Amazing discovery at Barnes & Noble

Cornelius Bezelton

Im currently travelling abroad in the United States visiting friends. The other day I had my driver deliver me to a Barnes & Noble bookstore. He was amazed when i explained not to gather me up for at least 5 hours. Unfortunately with my disability im sequestered to a wheel chair. Believe me this is not a punishment since it allows me to study human beings in great detail. I suppose i watch people as intently as an ornathologist. From what i observed especially the young people, is that a visit to the bookstore is more of a music/dvd excursion. Now i talked to quite a few people, one of the tricks i employ to engage in conversation, is to have the person im interested in studying assist me in picking a book from the top shelf. Since i cant reach that far it works nearly 100 percentile. My biggest problem is that the store assigned a young lady to follow me around like a mother hen. Finally after about an hour I was able to dispatch her so i could continue with my research.

I was simply bewildered that the United States has the greatest percentile of top Scientists in the world, because from the survey i ran over, quite a few of these young people barely read. Furthermore there speach patterns ( "ya knows" and hmmms and honestly for a spot i felt like i was interviewing pygmies in the rain forest. The question that begs to be answered is where do the Americans hide all these brilliant young people. Maybe there really is a Eureka and there stashing them right under everyones nose!

It's speech patterns.
Please excuse my spelling is terrible, since it appears of utmost importance i'll run everything through a spellcheck script. Keep in mind that this doesnt always accomplish 100 percentile. Therefore, if so desired you can follow me about much like the young lady at the book store.

Thankyou for your concern,

Cornelius

Guest Mrthumps

I don't think it's very wise to judge an entire countries populace based upon one visit to one bookstore.

As well, to judge someone based upon how they speak outside of a work or their educational environment isn't the best.

For all you know, the young people you spoke with are really straight A students and were just in their "off hour" mode.

It's speech patterns.
Please excuse my spelling is terrible, since it appears of utmost importance i'll run everything through a spellcheck script. Keep in mind that this doesnt always accomplish 100 percentile. Therefore, if so desired you can follow me about much like the young lady at the book store.

Thankyou for your concern,

Cornelius

Actually it just struck me as extremely hypocritical since you deigned to pick on the Americans for their terrible (speach) speech patterns, now this to me is indicative that you're really only here to troll the forums and and attempt to appear superior, we won't be following you around anywhere, you step out of line you'll be banned.

Thank you for /your/ concern.

Before you cast your critical eye over a subject group to study, please be aware of the correct spelling. Otherwise it's like someone saying to me, excuse me my dear but in that story you wrote I had to correct a few things, I think you need to work on your grammer.

Yes, the grammer thing actually happened to me at a convention where I was, I had to laugh and smile politely as I pointed out the correct spelling is grammar.

Now if you are here to enjoy the forums I'm sure that you'll find a wealth of interesting scientific study, along with the science fiction discussions that take place...but if you're at all like BorisP or Troy then we shall part ways very quickly via a ban. My suggestion would be to read the R-Penthe forums or search for BorisP's posts as an example of how to end up on the wrong side of the site's owner.

I was simply bewildered that the United States has the greatest percentile of top Scientists in the world' date=' because from the survey i ran over, quite a few of these young people barely read.[/quote']

What about the scientist/students from the rest of the world (the other 95% of the planets population) that moves to US (and many other countries) to study/research?

Interestingly enough, if this guy is genuinely handicapped, it is extremely possible that his spelling errors are the result of a machine as he might not be able to type. I know of at least one ISP owner that can't chat online with ease because he can't use his hands very well.

Of course, "his" interest in people is fascinating. I like to understand people better myself. And I also see a tendency in modern youth to not read if video is available. My nephews were/are excellent examples. Alas, paperback novels, I knew them well.

Another possibility, being handicapped, people tend to ignore you, pity you, or in other words treat you unlike a "normal" person. It's possible, he justs wants to understand why.... Give the guy the benefit of a doubt until he trolls like Katerina. ;)

The thing you need to understand, Bezelton, is that every generation's speech pattern's are different from every other's. Especially among the young. I'm sorry that you couldn't groove to those hap cat's lingo, daddy-o, that's really a downer. You know.

Seriously, what one says is also augmented by how one says it. And body language. When I was young "cool" could convey many, many things, even it's opposite. Someone tells you something and you are barely interested, you would say "Yeah, thas cool" (spelled phonetically "thas"- weakening the strong "ts" sound of "that's" to a lisping "s" sound) which would actually mean "yeah, I heard you and I could care less". Especially if you moved your hand in a waving away motion- but that was usually reserved for a very aggressive dismissal.

Plus if they were talking amongst themselves, to friends, meaning may be implied in other ways. When one says "you know" to a friend, he probably does know, even if YOU, while eavesdropping, don't. Ya know?

The survey you ran (over) for a mere five hours (is the survey ok, by the way, did you run over his toes?) at a large chain like Barnes and Nobles, which is more about entertainment than education, hardly qualifies you as an authority on this country's intellectuals. Go visit a library. A coffee shop during a poetry recital. Heck,even a park near a university. Not a store that mostly deals in escapism. Even intellectuals like escapism, that's one of the reasons sci-fi is so popular.

So where do we hide our geniuses? Well, mostly at the labs ,university classes, board meetings, etc. The rest of the time, when on a break and wanting some "down time", we hide in plain sight. B)

Actually i have free use of my hands but choose to use Dragon speech recognition software, however that doesnt excuse the fact a mistake was made on my part.

Today i visited inner city youths at the reluctance of my driver who proferred id be waylaid. Utterly ridiculous! In fact I havent had so much fun in ages! Ive never watched american street basketball and was surprised how aggresive the combatants were. Whilst i watched the game i quickly noticed several african american gentleman involved in chess matches. In the meantime a young gentleman by the name of Devon offered to buy me whatever i desired coke, cannabis, etc. etc. which bi politely declined. Remarkable young man who seemed to have his fingers into everthing. Once a chess match became free i ran the table for about 2 hours explaining the Kasparov gambit amongst others. It was then that i realized how exuberant these american youths really are, imagine that me sitting at a virtual ghetto type environment and not 1 hair on my head was harmed. This is my first visit to the United States and so far im enjoying myself thoroughly. I also discussed in great detail with the streetball players why the world has a negative opinion of America and surprisingly they were all ears even though several made fun of my accent amongst other things. When there game was concluded they resided to the park benches and watched me explain the finer points of chess strategy and how real life closely resembles a fine chess game. Nevertheless im exhausted, and plan on retiring for the evening to a nice bottle of protestant whiskey and a little something my young friend slipped in my pocket....

I won't pontificate on perplexing grammar.

pope_laptop_250.jpg

All the scientists buy books at Amazon.

The Yanks would say "no shit" and i tend to agree, I believe the people i have encountered are not the general norm for America. Instead they appear on the general surface to be exclusionary which makes sense "the intellectuals and affluent". Judging from what ive experienced so far it's best to keep it at a minimum.

chasing whiskey with a diet coke and to think americans actually use this swill in there proper drinks is beyond me.

I'm wondering what's so 'scientific' about this subject that it needs to be in modern science... Seems to me like it's more of a Ten Forward thing.

Anyway, all smart guys/girls are at home behind their computers. Oh and also remember that the US is the nation with the most foreign scientists on their ground/soil/... If you catch my drift... :)

The real-life scientests, are all way too busy to be screwing around a book store. They're all probabally in laborotories, or doing field reserch, or even reading their professional journals / coleauges papers, rather then parusing the latest Stephen King or Tom Clancy best seller.

I have a degree in nutritional science (not a REAL science, I'm the first one to admit), so I KINDA know what I'm taking about. On the other hand, I'm also Canadian, and a filthy commie so take that witha grain of salt.

I'm wondering what's so 'scientific' about this subject that it needs to be in modern science... Seems to me like it's more of a Ten Forward thing.

Anyway, all smart guys/girls are at home behind their computers. Oh and also remember that the US is the nation with the most foreign scientists on their ground/soil/... If you catch my drift... :)

Your wish, is my twisted command.

The USA probably has the highest percentage (what's with using the word percentile all the time?) of scientists because of brain drain rather than anything else.

And yes, I imagine scientists have better things to do than go to hang out in bookshops to be observed for some great "study" of human nature. Personally, I'd question the judgement of anyone that is passing off their hour long experience in a bookstore and down in the ghetto as some kind of meaningful reflection on a nation of 300 million people.

chasing whiskey with a diet coke and to think americans actually use this swill in there proper drinks is beyond me.

Yeah, it's disgusting. Only normal, full-caffeine, full-sugar coke in my whiskey, thanks. Which is Crown Royal, btw... terrible straight, but great mixed.

Yeah' date=' it's disgusting. Only normal, full-caffeine, full-sugar coke in my whiskey, thanks. Which is Crown Royal, btw... terrible straight, but great mixed.[/quote']

Do me a favor and try Crown Royal (liquor) with Royal Crown (cola). I've always wondered if maybe some kinda of zany chemical reaction would take place resulting in some kind of ultimate super beverage. Report your findings if you still live afterwards.

Yeah' date=' it's disgusting. Only normal, full-caffeine, full-sugar coke in my whiskey, thanks. Which is Crown Royal, btw... terrible straight, but great mixed.[/quote']

Do me a favor and try Crown Royal (liquor) with Royal Crown (cola). I've always wondered if maybe some kinda of zany chemical reaction would take place resulting in some kind of ultimate super beverage. Report your findings if you still live afterwards.

Crown Royal is swill imho it's far to sweet and the bite makes you long for more christ even commercial crap like Johny Walker beats it out, at least in the honesty department.

Crown Royal is swill imho it's far to sweet and the bite makes you long for more christ

... sorry, this IS only a part quote, but according to grammar this is definitely a sentance on it's own.

Still... that'd make a VERY catchy sales pitch. "Crown Royal... makes you long for more Christ."

even commercial crap like Johny Walker beats it out' date=' at least in the honesty department. [/quote']

Meh... to each their own. I agree partially, though... wouldn't drink the stuff straight.

Seriously, though, grammar takes a total and complete vacation halfway through your sentance... and if you do apply actual grammar to that, it IS saying that Crown Royal makes you long for more christ. This statement makes your original post seem incredibly ironic (if not hypocritical). Such a mistake requires thinking with genuinely flawed grammar... it's not something that one can blame on a typo, and I can tell you right now that I'd have to literally be trying in order to do such a mistake. For someone so critical about other people's language, you really have to do some serious work on your own.

Heh... 'long for more christ'... XD