Happy 4th July

Antilles

yeah congrats to all the people of the usa for being free of the oppression of the British Empire for another year :)

I'm not celebrating this year, because just like before the first July fourth, we once again have a "Mad King George" ruling us. :(

Edit: By the way, that was a joke. I'm going to blow up several small pieces of paper, chemicals and gunpowder. ;)

Has anyone else noticed that we no longer call this Independence Day? In fact when I did call it that I was told it was the 4th of July NOT Independence Day. Wonder why this is? Possibly because we don't actually have Independence and are in actuality slaves to the elite (i.e. Government, Big Business, Special Interests Groups, the UN and Hollywood.) Just a thought.

AFAIK, Independence Day IS celebrated on the 4th of July. but as any Libertarian might tell you, the actual creation date of the Declaration was the 2nd of July. News traveled slowly back then.

Blow things up? nah, I had a few beers, ate barbecue chicken and lit a bonfire. PAR-TAY!

Independence Day IS celebrated on the 4th of July. but as any Libertarian might tell you' date=' the actual creation date of the Declaration was the 2nd of July. News traveled slowly back then. [/quote']

The Lee Resolution for independence, which was proposed on June 7th, was adopted by 12 of the 13 colonies (New York was the odd one out) on July 2nd. The actual Declaration of independence was approved on July 4th. On July 9th the New York Convention finally agreed to the adoption of the declaration. The date that the document was actually signed by the first deleagates was August 2nd with others signing at a later date.

My whole problem is that no one calls it Independence Day any more and it is slowly going to lose its meaning so that eventually people will be celebrating just because it's what we do and they won't know why. As I said it's pretty sad when someone tells you it's not Independence Day when that is indeed what the celebration on the 4th day of July is about.

Its like that over here sometimes in the UK, we celebrate 5th November, or Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes Night. For those who dont know what or who Guy Fawkes was try watching 'V For Vendetta' or just Google 'Gunpodwer Plot'.

My point is, the guy was a terrorist yet we celebrate it, now are we being rebellious celebrating that a citizen tried blowing up Parliament or are we celebrating the fact that he got caught and it was prevented. If its because it was prevented then why do we let off fireworks in remembrance of the gunpowder explosions that would have been.

Are we going to Celebrate 7th July for the London Bombings? Do we celebrate 911 for the destruction of WTC? NO, and those guys were terrorists.We just remember the events which is okay. Fireworks sales are a big business I guess and its just become too commercial which I find is wrong.

• 4 weeks later...