Disturbing email from isp

moon47usaco

I received this email below today...

While in the past i had taken no real action towards torrent protection... Partly because it was not a threat and partly because i feel that what i do is in no way illegal or hurting any one (or ones pocket book)...

I feel now it is time to step up security...

This was a torrent that i had downloaded months ago but just yesterday re-seeded it because i like to share... This is where i would normally say something like "SO SUE ME" but i think that would be taunting given the circumstances... So rather "DONT SUE ME"...

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

System: OS X, Client: Az, Internet security: Minimal to none (have a mac what for), Torrent security: None that i know of (Now)

This sucks lets pick on the small guy because my million dollar salary is not nearly enough...

Funny how laws are designed to help those with money and power and keep those without from having anything...

While i have stopped all downloading except a few torrents i have of free-ware GNU public licensed software this does not mean that i will go out and spend money on anything...

Actually makes me want to boycott anything that puts money in someone's pocket who is not will ing to give back to the community...

Hope those stupid greedy bastards are happy...

Ok enough griping...

Here is the email i received... =[

R

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center

Comcast Cable Communications, LLC

650 Centerton Road

Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.

Phone: (856) 317-7272

Fax: (856) 317-7319

E-mail: dmca@comcast.net

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,

Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Title: Quantum Leap (TV)

Infringement Source: BitTorrent

Initial Infringement Timestamp: 6 Jun 2006 02:54:16 GMT

Recent Infringment Timestamp: 6 Jun 2006 21:26:35 GMT

Infringer Username:

Infringing Filename: Quantum Leap - Season 2 - Dvdrip

Infringing Filesize: 8065093914

Infringers IP Address: 24.9.8.238

Infringers DNS Name: c-24-9-8-238.hsd1.co.comcast.net

Infringing URL: http://qltrack.yi.org:6969/announce

Guest c4evap

I have Optimum Online as my ISP and I also received a threatening letter about 2 years ago. I had uploaded an anti-virus program and my ISP forwarded a letter from the copyright holder pretty much stating what your letter said. I didn't respond and waited for another letter which never arrived. Hopefully, your situation turns out as well.

c4 :thinking:

Thank you both...

I am really not concerned other than not wanting to do ANY more dl'ing until i can find out how to accurately and completely block my IP from further snooping by outsiders...

Thanks again...

;)

B)

When will it end... =]

R

Guest c4evap

Hiding your IP addy should do it. Try this web site. Not recommending this software (don't know if it's any good) but the site will give you some needed info. Just do a web search (Google) on IP address hiding (or a like term).

c4 B)

I think that ISPs generally don't care... hell, in the UK we've got ISPs advertising with slogans that amount to:

"LOL WE GIVE YOU TEH BANDWIDTH TO PIRAT3 FILMS AND MUS1C LOL!"

So, really... they're just following the letter of the law, I think.

Also... I'm not sure how much protection hiding your UP will give you in terms of torrents, sure it'll help you avoid people tracking you and such but I think you need to be looking at these new torrent networks that are basically encrypted all over the shop so that you don't know the IP of pretty much anyone else on the network and vice versa.

Tor.

Perhaps someone should invent a "Infringing Torrent List". When someone receive a C&D letter, they could mark that torrent has 'infringing'. Clients with this capability would inform other people trying to use the torrent that the torrent has been indentified by its copyright owners and warn them to stay away. It would certainly keep people out of trouble by letting them know upfront that downloading it would probably result in a notice from the copyright owner.

Heres what an official DMCA Violation letter looks like...

SAMPLE DMCA Violation letter:

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL - PLEASE READ BELOW FOR INSTRUCTIONS.

Tuesday, November 18, 2003 4:41:25 PM

Joe Spartan

1234 Mastercraft Blvd, East Lansing, MI

Dear Joe,

A report has been filed with this office alleging that you are in violation of

the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 by making available (sharing)

copyrighted material over the Internet. As this constitutes using your MSU

network privileges to violate federal and state copyright laws, you are

therefore also in violation of MSU’s Statement of Acceptable Use (SAU).

Please refer to section III: 5.1, which particularly applies to your case. A

copy of this statement may be found at: http://www.msu.edu/au

Specifically, it was reported that on 11/05/2003 3:02:00 PM the following IP

address 35.x.x.x, which was registered to your MSU NetID, was openly sharing

the files listed in the complaint below.

As a result, you are expected to immediately stop all sharing of copyrighted

material from your computer. You must also go to

http://help.msu.edu/copyright/complaint/ no later than 5:00 pm two business

days from the date of this email, to confirm that you have stopped all illegal

activity. Failure to take action by the stated time will result in suspension

of your Ethernet connectivity and may result in a hold being placed on your

registration and/or the cancellation of your classes. In addition, any further

complaints of SAU violations will result in immediate loss of Ethernet

connectivity.

As you go through the process at this website you will be informed in detail

on the nature of the charges, steps that need to be taken to remedy the

immediate situation and how to avoid this type of situation from happening

again in the future. You will also be informed of the consequences of any

further violations of MSU’s Statement of Acceptable Use. Once suspended, your

Ethernet connectivity will not be restored until it is verified that you are

in complete compliance with the Statement of Acceptable Use, state and federal

laws. If your Ethernet connection is shut off, you will still have access to the

Internet and MSU’s network resources through any of MSU’s public microcomputer

labs across campus. This will allow you to complete any class work requiring

network access and/or to access ANGEL. If you have any questions, please

do not hesitate to contact the SAU Hotline.

Respectfully,

MSU Network Statement of Acceptable Use Compliance

MSU SAU Compliance Hotline: (517) 353-1800

----------- Begin Complaint Message ----------

Content-Length: 5269

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Michigan State University

220 Computer Center

Notice ID:xxxxxxx

Notice Date:5 Nov 2003 23:46:42 GMT

Dear Sir or Madam:

BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount

Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its agent

for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol

listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests

on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.

BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use for the material in the

manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount,

its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the

best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification

under provisions of section 512© of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright

Act to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached

report. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the

infringement. The Notice ID identifies the copyrighted works by file

identification number.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the

infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user

refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the

future.

Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to

resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your

response.

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of

Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are

expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the

following address:

xxxx xxxxxx

Chief Executive Officer

xxxxxxxxx, Inc.

PO Box xxxxxx

xxxx, xxx xxxxxx

v: xxx-xxx-xxxx

f: xxx-xxx-xxxx

paramount-pictures@xxxxxx.com

*pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com

Note: The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the

person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential

and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission,

dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,

this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is

prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and

delete the material from all computers.

This infringement notice contains an XML tag that can be used to automate

the processing of this data. If you would like more information on how to

use this tag please contact BayTSP.

- ----

Infringed Work: Italian Job, The

Infringing FileName: [tmd]the.italian.job.(logistic).ts.(2of3).avi

Infringing FileSize: 100204544

Protocol: FastTrack

Infringers IP Address: 35.xx.xx.xx

Infringer's User Name: xxxxxxxxx@KaZaA

Infringement Timestamp: 5 Nov 2003 20:02:38 GMT

Infringing FileName: [tmd]the.italian.job.(hairyhamster).dvdrip.(2of2).avi

Infringing FileSize: 127279104

Infringers IP Address: 35.xx.xx.xx

Infringer's User Name: xxxxxxx@KaZaA

Infringing FileName: The Italian Job(1of2).avi

Infringing FileSize: 134465536

Infringers IP Address: 35.x.x.x

Infringer's User Name: xxxxxx@KaZaA

Thanks RS and yes a DMCA letter is sent to THE offending party. It doesnt surprise me an mpaa stooge is masquerading on this website at all. I hope one of the moderators would be so kind as to CHECK this f*kers ip address POST IT UP EVEN so others here can have a fun time .......

sighs.......SORRY mpaa NICE TRY in an effort to get close to the user base here!

ALSO ANOTHER THING==== PLEASE be so kind as to scan the DMCA letter NEXT TIME!

brbbbb baytsp is horrible = a company that hires cutrate labour who cant make it in the REAL tech support field so they pay them 13 dollars an hour to screw people. IM SORRY 13 DOLLARS AN HOUR ISNT ENOUGH MONEY TO SCREW PEOPLE..........thinks a little hmmmm id probably do it for 70 an hour= wait a minute my mother taught me a long time ago what honour means also since i file share how could i live with myself targeting people all day long and then go home and do the EXACT same thing im being paid to prevent= MPAA Lawyer..... Jerks

yawns a little.......... maybe the original poster is pining for attention and isnt an agent...honestly i dont care

Ive been file sharing for about 5 years, 3 of which with torrents and apart from my regular hardware firewall/AV I have no extra protection and have not had a single letter from my ISP or whoever and I can get through a few gig in one day with torrents, ten times as much on usenet (on a good day if theres anything I fancy). NTL UK arent too bothered about the torrent community, in fact Id go so far as to say they endorse it as they have plans to use the torrent community for a lot of their file distribution etc, so theyd be shooting themselves in the foot to ban their customers from using torrent clients.

Ive been file sharing for about 5 years' date=' 3 of which with torrents and apart from my regular hardware firewall/AV I have no extra protection and have not had a single letter from my ISP or whoever and I can get through a few gig in one day with torrents, ten times as much on usenet (on a good day if theres anything I fancy). NTL UK arent too bothered about the torrent community, in fact Id go so far as to say they endorse it as they have plans to use the torrent community for a lot of their file distribution etc, so theyd be shooting themselves in the foot to ban their customers from using torrent clients.[/quote'] I was told by a comcast insider that they have a legal team that's primary focus is to keep the mpaa at bay with regard to any information released on there customers. This makes sense because when you think about it why would anyone need a high speed conn, unless you share and download big files. Im not a big fan of comcast because they charge alot imho, I can get DSL for far less but do they protect there customers? The devil you know etc. etc. ........It just seems really strange that this person recieved a letter that's why a warning bell went off when i saw this post because like you i download/upload a ton and have never recieved a letter. Ive been involved with file sharing since the wild west days of Napster using the same provider Comcast so im very very suspicous of this posters claim.

One thing we do know is that there monitoring this site so why not try to infiltrate it and cause harm to the regular posters?

footnote: Maybe this person isnt an agent but if she/he is dont think that administration here cant do something to make your life miserable unless your highly skilled at spoofing your ip address.

This could just be a made up story but id have to see the original notice either scanned or a digital camera picture to believe it. Everyone has a digi cam RIGHT? Simple take a pic use photobucket or another hosting service and provide a link just be sure to white out any personal details such as name and ip address. Then and only then will i believe this story otherwise it's complete bullshit imho.

Nothing stays on my computer once its downloaded anyway, after getting a decent ratio and I know theres sufficient to carry on that file, it gets burned to CD/DVD, this hopefully reduces the chances of being caught with something on my HD. I know a lot of ppl have massive HDs (sometimes multiples of) and keep all there files where they are, and then they wonder why they get caught with copyrighted material.

Im beginning to sound like a major pirate here, far from it, I may be able to get gigs a day but I rarely do. My best day was back on Nites when we had loads of Dr Whos and Star Treks, now theyre all but collected, all I get now is the odd album and PDF computer magazine from The Demon, which if I really love will buy the thing. The same goes for Dr Who, I like getting the old VHS rips but when a DVD is released its added to my collection. New Dr Who's will get the same treatment.

I use a firewall that blocks any intruders, including those hourly checkups by comcast to see if I'm really online or whatever it's for. I don't do anything wrong, really..honest...I just don't like peepers in my PC anymore than I like my wife and kids putting our phone number on the internet for anyone to call our house offering to send us to Disney "for a small application fee".

Yeah, and don't anyone mention the "Do Not Call" list, that only works when you don't tell people your phone number when signing up for some free spyware, thereby giving permission for at least one phone call.

Wow, that's off topic. I never got any letters from comcast, but I'm certain they don't give a hoot until they recieve those emails. For anyone who wants to know, if the file names don't cantain the name of the entire contents, Like "Infringing FileName: [tmd]the.italian.job.(hairyhamster).dvdrip.(2of2).avi " but used "tij" instead, there would be no "Legal" way for anyone to intercept your file or look at it, much less cause too much suspicion.

Sorry Nite, wasn't trying to share tips, but common sense goes a long way, you know. Nowadays, it would be like walking through downtown telling everyone you meet "Hi, I have unpaid parking tickets!", eventually you're gonna run into a meter-maid.

I use a firewall that blocks any intruders, including those hourly checkups by comcast to see if I'm really online or whatever it's for. I don't do anything wrong, really..honest...I just don't like peepers in my PC anymore than I like my wife and kids putting our phone number on the internet for anyone to call our house offering to send us to Disney "for a small application fee".

Yeah, and don't anyone mention the "Do Not Call" list, that only works when you don't tell people your phone number when signing up for some free spyware, thereby giving permission for at least one phone call.

Wow, that's off topic. I never got any letters from comcast, but I'm certain they don't give a hoot until they recieve those emails. For anyone who wants to know, if the file names don't cantain the name of the entire contents, Like "Infringing FileName: [tmd]the.italian.job.(hairyhamster).dvdrip.(2of2).avi " but used "tij" instead, there would be no "Legal" way for anyone to intercept your file or look at it, much less cause too much suspicion.

Sorry Nite, wasn't trying to share tips, but common sense goes a long way, you know. Nowadays, it would be like walking through downtown telling everyone you meet "Hi, I have unpaid parking tickets!", eventually you're gonna run into a meter-maid.

I use the same firewall the problem is they change ip address so the protection you recieve is more mental then physical.