magnetic levitation (maglev)

subspatial

Germany patented it, China actually USES it.

I'll ride it when I fly into Shanghai, probably this year. If only the US would wisen up and use it and get rid of AmWRECK.

Imagine going from NY to CA in just a few hours, and even faster if they run it through an air tight tunnel.

They've been experimenting with it for many years, for now, afaik, there only is a test track... It makes a very distinguishable noise too. I think the reason they haven't built them yet for real in Europe, is the price and market situations... Nearly everybody has a car and train are not that extensively used, at least not to the degree they could be. Didn't Japan have one of those too btw?

afaik' date=' there only is a test track[/quote']

The one in shanghai is not a test track. They've had it since 2003, long after I left in 2001. It's used to bring people from the pudong airport into the city. Costs abt $6

Japan has been wasting time like Germany. Just making them sleeker looking, the way they like to robo-ize every damn thing and never put it into practical use.

Europe(Germany) and China are the ones who really need and use trains the most. The US doesn't. China is choked with pollution from mopeds and no parking spaces, and Germany has the best rail system in the world. I lived in both places.

sorry? why exactly doesnt the US need a rail system? forgive me if i am wrong but was not the west conquered by rail! Surely if anywhere on earth needs an economical alternative to fossil fuel transportation for the masses over long distances it IS the US

afaik' date=' there only is a test track[/quote']

The one in shanghai is not a test track. They've had it since 2003, long after I left in 2001. It's used to bring people from the pudong airport into the city. Costs abt $6

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant: afaik in Germany there only is a test track... I have no idea about China... But if you say they have a fully operating/in use system, then I'm sure they have... :)

The one in Germany is used only for tests though, it has been there since before 2000... Unless they changed it by now, I haven't heard about it in several years now...

The one is Germany is used as a museum tourist attraction where they charge admission :thinking:

Complete waste of tech, but Germany just doesn't have the money to implement one, and their economy isn't getting any better. Hell college isn't even free there anymore. China is the only one who can BARELY afford to build these, and we're only talking about a few miles of track. Blame or praise it on a corrupt banking system.

sorry? why exactly doesnt the US need a rail system?

It's not that we don't need it, it's just too late to implement it. Our cities are not built to accomodate one, except for san francisco lol. More people use buses and cars, and it would just be easier for those fat asses to get on a bike and goto work in the city. If you live too far away then you're screwed. It would be too expensive now for the highways to be reworked and torn apart to make way for a rail system.

The only thing they can do is replace amwreck with it. But that would cost trillions and trillions because these bone heads won't lower the price for their invention. This damn thing could be free if they wanted it to be, to improve the world. China is by far the place that needs it the most. I've seen black exhaust that could give GOD cancer thrice over coming out of a 2" chinese made moped tailpipe. And that's on a brand new moped! Their pollution standards are a joke.

And actually the west was discovered and populated by horse and coach, which would be considered a car nowadays lol. Trains were again merely used by tourists.

ahem... you guy...

japan has already had one for ages.....

can you guess why china didn't want japan to build its rails???? lol

thats why they got a european country to contract it... lol i thouhgt i was france... silly me!!!!

Railway united the Atlantic and Pacific oceans in the USA. It was useful for trade puropses, and that's done by air freight mostly these days. The United States is really geared to domestoc air travel, not rail.

The UK has a reasonably extensive rail network that I use frequently, but it's a Victorian infrastructure, and I doubt any but the west coast and east coast mainlines would be at all suitable for upgrading.

The London Underground, perhaps, but the staff would just strike for more pay if there was any whiff of money to invest. Lazy, greedy b**stards already get paid over £30k to sit on their arses.

Japans is a TEST track. They don't carry paying passengers. Chinas MAGLEV does.

Japan, like Germany, has an economy that's in the toilet, and neither can afford to build it, even when Germany is the one who invented the thing! Only China has the FIRST commercially operating line.

Seriously? Paying customers

Yes, was in one of my earlier posts. $6 or 50RMB NOTHING is free in China. You even have to pay an airport maintenance fee of 50-100RMB when you land!

well at least you kinda know where the money is going... not like here where it is called airport tax.. i think.. and you know the airport ain't gona see a penny of that tax.. lol!!!!!!

$6.. that sound cheap.. that around £3... you can't even get a one day bus pass for that amount!!!

i swear we pay too much for the crappyiest service in the world.....

i mean the average delay for a train in japan is 1 minute.... 1 minute WTF...... it must be like an HOUR over here and that doesn't count being delayed in the bloody thing too ...

:mad:

deep breaths..... innnnn.. :o ouutttt.. :o innn :o ...out :o

phew.. :)

Well' date=' I was told that an average Chinese worker earns only about $10/day, so they certainly can't make use of that train... Is it for tourists?[/quote']

Yes, but that's an average, one of the worst representational statistics.

I wonder if the 'average' worker lives near this train? I'd imagine that it's in a more affluent area.

Is it for tourists?

It's for people leaving or going to the airport. It's cheap because it's only 18 miles of track, or an 8 minute ride. And no, the Chinese who live in SH do make more money than the rest because it is a more expensive city to live in, like Beijing. The train is mostly used by tourists though since I don't think wandering around an airport would be much of a family vacation to justify using that train. Salary in SH is probably around $300-500 a month.