MPAA admits to unauthorized movie copyin

barnabis

I found this months ago and didn't realize I had it book marked.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060124-6036.html

quote from article:

"We made a copy of Kirby's movie [Titled "this film has not yet been rated" ] because it had implications for our employees," said Kori Bernards, the MPAA's vice president for corporate communications. She said Dick spied on the members of the MPAA's Classification and Rating Administration, including going through their garbage and following them as they drove their children to school.

/quote

I'm not sure how well known this article is, found it searching for mpaa copyright articles months ago. Also, not sure which forum I should have posted this in, figured I couldn't go wrong in this one.

My personal comments...

I wonder how many other movies they made unauthorized copies of, must be a fringe benefit to being a fat cow there. Reguardless of this excuse, they could have gone to a judge or held a special meeting were the employee's viewd the documentry.

hehe, wow i hadn't seen this one before.

I especially like this "...the MPAA may have been within its rights to make copies of the film. Given that the MPAA's intent isn't financial gain and that the whole situation may rise above the level of trading barbs through the media into legal action, making a copy may be justified."

LOL :)

Does that mean that I can make a copy too?

I'm not planning on selling it, just showing it to my work mates in the media industry :)

Hey, actually, can i make a copy of Star Trek and show it to my workmates too?

.. they are Scientists and Navy Cadets :)

I don't think you get far in corporate America without being a lying, cheating, stealing, hypocrite. Naturally, the line between success and failure is measured in how often you're caught.

Enron being an example of the latter but just remember, if anyone tried to pursue legal action agains the MPAA, their lawyers would probably get such a beating.

• 2 weeks later...