they cybermen were done with costumes and not CGI.

Yeah, there were definite similarities between Cybermen and the servants of the Hammerites.

I think Mickey could have really come into his own. I just hope that they don't think of doing a spin off with Mickey in this alternate...that might be a bit too much.

I think they'd have lost a lot with CGI for certain. I presume they used some CGI in the whole factory scene as the camera pans back and up but I think it would be a very small amount of CGI tho.