Realisation of another MPAA hypocrisy

Tenebrae

Now, as I understand it - resale of videos, DVD, your mother is pretty much prohibited under the laws of copyright. You buy that video/mother/DVD it's yours and yours alone, in perpetuity, when you die, it's buried with you to go on to the next life, where similarly strict copyright laws apply.

When when the expletive aren't the MPAA/RIAA bending e-bay over a desk for facilitating the illegal resale of 2nd hand goods?

What a pack of hypocritical expletives. Expletive, expletive, expletive and they're mother expleitve too.

Actually, that's one thing I've always wondered about. None of the profit of resale goes back to the original artists / middlemen, and technically prevents some people from buying new versions, so you'd think that the MPAA/RIAA'd be trying to step on that, too...

Guest c4evap

Just great...something else to maybe worry about. I stopped downloading and bought (used on Ebay) all the DVDs I could ever want. Are they gonna come after me for buying "previously owned" goods?

*c4 hides under bed*

c4 :thinking:

There's a lot of pirated stuff on ebay anyway, e.g. TV episodes people have downloaded and offering on DVDR. If they don't jump on those, they are unlikely to jump on DVD resales.

Its all about scale - if they sue you for a single DVD resale it piddly, where as for a torrent they get you for sharing 1000's of copies.

Actually' date=' that's one thing I've always wondered about. None of the profit of resale goes back to the original artists / middlemen, and technically prevents some people from buying new versions, so you'd think that the MPAA/RIAA'd be trying to step on that, too...[/quote']

Depending on what country you're from, what kind of art, the price involved and such, there actually is a law that states that the author gets a piece of the 'resale' value upon this occurring (resale).

So to expand this to technical stuff, suppose you buy a Chrysler and then you sell it, Chrysler would get a certain percentage of the value you sold it for... That is what's happening with art resale in some countries... Rediculous really, so let me say it again: copyright law has been made by complete and utter idiots or complete maniacs or extreme money-mongering a-holes...

Well, didn't MPAA stats admit that copying between friends and such were the biggest "loss" of revenue?

It's not as if the MPAA COULDN'T stop e-bay sales... e-bay are legal cowards who shirk... well, any responsibility for anything. If there is a buck to be passed, sure ain't stopping with those invertebraes... which is respectable. Companies in such facilitating businessesessesesesesse should be ready to shaft the little guy at a moments notice for that extra buck (American dream and all).

Yeah... forgotten my point but resale is technically illegal and ridiculous doesn't have an E.

Depending on what country you're from' date=' what kind of art, the price involved and such, there actually is a law that states that the author gets a piece of the 'resale' value upon this occurring (resale).[/quote']

these ebay sales are not resales though - that would presume they are buying CD's and reselling them (I doubt they are even buying cds and selling rips)

• 2 weeks later...

The copyright law sucks and the mpaa realizes that smashing resales is bad for business so they ignore it for the most part! However they need to step up there prosecution efforts on foreign dvds such as the crap that comes out of China!

Guest c4evap

How do you know that the "crap" coming out of China are bootlegs (I'm assuming that's what you mean)? I have the entire Voyager series on Asian DVDs and according to the print on the box they are legal.

BTW...the quality of the set I own is great.

c4 B)

• 3 weeks later...
How do you know that the "crap" coming out of China are bootlegs (I'm assuming that's what you mean)? I have the entire Voyager series on Asian DVDs and according to the print on the box they are legal.

c4 B)

I wouldnt buy anything out of China. Why isnt it PAL standard the region code that it's supposed to be? If your so sure about the authenticity you could always send 1 cd to the mpaa. I seriously doubt there legit C4, perhaps the quality is great but that doesnt really prove anything. Just because the print makes it appear real doesnt mean it's so. I can go to staples today browse there paper selection and purchase a few sheets that resembles american currency, go home and scan a couple (OLD Style) twenty dollar bills dirty them up a little and most people wouldnt be able to tell there fakes. Therefore one can assume that the people who are involved in this counterfeiting operation have spared no expense in buying the right equipment to pull it off. Where the determination comes in is liscensing for specific global regions.

If it's from China, it could be either PAL or NTSC because, depending on where the hardware comes from, it could be either. If the disk was made in Taiwan or intended for hardware from Taiwan or Japan, it'd be NTSC.

Do you really suggest people give the MPAA anything for any reason? ;p I wouldn't give the MPAA dirty toilet paper even if they would take it.

If it's from China, it could be either PAL or NTSC because, depending on where the hardware comes from, it could be either. If the disk was made in Taiwan or intended for hardware from Taiwan or Japan, it'd be NTSC.

Do you really suggest people give the MPAA anything for any reason? ;p I wouldn't give the MPAA dirty toilet paper even if they would take it.

It's important to differentiate between physical piracy and file sharing. I support file sharing and imho believe it's not a crime provided no profit is derived intentionally from such. Physical pirates ie. those who traffic in the illegal sales of DVDs are what's really hurting the movie industry. In the meantime the mpaa uses us (file sharers) as scapegoats for there bogus claims that we're responsible for most of there lost profits. Which isnt the case at all, I hope you can understand the point im making with regard to C4s purchase that i really hope the money went to a legitimate reseller, i have grave doubts.

& yes i wouldnt have a problem sending the mpaa suspect DVDs that i purchased.

yeh good point,

I wonder how many people buy second hand DVDs/CDs...

and that figure compared to 'illegal' downloads...

We may find that E-Bay is the biggest copyright conspiricy in the world.

You would think that MPAA would've jumped on this first (before the torrent fiasco)

edit: BTW on a similar theme, I'd love your advice on this topic about music downloads

yeh good point,

I wonder how many people buy second hand DVDs/CDs...

and that figure compared to 'illegal' downloads...

We may find that E-Bay is the biggest copyright conspiricy in the world.

You would think that MPAA would've jumped on this first (before the torrent fiasco)

edit: BTW on a similar theme, I'd love your advice on this topic about music downloads

Microsoft and other software companies are all over EBAY watching the auctions. I think what's happening the mpaa is gun shy knowing that sooner or later someone may put up a huge fight so they only flag very suspicous items. Im surprised the auction c4 bought her dvds from wasnt halted.

Im glad she's happy(c4) with the quality of her dvds but that alone(quality level) doesnt mean it's legit. I can also understand why someone like c4 doesnt want to send the set in for a once over because mpaa will probably sieze her dvds and give her nothing in return.

Guest c4evap

c4 B)

I wouldnt buy anything out of China. Why isnt it PAL standard the region code that it's supposed to be?

I'm sure I don't know.

If your so sure about the authenticity you could always send 1 cd to the mpaa.

Not likely.

I seriously doubt there legit C4' date=' perhaps the quality is great but that doesnt really prove anything. Just because the print makes it appear real doesnt mean it's so.[/quote']

True.

I can go to staples today browse there paper selection and purchase a few sheets that resembles american currency' date=' go home and scan a couple (OLD Style) twenty dollar bills dirty them up a little and most people wouldnt be able to tell there fakes.[/quote']

Doubtful.

Therefore one can assume that the people who are involved in this counterfeiting operation have spared no expense in buying the right equipment to pull it off. Where the determination comes in is liscensing for specific global regions.

I don't know how you can assume (as you said) anything. You have no knowledge of their license, facilities or any information about who made the Voyager DVDs. Assuming is a dangerous game. Better to be armed with facts!

c4 B)

c4 B)

We Chinks can copy anything and everything! On a past trip back to Taiwan, I saw the police raid bootleggers in night flea markets. All the sudden, you see five to six little Chinese dudes run past you screaming "Gene-Cha! Gen-Cha!" (Chinese for cops). They were carrying portable burners, and their whole inventory as well. Speedy little bastards we are...

Wow, that's so many racial stereotypes confirmed I could squeal!

But I do wonder what is going to happen when China (and India) become the driving force behind the world's economy. The MPAA won't be happy, that's for sure.